Default How was the Catamaran cruise/sail?

Hope to go to Couples Negril this year. If someone has been on the included catamaran cruise/sail please tell me about it because my hubby and I have never been on one. We donít snorkel and Iím wondering if the catamaran sail is mostly to take guests snorkeling and I would be just sitting on the catamaran waiting for others to finish snorkeling for an hour before the sail continues. Do they sail down the island and do you see anything along the way and hear about the island? Please tell me if you have been. Thanks.

Welcome to Couples,

Snorkeling trips are different than the Catamaran cruise. These go out twice a day, weather permitting. Space is limited and you must be on a signup sheet to go. You get on the list at the Water Sports hut. You may go as often as you like. Couples provides the snorkeling gear which is pretty decent. This snorkeling gear can only be used during their snorkeling trips. You will be wearing a life vest while snorkeling. In our opinion this is nice because you can concentrate on the view instead of swimming. You will be in the water for about 30 Jamaican minutes. You may also want to include the Glass Bottom Boat tour if you have not been to the Caribbean. Not a requirement, but you will learn about some of the things you will see while snorkeling.

We always include the Catamaran Cruise at least once during out stay. We have taken this excursion several times and in our opinion it is worth our while. Something important. You must register and get a boarding pass to go on this cruise. This should be done a couple of days in advance. Contact the Guest Services Desk in the main lobby to get your reservation. The Catamaran Cruise is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Make sure your boarding pass is filled out before you go to the beach. Boarding starts at about 3:15 near the Water Sports hut.

This is more of a party cruise. Red Stripe and some mixed drinks included. My wife usually goes for the Red Stripe and I usually have the Rum Punch. They will play some good Reggae and don't be afraid to dance if you like. Or just enjoy the view. You will head south along the Negril shoreline. This is more of a party than a tour. You will be told a little bit about what you see, but not a lot. However, the crew is friendly and you can ask them anything.

About half way through the trip you will stop near some cliffs and a cave. You can go swimming but you are not snorkeling. A lot of the people will swim towards the cave. You can wear a lifejacket if you are not a strong swimmer. We really like the slide. There is a slide on the back of the Catamaran and you drop about 10 feet into the water. A lot of times we are the first people on the slide and we will go several times. This stop lasts about 30 Jamaican minutes.

On our last trip there was something new and somewhat annoying. Several teens were jumping and diving off the cliff. The crew allowed the teens on the boat and they hit us up for tips. Even though we didn't like this we didn't let it ruin the excursion.

After swimming they may or may not take you over to the cliff by Rick's Cafe. On our last trip we didn't go to Rick's We asked one of the crew and he said it is up to the captain's discretion to go to Rick's. They also won't go past the point if the water is the least but rough as it will be worse on the other side of the point. The Catamaran won't dock at Rick's. They will stay about 100 to 150 feet from shore and you can watch Rick's guests and some locals jump from the cliff, entertaining. You won't stay very long, about 10 to 15 Jamaican minutes. Then you head back to the resort. Along the way if the skies are clear you will see a spectacular Negril sunset. You are back the the resort before it is dark.

Don't forget. The Catamaran Crew are not Couples employees and tipping is appropriate. They will happily accept wet cash. We usually give the tip to the captain or the cruise director. You will figure out right away who they are.

Enjoy your stay in Paradise
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

The sunset catamaran from Negril will take you down the shore. You will see several other resorts, restaurants, bars etc. usually (if the water is calm) they will stop and let you jump off to swim into the caves down from a bar called Ricks cafe. You will be required to take a life vest when you exit the boat. There is a slide on top of the boat if you want to have a go also. No snorkeling on the sunset cruise, that is a separate trip you can book! They also stop at Ricks to see some cliff diving.
    Itís very laid back, music and rum punch. You do not HAVE to exit the boat if you wish not to and Iíd say it is stopped for maybe 30min or so, but itís nice to jump in! We love the catamaran cruise and will do it once every time we visit!

Thanks to you both for the reply. Very good info and I appreciate it.

We have enjoyed the catamaran cruise and have noticed birds of a feather flock together. There are those couple who enjoy the views sitting together without interacting with others and then there are the socialites who enjoy laughing and conversing with other couples. The nicest thing is there is no pressure to do anything you don't want to. I went down the slide and swam around while the fiancee' stayed on the boat and took pictures... The rum punch usually is high octane and so you will want to keep that in mind depending on your tolerance levels. Overall, it is a great time no matter what!!!

Quote Originally Posted by c1lafan View Post
    We have enjoyed the catamaran cruise and have noticed birds of a feather flock together. There are those couple who enjoy the views sitting together without interacting with others and then there are the socialites who enjoy laughing and conversing with other couples. The nicest thing is there is no pressure to do anything you don't want to. I went down the slide and swam around while the fiancee' stayed on the boat and took pictures... The rum punch usually is high octane and so you will want to keep that in mind depending on your tolerance levels. Overall, it is a great time no matter what!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing. Sounds fun to me. Sounds like we should go at least once since we havenít been on prior Jamaica visits.

At some Couples they also have a glass bottom boat tour - this is essentially the snorkeling excursion but you don't get out - nice views of the resort and mountains - short trip that is done in less than an hour

The catamaran cruise (as mentioned) is a big party and a lot of fun.

we like to sit on the back of the boat where it's a lot smoother sailing, nice breeze and closer to the rum punch! Not many people back there but usually a crew member that will happily answer any questions you have.

The cruise is NOT to be missed. They are not Couples employees so you can tip a few dollars for the beer or rum punch. They sell other stuff too sometimes like tank tops, jewelry etc. Tip jar is on the jar.
    You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. Sit back and enjoy the ride or try the slide when it stops for a swim. Wear a swimsuit and cover up and bring a towel and your camera. It's a blast and always a highlight of our trip.

Thanks for info - we may check out the back of the boat when we go

The catamaran cruise should not be missed. We have done it each year. Sometimes it's a huge party, and sometimes it's mostly laid back. Depends on the guests that day and sometimes with the crew. You will leave around 3 - 3:30 (I think this may change slightly with different seasons) and sail west/south along the coast. We have never gone as far as Rick's. We always stop at a cave near the Pushcart restaurant. There is a cave you can swim thru if you are up to it. I am a terrible swimmer and have never attempted that. I just get in the water and float around for a while. The wife always stays on the boat.

In 1 or 2 years we have seen dolphins during the sail. During the return sail the sun will set and it will be mostly dark when you return to CN. You do have to wade thru knee deep water to get on and off the boat.

Make sure you book your catamaran trip right away on arrival. The trips fill up, so don't be the ones that are left out. They go out 3-4 days a week, so you have several chances. You sign up at the guest relations desk on the second floor, same floor as the front desk. You will be given a boarding pass and will need that to get on the boat. Don't show up without it!

Just got back from Couples Negril. Great stay. Went on catamaran and enjoyed it. Some catamarans had Couples logo on side, but one going the day we went didnít. Some folks had a little trouble stepping onto the narrow pull down steps from the waist deep water to board the vessel. One gentleman said he had to get his leg with good knee on step to push up his weight. Some persons needed a push from behind by there spouse. We are 60 and didnít have a problem, but one of the crew was trying to rush people down the steps when exiting at the end of the cruise. I just told him I couldnít rush but I was fine going down the little narrow steps. They announced they had restrooms below deck and the were pull flush, but the Ladies room toilet was full of urine at the beginning of cruise and only handle I saw wouldnít flush it. They should check their restrooms at end or beginning of each cruise.
    The cruise along the shore was beautiful and interesting, the stop at the caves was humorous to see some folks swimming through small horseshoe semicircle of small ďcaveĒ and floating around with life jacket under their arms chatting with friends. Fun to watch some slide down the slide and splash into the water. Music great and people danced and drank. More than 30 guests on this trip. About 3 hours long but time goes by easily. Everyone should go at least once. Sign up a couple days ahead at the Guest Relations desk and obtain your boarding pass to sign and take with you.
    Glass Bottom Boat:
    Also did the GLASS BOTTOM boat which was very interesting. It was easier to board than the catamaran as the steps where different somehow. Think the steps had handrail where the catamaran steps didnít. Only about 8 of us on this trip. Guests sit on long benches facing railings were you look down at the windows that view the ocean floor. The Captain Brandon and one crew member Milton, where friendly and provided interesting coral and sea life info with added humor. At one point they stopped near where people were snorkeling and again stopped elsewhere and fed the fish so we could see them over the side feeding. This boat tour was peaceful and relaxing and everyone should go at least once. No drinks served on Glass Bottom trip, but itís only about an hour and a half trip. This glass bottom boat trip seems to go out several times a day and you sign up at the water sports hut. Enjoy!