Thread: Negril Beach

Default Negril Beach

We are visiting Couples Negril in a couple of weeks. Is it safe to leave personal items like ereaders on the beach while we are in the water? Thank you.

We have never had any issues leaving personal items at our loungers while swimming or going out on the hobbykats.

15 days. Soon come.

Life is good

We've had no problems letting things on our seats.

Irie! Enjoy!

Duane & Mary

He have had no problems leaving items on the beach. We usually just cover everything up with a towel or put everything into a beach bag and zip it closed if we plan to head into the water or grab food/drinks.
    Dave & Rachel
    CTI: October 2009, March 2013, November 2015
    CN: November 2017

Quote Originally Posted by kssr87 View Post
    We are visiting Couples Negril in a couple of weeks. Is it safe to leave personal items like ereaders on the beach while we are in the water? Thank you.
    I wouldn't do it in plain sight, but I have in the past restowed my phone in a beach bag without issue. Couples tries to monitor the beach with security, but it is public beach with some traffic. It could get stolen, so I wouldn't leave an expensive $1000 tablet on the beach. With $80-150 cell phone, sunglasses, and Bluetooth headphones I could rationalize those losses away if it happened, I never have had a problem though.

We have been to Couples Negril for almost 10 years and never have had a problem with people taking our stuff.. However, that being said, I would not leave anything important such as phone, E Reader or any electronic alone and go off. We always like to be on the cautious side. Do I leave things like, my beach bag, water bottle and a book, Yes. There are times when you need to go back to the room or go get something to eat and want to come back to your spot on the beach. So, I would be on the cautious side and take the E reader back to the room before heading out to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by kssr87 View Post
    This is a really good question. Part of me says I wouldn't leave anything expensive on a beach while I was away from my chair anywhere in the world. But I have done it at Couples and I've never lost anything. Here's my approach... I have a bag where I keep a couple of dollars to pay beach musicians. I have also left a Kindle there, but I'm talking about a cheap Kindle (like $70) not a high end one. I might consider leaving my phone in the bag but only because it is an old phone and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost it. Anything more expensive and I wouldn't do it. Not because I think Couples is unsafe... it's probably one of the safest beaches in Jamaica to do this, but because I wouldn't do it anywhere. Having said that and have read about a few thefts at Couples, I've never lost anything to theft either on the beach or in the room. Bottom line: use your common sense!

Oh. I have left my wife on the beach alone a few times. Surprisingly, she was always there when I returned.

Life is good

I think you're fine leaving it while you're in the water - you can see your stuff pretty well from the water

That being said - I would at least cover it up or toss it in a bag to limit the temptation/easy grab

I also wouldn't leave it there if you're not going to be on the beach - we have a pool bag mostly just for this and it goes with us.

To be clear though - in 20 years of going to jamaica we've never had anything stolen from us... and we have left things out many times - both in our room and on the beach.

For my wife though - it's not about the value of the reader - she would be lost without her books on vacation!

...I should add that negril has a lot more people that walk by from other resorts etc... that's the reason to be a bit cautious.

We leave everything out when at tower island and css with zero issues
    Last edited by MichaelAndKristin; October 15th, 2018 at 08:10 PM.

I've left my Kindle at the beach and pool many times. I do put it in my beach bag if my DH isn't around. Never had an issue. I would not leave my iPad. But would not in the U.S. or anywhere else -- it's why I have a Kindle. I've occasionally (rarely) brought my cell phone to the beach/pool. That I do not leave unattended, and would not anywhere.

My view on my Kindle (at Couples, on cruises, etc.) -- I would hate to have it stolen, but the financial cost is minimal if it happens. Bottom line . . . you should not leave anything unattended anywhere that you can't afford to lose.

We don't leave anything of value in plain sight but in our beach bag and still keep an eye on stuff while in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    Oh. I have left my wife on the beach alone a few times. Surprisingly, she was always there when I returned.
    That's a hot commodity!