Thread: Disconnecting

Default Disconnecting

Our annual trip to CN is the one and only time during the year when I fully disconnect from work. I usually go the week with only checking email one time. However, for some reason, I'm having this nagging feeling I won't be able to let go this year. Any tips on how you disconnect?

Don't have an international plan and put it in the safe as soon as you check in!

Seriously having the same thoughts now as we count down to trip number six. Mainly because our phones are now our primary cameras. And since you already have them out....?

Quote Originally Posted by Alamere View Post
    Our annual trip to CN is the one and only time during the year when I fully disconnect from work. I usually go the week with only checking email one time. However, for some reason, I'm having this nagging feeling I won't be able to let go this year. Any tips on how you disconnect?
    Rum!!! . I turn off my phone at the airport and don't turn it back on until i return. No internet. Then more rum.

I wish I could help. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't have the luxury of disconnecting. He has to check his work email everyday. The good thing is, his people know where he is and do try to let him have a good vacation. So, if there is any way you can let people know you are on vacation, and to take care of any details before you go, do it. It is a luxury. Enjoy yourself. I hope you are able to disconnect and focus on the person you came with.
    One Love,
    Mya

When I'm on vacation, I make that perfectly and unmistakably clear to anyone who make think otherwise. I am not tempted to check work email or anything else work related. But maybe that's just me.
    Janice and Keith in FL

CTI 2009
    CN 2010 2011 2012 2013 2015

CSS 2014

Our motto is turn off the phones and stay away from anything that runs off electricity. It takes me a couple of days to relax and then sand gravity takes over. Itís vacation!

Life is good

I have a hard time disconnecting but it was made easier this time at CN because the wifi wasn't working well in our room in building 2 (they know they have an issue & it's being addressed & was discussed at the repeater's dinner) so it was down 99.9% of the 9 days we were there. We both turn our phones off when we board the plane to go & don't turn them on again until we land back in the states but do take our tablets to use for e-mail. Refused to take them to go looking for a good wifi connection or going to the internet cafe so just lived "unconnected" & funny thing is, the world kept turning.
    Julie

This is not always easy to do. I am the only I.T. person in our little company. When something goes wrong, things can bet very bad very quickly. So the company I work for insists that I stay in touch. They respect that I am on vacation and they rarely bother me.

Preparation helps. I have written step by step guides for them to use for many situations. If they look in this book first they can avoid contacting me. Before I leave I try to do everything possible so that our network can run on autopilot while I am away.

I only take my cell phone with me. 99.99% of the time it is locked away in our room safe. I will only use it to check my email a couple of times a day. I am an early riser. I will check my email while having some coffee on the balcony before my wife wakes up. There may also be a little time before dinner while my wife is getting ready.

Other than that, I completely forget about work. As others have said, lots of rum helps.

Mad Jack,
    My husband is an early riser too. He checks it early Morning, then is usually good for the rest of the day. He has only twice had to actually talk to someone at work while on vacation.
    One Love,
    Mya

I refuse to even think about work while on vacation. The only thing I will look at and this depends on the wifi quality, is FB on my iphone. I can keep in touch with family and friends, and I love to take pictures of paradise and post them to make all of them jealous!!! They do the same to me, so it's payback!! And I will only do that in the morning while enjoying my coffee and in the evening while my wife is making herself beautiful for dinner!!

We don't disconnect. There's no reason to kid ourselves, even though we're away from home, home is still there and it's almost a necessity to check in. No phone calls, but we check email in the morning and again in the late afternoon. The rest of the day is ours.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

The best tip I have - start your vacation the minute you walk out of work!

Start ignoring work immediately - don't check email one last time at home, before the flight, when you arrive etc.

By the time you get to Jamaica you should be ready to let go completely.

Also - give your closest co-worker a number or email address they can reach you in an emergency - that way unless they call - you know everything else can wait.

And. .. if you can't put your device away, at least turn off work email notifications! You don't need the extra temptation.

I also disable the email account on my phone so I'm not even tempted to check.

Otherwise - it's all about preparation - we travel in October - I've already informed my boss I will be off and out of country those days and I will plan my projects around being off to lessen the chance of an emergency.

But mostly - I know that as long as they can reach me, but they haven't - then I know all is good and I can relax.

Sometimes I find it beneficial to do 15 minutes of work per day while on vacation. It lets me clear out the easy stuff and not return to 500 e-mails. (I am fairly confident that a few people reading this will relate to that feeling of returning to work & being overwhelmed by the glut of e-mail...the daily 15 can eliminate that horror and actually make for a better disconnect...yes, ironic, but works for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Sometimes I find it beneficial to do 15 minutes of work per day while on vacation. It lets me clear out the easy stuff and not return to 500 e-mails. (I am fairly confident that a few people reading this will relate to that feeling of returning to work & being overwhelmed by the glut of e-mail...the daily 15 can eliminate that horror and actually make for a better disconnect...yes, ironic, but works for me)
    Bert, I agree!
    One Love,
    Mya

Unless the email says "The server is on fire!" or "911 HELP!" I usually just ignore it.

We had a scheduling snafu where our stay got shifted a day during Christmas because our plane out of Nashville broke.
    A coworker emailed me thinking I was back in the states.
    I did reply to his email to let him know what was up but I also attached a picture of where we were sitting on the beach just to drive the point home. LOL

I love not knowing what is going on in the world. Any company that cant get along without you is in serious trouble. What if you had a heart attack or you died. I'm sure they would keep running. At CSA the first part of December there was a lady that was constantly on her tablet and phone doing business. Her poor boyfriend or husband was her goffer. She would tell him get me this or that. I felt so sorry for him. I would have told her you'll see you later. It was annoying hearing her conduct business. Learn to disconnect, that's what your there for and enjoy !!!!!! no worries Mon

This was a good one too... But seems even more relevant these days with our smart phones with apps that never stop buzzing.

I now have a couple of other tips:

1> I now only bring my phone - no tablets, and definitely no laptop - work will have to get along without me

2> I found myself still getting my phone out to see the time and many times I would start using the phone without even realizing it - so I bought a "caribeaner watch" off amazon - attaches to our beach bag so a quick glance will tell us what time it is

3> Now the phone goes in the safe except for one or two days that I'll choose to take pictures.

Wife keeps her phone on her for emergencies/kids

Last year was an amazing trip and I know these tips helped me disconnect and unwind.

We tell EVERYONE at home that we wonít have phone access, then lock phones and iPad in the safe. I only looked at iPad once or twice briefly when in room, but we didnít look for work stuff. Just think to yourself, itís too much trouble to unlock the vault, use the device, make sure to lock up again, when you can be back out enjoying the resort and each other. Have fun! Oh, and if at CSS, go to SSB and relax ďwithoutĒ.

In Jamaica, I generally disconnect. But depending upon your job, there is a case to be made for staying connected just a little bit.

When I take time off over the Christmas holiday (sometimes as long as 2 weeks), I will check e-mail daily, maybe work for 45-60 minutes. This lets me clear out the trash, quickly respond to the easy stuff and anticipate "heavy lifts" for when I get back. The value of this 45-60 minutes? I don't get crushed upon return to work making me question if taking time off is worth it. It eases the return. That said, completely disconnecting is awesome!

At the risk of sounding like a crazy/angry old guy- we'd be far better off if we all were "disconnected" more frequently- whether on vacation or not.

We text the kids "It's all good" so they know we made it. We then throw all electronics and watches into the safe. We check our emails in the middle of the week to see if there are any emergencies and then back into the safe. It's our time to reconnect and recharge. No worries.

Life is good