Default Condition of SSB at CSS

We’re heading to CSS in September and are wondering on the condition of SSB. We were there last year in September and the beach was a mess. Granted it was after the big hurricane hit but it didn’t look like much was being done to clean it up. Can anyone who’s been there recently give some feedback as to the condition of the beach? Thanks so much.

We were there in June. SSB was great. Very clean and well maintained.

We were there in April for a trading places day and the beach was clean and perfect.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

Quote Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
    We’re heading to CSS in September and are wondering on the condition of SSB. We were there last year in September and the beach was a mess. Granted it was after the big hurricane hit but it didn’t look like much was being done to clean it up. Can anyone who’s been there recently give some feedback as to the condition of the beach? Thanks so much.
    SSB was fine when we were there last month. River came in to far left. Pebbles as usual, wear water shoes though several couples went in without them. Several couples in water and on beach. They had equipment that moved sand to cover some high tide standing water. Plenty of chairs and papalas. Very small hill to left but rest of beach frontage was easy access to water. We enjoyed floating on our floats. Beach was clean and couple of inches of sand near chairs but hard packed sand/dirt closer to pool. Had GREAT stay and can’t wait to return.

That's interesting as we were there in November of last year and I wouldn't have known anything was recently wrong with SSB.

There was more sand than I have ever seen - it went all the way down the fence along the river.

If you're referring to trash or stuff on the beach itself (well, not really on the beach - but it collects where the river and beach meet on the rocky section) - they clean the trash everyday - but once a week or so, they get a few guys out with the tractor to get it really cleaned and remove larger objects.

Name:  ssb beach.jpg
Views: 5051
Size:  225.5 KB

We were there in April and though the beach was in good shape.

I always look forward to finding out where the river ends when I go. It has never been in the same place twice.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your comments. We can't wait until September for our stay in Paradise.

So, the White River Sand Bar was directing water right down the SSB beach this time. Even the boats had to maneuver towards the SSB swim area, go around the sand bar, and then out to sea. A few of the boats tried to motor over the bar, but all of them got stuck and the fishermen had to get out and time their escape with oncoming waves. Who knows where it will be after Isaac comes by.

Do you need water shoes to swim at SSB? is the bottom rocky or sharp? Or is it sandy?

Definitely need water shoes, its a rocky bottom.

You can do with or without. We have done with or without. We prefer with. Not sharp, but level of rocks depends on weather/tide. I recommend you bring them just in case.

You want shoes but mostly because of sea urchins - http://couples.tips/2018/06/20/sea-urchins-ow/

Last October was pretty good as there weren't a lot of them but just one can put a dent in your vacation plans

There is a bit of a trick to SSB that will help you avoid them - the sea urchins do not like the fresh water coming from the river - where the river and ocean meet you will see a sand bar that you can walk on - if you follow the river out into the ocean you will be cold, but you will have sandy bottom with few to no urchins

Going back again in one week to SSB and can’t wait. This is our 7th time. Thanks for the continued updates on the beach and the sea urchins, usually wear water shoes and don’t want to meet any by accident.

Will be there in 2 weeks. What is the current ocean temperature?

This past October SSB was unlike I had ever seen - the river was split in two at the beach and in the middle was a nice, long sand bar.

The nice thing is if you ventured out onto the sand bar you had a wonderful sandy beach with warm water that got deep pretty quickly.

I swam every single day at SSB for hours...

Will be there in March and will let you know how it's changed.

MichaelAndKristin - this is fascinating. We were there early December and river was not split, pretty much straight out. We swam. That cold river water does impact shrinkage.

No idea what it looks like now but in March it was amazing!

The river was no longer split and the sand bar was still there from October - you were actually able to go on a small walk all the way down to the big trees (past the basketball courts)

And the sand bar was pretty far out and created this awesome beach with warm water and sandy bottom.

Was amazing.

The summer storms will likely shift things around but hoping it stays.