Hybrid View

Default Serious concern about safety

Just wondering if the resort has addressed or is even aware of this problem. https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...lt/1520587002/

It seems to be a bigger problem than I could imagine and makes assumptions about the tricky problem of holding people accountable when the victim will not be available to follow through. In essence it is a serious crime with a very unlikely consequence. I know my wife is more than a bit antsy about this one as she likes to run early in the morning.

As a guest, the beach at CTI, CSS and Couples Negril are very private. They donít even have any beach vendors as far as I can recall.

They have security and as I was typing this out on the beach at Swept Away at 5 am, I feel perfectly safe by myself here.
    Amy & Wes
    CSA - 2010, 2011, 2015, 2018
    CTI - 2016
    CSS - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by AmynWes View Post
    As a guest, the beach at CTI, CSS and Couples Negril are very private. They donít even have any beach vendors as far as I can recall.

They have security and as I was typing this out on the beach at Swept Away at 5 am, I feel perfectly safe by myself here.
    Just to clarify this.... CN on Bloody Bay does have vendors and a good bit of foot traffic in front of the resort, not as much as at CSA but is still completely
    unlike CTI and CSS with regard to the lack of vendors and foot traffic along the beach areas at those two resorts.

I agree with the post above that it's important to use the same good sense you would use anywhere when on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    Just to clarify this.... CN on Bloody Bay does have vendors and a good bit of foot traffic in front of the resort, not as much as at CSA but is still completely
    unlike CTI and CSS with regard to the lack of vendors and foot traffic along the beach areas at those two resorts.

I agree with the post above that it's important to use the same good sense you would use anywhere when on vacation.

I dont know if you guys read the article, but the perpetrators here were not vendors or people from off the resort.. these were employees of those resorts. In one case it was a employee they had befriended and he had served them during their stay. On the last day, using the trust he had built up, he lured a woman in a back room.. This is why this is a disturbing trend, we tend to let our guard down when inside the resort. Again, nothing like this has been reported at Couples as far as this article says, and i hope it stays that way.

Definitely disturbing. I certainly hope the perps are bought to justice but its seems the resorts and the tourism industry has much to gain by downplaying it. I didnt see any mention of any incidents at Couples and I would be shocked if so. The staff at Couples is what sets it apart in my opinion.. I would guess they might have more stringent vetting of new employees? Anyway, stay safe out there ladies, Jamaica or not.

Here is my take....just my opinion.
    Too many times as tourists, we tend to think that since it is a popular tourist destination, that it is somehow safe. If you simply use the same precautions and awareness that is needed in your home town, you will increase your chances of being safe while traveling.
    Be aware of your surroundings, do not flash money or jewelry, do not walk off with anyone you meet, be aware of stranger danger and lock your doors.

I am in no way victim blaming, just reminding everyone to use your good senses while you travel.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Yes, I have read the articles and I will still maintain my opinion stated above. Bring your common sense with you on vacation. Realize that the entire world is not a generally safe place, your own hometown may not be a completely safe place. While in Jamaica, pay attention to what you are doing, do not walk off with someone you just met, lock your valuables in the safe or better yet, leave some of them at home. Lock your room door and do not get stupid drunk or partake of too many Jamaican herbs. Do not go on a walkabout looking for herb....it will find you....
    Don't allow yourself to be "lured" anywhere. Remember too that you are visiting a Couples resort and that you should generally be with your significant other.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Questor, thanks for sharing. I will definitely be more cautious when we travel next.

We have been to Swept Away three times and are in the process of planning our fourth trip. I have never felt unsafe or even uncomfortable there, even if I happened to be on the beach or walking around without my husband. As tvon suggested, I think the employees set it apart.

However, this past July, we took our two teenage children--daughter 17 and son 14--to a family resort on the other side of the island. On our second full day, our daughter got overheated and wanted to walk back to the room by herself. This was a short, very public walk. Her first stop was to rinse her feet at the little shower-thing close to the beach. She was literally in our line of sight. One of the waterspouts employees approached her, asked her how old she was, and if she would take him back to her room. She refused. He kept following her, telling her he "wanted her to go back home satisfied" and she needed to taste some Jamaican "bombom." She doubled-back and found us on the beach and immediately told us what happened. I ran to the front desk to complain. Dad was less understanding and went and found the guy and confronted him. He of course denied it but dad told him that if he looked in her direction again he would have him fired. He also spoke to the manager of the waterspouts and got the impression this wasn't the first incident. We never saw the man again--I'm sure he was reassigned for the remainder of our stay. The creepy thing about it was he told my daughter he had been "watching" her and waiting for her to be alone. There can be no victim blaming here; the man was a predator. We were satisfied how the incident was handled by the resort. I also appreciate that our daughter was comfortable enough to immediately report the incident to us so it could be handled. This was a wake-up call for both my daughter and myself to be very cautious.

I think incidents like this probably dont seem like a big deal to the locals but are in fact a big deal to the guests. I think how the resort reacts to them is very important too. There is one troubling report on the CTI tripadvisor reviews site, from Sept 2018, that I dont think was handled well. I'll let you all investigate but needless to say, these sorts of incidents are even making their way to a place like Couples. I hope they take it very seriously as business will surely suffer.

While I would never advise that its 100% safe and you should completely let your guard down, by reading the numbers provided in the article, rape isn't all that common for American tourists in Jamaica. Per the article, of the 1.5 million Americans who visited Jamaica, 12 were sexually assaulted. In context, the reported rape rate in the US is 27 per 100,000 people. The reported rape rate in Alaska is 80 per 100,000.

Right now, I'm more concerned with what goes on outside of the resorts, and perhaps especially en route. In the last week or so there have been numerous incidents of unexplained attacks, shootings, and killings of Jamaicans from the MoBay area, to Sav La Mar and points along the way, including communities near Negril. From the accounts I've read, these attacks seem to be against targeted individuals, but innocents, including young school kids, have been among the casualties.

I truly hope that police and JDF can get a handle on this senseless violence soon!
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"