Default Sunset catamaran cruise

Can someone tell about their experience with the catamaran cruise. Is the one that is included at Couples Negril a sunset cruise? On TA reviews a guest mentioned to take the Sunset catamaran cruise and it was worth every penny. In another review a guest said the resorts catamaran staff were not very friendly nor helpful and the Couples resort manager replied that they hire the catamaran and crew for that trip and would discuss the issues with the owners of the cat.
    So my question is whether the included sailing is a Sunset one? Is there another sailing that guests purchase? Please share any experience regarding a catamaran cruise from CN.
    Thanks.

The catamaran cruise at CSA and CN is an included excursion at no extra cost and you are usually cruising back to the resort right around sunset. Also, the staff on the Catamaran are not Couples staff- there might be a Couples representative that joins you on the cruise who collects the signed slips you are required to sign to board the catamaran. So you will need to bring some $ if you wish to tip the catamaran staff since they are not Couples employees-(alcohol is included on this excursion). Typical route is from Couples Negril or Swept Away along coast to western part of Negril-til the lighthouse) they make a brief stop at Ricks -(you remain on the catamaran) then they take you to a cave area where you can jump in and swim through the cave. They also have a slide on 2nd level of Catamaran which you can slide off during the period they let you swim in the caves-(if you are not a strong swimmer and even if you are a strong swimmer, they will give you life jackets that you can put around your waist during the time they give you in the caves/water. It is a great time especially your first time- we've been on many So I think total time is roughly a couple hours

Yes you can also get a private catamaran cruise too but at your cost- I could not tell you price for a private cruise or the route they take since we have always elected to take included and FREE cruise. One other thing to note, if you have a dinner at any of the reservation restaurants, make sure you schedule a later reservations the day you do the Catamaran cruise since you will get back right as sun sets which is about usual time all the restaurants are opening for dinner service.

The one provided by the resort at no cost is not necessarily a sunset cruise. It leaves at about 3:00 or 3:30 so depending on time of year it may still be sunny when you return at 5:30 or 6:00. We did it and loved it. You get to swim into a small cave and watch local kids cliff jump and dive for tips. The ride back to the resort is a party...we highly recommend it. I don't have any experience wih a separate cruise that you pay for.

There is a catamaran cruise that is included that leaves about 3-3:30 and gets back about 5:30 that is free and the boat holds alot of people. The resort also has an excursion that you can pay for that is a private sunset cruise. We have done and enjoyed both but the private cruise was exceptional IMO.

Thanks everyone

We have been on the CN sunset cruise 5 times in the last 4 years. It has never stopped at Rick's. We have not gone that far down the coast. This has been in October, so perhaps this varies with the season. Or perhaps the CSA trip goes that far.

We sail to the cliff area near the Pushcart restaurant. There is a cave you can swim thru and there are kids who dive from the cliffs for tips. But that is not Ricks.

Some trips it has been a real party. Others, somewhat subdued. It depends on the mood of the crowd on each trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Debbie View Post
    We have been on the CN sunset cruise 5 times in the last 4 years. It has never stopped at Rick's. We have not gone that far down the coast. This has been in October, so perhaps this varies with the season. Or perhaps the CSA trip goes that far.

We sail to the cliff area near the Pushcart restaurant. There is a cave you can swim thru and there are kids who dive from the cliffs for tips. But that is not Ricks.

Some trips it has been a real party. Others, somewhat subdued. It depends on the mood of the crowd on each trip.
    We have been going to Couples Negril for 12 years and the Cat Cruise has never gone as far as the Lighthouse or Rick's Café. I believe the one from Swept Away usually goes as far as Rick's but doesn't allow you to get off there.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Wally is correct

CSA and CN are contracted with the same company for the Catamaran Cruise. This company owns three catamarans, all nearly identical. We have taken the Catamaran Cruise several times, from CN and CSA. We have gone to Rick's most times but not every time. On our last trip we didn't go to Rick's. We asked one of the crew members why and were told it is the Captain's discretion if you go as far as Rick's. Another time we were told the ocean was to rough past the point going out towards Rick's.

Something funny happened on our last trip. We left from CN. When we returned the captain tried to drop us off at CSA. He forgot which resort he was going to. When he figured out what happened he brought us to CN. No big deal, just a little funny.

Enjoy your stay in paradise
    Last edited by Mad Jack; October 5th, 2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Typo correction
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

I was at CN in 2010 and CSA in 2012...took the Cat Cruise each time and both times it went to Ricks. I guess, as Mad Jack stated..it must be up to the captain. Going back to CN in May and sure hope we get to see divers at Ricks during the cruise. We're bringing along a few friends and have really hyped up the idea of it going to Ricks. Either way I'm sure it will be a blast...can't wait!

The private cruise is awesome! We have done it 4 times. At CN, I recall it is $300 for a couple...or $200 per couple if multiple go (not eligible for resort credit). There is a new catamaran ("Seas The Day" I think, minimum $600) that we went out on in December with 2 other couples. It was fantastic and worth every penny. It's pretty big (4 bathrooms), so I think you could probably take a dozen couples or more.

The resort provided sunset cruise (included in your stay) can be really fun. We have done that one maybe 3 or 4 times. More times than not these days, sand gravity wins and we blow this one off...but will go again someday.

Hi Bert,
    Do you have more information on the "Seas The Day" catamaran? I am trying to plan something for my 60th in August with 6 other couples - sounds like the Seas The Day catamaran will work for us. Thanks in Advance!

Default Private Catamaran for couples negril or "Seas The Day" catamaran

Hi Bert,
    Do you have more information on the "Seas The Day" catamaran? I am trying to plan something for my 60th in August with 6 other couples - sounds like the Seas The Day catamaran will work for us. Thanks in Advance!

Smokey - I would suggest getting in touch with the Couples activity people (I forget what the call them) and schedule as soon as you know. We had to switch days because the boat we wanted was already booked. I think Seas The Day is almost brand new. It is a large, comfortable catamaran, 4 bathrooms (2 on each side). There will be plenty to drink and light snacks. There is a captain and a Water Sports team member to host you. They will take you wherever you want to go. Once at CN, we went to the north side of Bloody Bay to see the condos out on that point, then headed south past the lighthouse. It's a fun time.

Default Private Catamaran for couples negril or "Seas The Day" catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Smokey - I would suggest getting in touch with the Couples activity people (I forget what the call them) and schedule as soon as you know. We had to switch days because the boat we wanted was already booked. I think Seas The Day is almost brand new. It is a large, comfortable catamaran, 4 bathrooms (2 on each side). There will be plenty to drink and light snacks. There is a captain and a Water Sports team member to host you. They will take you wherever you want to go. Once at CN, we went to the north side of Bloody Bay to see the condos out on that point, then headed south past the lighthouse. It's a fun time.
    " Thank you so much"

Thank you so much!