Thread: ZIKA Question

Default ZIKA Question

I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the ZIKA outbreak all over the Caribbean and, specifically, how Jamaica is with mosquitoes? Do the resorts treat for mosquitoes? Do guests use a lot of bug spray during their stay, especially those at SSB/pool? We will be visiting CSS in 2019 and are curious of the experiences with this. Thanks!

The Caribbean including Jamaica is still under a ZIKA advisory according to the CDC. However, I don't recall ever getting a mosquito bite while on the resort. I would expect the risk would be greater off of the resort, especially in areas with lots of vegetation or standing water. But if you are paranoid, go ahead and use some insect repellent. Choose one that includes Deet.

Something you will find on the resort is sand fleas. They are out after it rains or around the sandy areas after sunset. A good insect repellent helps prevent bites.

Enjoy your stay in paradise.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by J&L View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the ZIKA outbreak all over the Caribbean and, specifically, how Jamaica is with mosquitoes? Do the resorts treat for mosquitoes? Do guests use a lot of bug spray during their stay, especially those at SSB/pool? We will be visiting CSS in 2019 and are curious of the experiences with this. Thanks!
    My husband and I visited CSS last June and didnít see any mosquitoes. We used bug repellent around our ankles/legs in early morning and night and didnít get bit. At home in US the bugs love to bite my husband and he didnít have any bites at CSS. Saw groundskeepers fogging spray around the pond around 5 pm one day, so Iím sure they spray. You should use spray at least on ankles and bare legs due to the ďno see umĒ bugs/knats that hang around beaches and grass even in the US. One year at another resort on the Runaway Bay side of Jamaica there were mosquitoes and Knats all day around water food areas, however CSS was clean and clear of them. Go to Couples and Enjoy!

My wife and I have never had a problem with mosquitoes at CSS or SSB. Mosquitoes generally are most active at dusk so most of the time they would not be an issue while we are at SSB.

If you are not pregnant nor planning to do so, then I would say bring some bug spray and don't worry about it. But if you are then I would touch base with your doctor and follow whatever advice you get there because the consequences can be scary. Some people never get bit by mosquitoes and other folks get eaten up by them just a few feet away. I wear not repellent and seldom get bit in Jamaica, but my wife gets bit by them quite a bit even with deet on. Better safe than sorry depending upon your situation. Always best to work with your doctor IMO.

Awesome, thank you for the info and responses, much appreciated!

Since you posted this in the Au Natural section - there are a couple of spots on SSB and at CN to avoid - or put on bug spray

In general - the mosquitos come out just after dusk - and in places and at times, they can be pretty aggressive - I've had 3 land on me at once!

At SSB - the smoking section, palapas near the trees on the right, and near the trees where the river meets the ocean can be especially bad - even in the middle of the day

And for some reason - at CN - I cannot sit in or near the hot tub without getting bit (but only at dusk)

We had to buy some benadryl last year because once I start itching - any new bite, or even small scratch will itch like crazy and bug spray does not always prevent them - however, I tend to explore more so I take the risk of getting bit - most common areas are mosquito free.

As for Zika - as mentioned - it's really only a concern if you plan to get pregnant anytime soon

There are other tropical diseases to look out for - dengue fever etc... so bug spray is necessary but this it true about every location in the Caribbean - Zika is also present in Florida so you just have to take precautions.

If you are really concerned - I would get off the beach, and head inside immediately before or after sunset and avoid the beach after dark.