Thread: CSS Questions

vacationman123 Guest

Default CSS Questions

Hello, We are first timers and I had a couple of questions. I had my decision narrowed down to CTI vs CSS but based on what Iíve read, Iím leaning towards CSS. We are interested in trying AN for the first time and CSS sounds perfect for us. We are in our 40ís and CSS seems like a fun yet laid back vibe which is what we would want.

My questions are:

1) Is the swimming that bad at SSB? It seems silly to be in Jamaica and to not be able to go in the ocean.

2) Is Dunnís a full day away from the resort or is it just a few hours?

3) Iím not sure we will be able to go for a full week? Has anyone gone for like 3 or 4 nights and did you feel like you had enough time to enjoy?

Thanks!

1) Only rocky on the shore. The beach is in a cove so it's a great place to hang out and float on your chair cushion.

2) 15 Minute ride. You're only gone for a few hours.

3) Be aware that you lose about a day of resort time due to travel. You most likely won't arrive at the resort until after 2pm. (90 min. bus ride) Bus departs 4 hours before your flight. (90 min. bus ride) So if you have a 12 pm flight, you can expect to leave CSS at 8am. (At least a 90 minute ride each way).

If you can make it work I would recommend a couple more days. Your going to spend $$$$ on air fare, you might as well get your moneys worth. I understand more days spent there means more money, but it is more cost efficient to stay longer. Life gets in the way and you may not get back for a while, but...you will be back.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

vacationman123 Guest

Great info! Thank you! I completely forgot about how far away from the airport it is. Will definitely try to go for a longer period then.

Hello vactionman,

1) The swimming is not that bad at SSB. It's a little rocky but fine once you get out a bit. As doncindy mentioned...most people float out there on their chair cushions. There's also the main beach and the swimming there is a little better. The swimming is actually worse at CTI, off the AN island, as there's only a small area to enter the water. Along the resort, the swimming is fine at CTI.

2) The Dunn's River Falls trip takes a few hours. The last time we did it we left about 9-10 AM and were back in time for lunch. Not a long trip but lots of fun!

3) We've done "split-stays" before where we've spent 3-4 nights at one resort (i.e. CSS) then switched to the other (i.e. CTI) for 3-4 nights. We would recommend 4 because 3 just doesn't feel like enough to get into "vacation" mode (relaxed). More is obviously better! An option to taking the (~90 minute) shuttle to CSS or CTI is to fly from Montego Bay to the airport in Ocho Rios. Not sure of the cost but...

Hope this helps!!

I love swimming, snorkeling and floating in the water at SSB! The rocks come and go....never really been and issue for me. Also, the White River empties into the ocean very near SSB so you get a cold and warm mix of water.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Totally agree with doncindy's reply. As for the beach, bring water shoes. Once you get past a few rocks near shore, all is good. As for CSS vs CTI, I have been to both. While both have some advantages, for the AN experience we feel that CSS is by far the best.

Compared to the island at CTI, the swimming is fantastic at CSS. If you're not a strong swimmer you need to stay aware if you decide to float - there's a bit of a current from the river that can push you further from shore than you might think. I'm not in great shape, but was able to make it back ok. CSS definitely has the laid back vibe - you can be active if you want, but everyone is willing to accept you spending a day reading/napping on a lounger. I agree with doncindy that longer is better (really all the answers are right), but I know Floridians and others with short direct flights do 4 night trips that aren't possible for those of us further north. If you're new to international travel there are several other threads on this forum that can give you useful info for your trip. It's amazing how often you find answers to questions you didn't know you had until someone else asked.

We are at CSS right now and agree with doncindy's answers. We would suggestat least 7 nights.
    One has to get a ways out for the depth to be sufficient for the australian crawl (Sunset Beach and main beach).

The first year we went (2015), we stayed Mon-Fri; 4 nights but 3 days on the resort. We had a wonderful time and it was all that we could manage that year to get away.It is true that you will spend almost all day on Monday traveling with a mid-afternoon arrival likely. That said, if that is all you can go, I don't think you will be sorry. We have been back 3 more times and found a way to stay 7 nights every year since.

vacationman123 Guest

Thanks again. One last question. How safe is the trip from the airport to CSS? Sorry, Iíve never been to Jamaica.

My husband and I went to CSS last June and really liked it. We stayed 5 nights and it went by too fast. My husband loved SSB and we floated in the water almost every day. We wore our water shoes but others were in the water to the right on SSB and walking in and out without shoes. Once you get past the medium size rocks near the shore it was less rocky. The privacy and shade under the papalas at SSB was wonderful and I had to drag my husband off to the pool, hot tub, and to other wonderful parts of the resort. I wanted to do water sports but we never had time. It least stay 5 or 6 nights as there is a rewards program for future visits for free resort credit etc depending on the number of nights accumulated. We will definitely stay longer next time. May do a split stay at Couples Negril then CSS next year. Loved SSB but also the mineral pool and hidden hot tub on the hills where our room was located. If you must have a beautiful swimming beach, go to Couples Negril as that large bay is wonderful. Enjoy.

Been to Jamaica about 6 times and all the van transportation to main resorts were fine and safe. They are so used to driving back and forth they know the road well. Couples van driver was extra nice and drove well. They all seem to drive fast, and being on the left side and passing on the right takes some getting used to, but youíll be fine. Some guests love to sit up close to the driver for the exciting and interesting ride.

Quote Originally Posted by vacationman123 View Post
    Thanks again. One last question. How safe is the trip from the airport to CSS? Sorry, Iíve never been to Jamaica.
    Very safe. That was our main concern when we first went to Couples over 10 years ago. In all those years and reading this message board, I have never heard of problem with safety. The bus route is on the main road for the entire time and you will see police patrolling the roads as well. No worries!
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

I have never had a concern about safety from the airport to the resort.
    Amy & Wes
    CSA - 2010, 2011, 2015, 2018
    CTI - 2016
    CSS - 2018

Default No problems

Grab a drink or two for the ride and enjoy the ride. Never felt unsafe even when we made bathroom/drink stops along the way.

Itís extremely safe, no issues at all. Grab a couple of beer at the Lou ge and enjoy.

Safe as can be

The drive from the airport is very safe....no worries!
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

One thing I would suggest for arrival is using Club Mobay. Some say you don't need, but I will not arrive without it. It is a service that basically gets you to the front of all the lines between the plane and the Couple's lounge. This will minimize your time in the airport and possibly get you on a shuttle to the resort quicker.

No worries, mon. Leave the driving to the professionals and enjoy the ride...and a Red Stripe!!