Default Does SSB at CSS open the gate at 9 am now?

The Couples app states SSB opens at 9 am. Did those of you who traveled after April 1st find this to be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by foreverbarefootSXM View Post
    The Couples app states SSB opens at 9 am. Did those of you who traveled after April 1st find this to be the case?
    The gate opened at 8:00 in November - hopefully it has not changed as I didn't think that was early enough.

I believe the website has always said 9:00am - even before the gate/fence was even installed so hopefully that's just old information...

If it has changed - that would suck - and I'd like them to re-think that policy as many of us get up with the sun and would like to be out on the beach asap... (We're getting old - don't have much time left - give us all the time we can!!!)

Unfortunately that rule seems to have been created because people go down at the crack of dawn, reserve a chair, then don't return for hours...it's tough on us who actually are early risers who want to go to the pool early, but I can see how it's a tough thing to police.

I think the SSB facilities are to be "open for business" at the official hour of 9:00 am. In February, the gates had previously been opening at 7:00 (or whenever). Then, since too many people were saving too many chairs, that was changed to 8:00. Anything left too long unattended was supposedly going to be removed from a chair. None of this - gate opening time or clearing unattended chairs seemed to be enforced. What should have been just a matter of respect between guests did not work. Some people "reserved" large groups of chairs, up to a dozen. One day we sat next to two chairs of such a group and those two were completely unused until about 11:30 am. I get that it's vacation and you may want or need to sleep in, but you should be on your own for prime lounger space.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverbarefootSXM View Post
    Hi Everyone: Thanks for the responses. I donít mind 8 am as I hope to have a quick breakfast bite before settling in at SSB and staying if shade is sufficient. I like the idea that people canít save a large number of loungers before 8 am. 9 am seemed a little late, so I hope they stay with the 8 am gate opening time. Thanks.

Default Respect

Quote Originally Posted by BirdDog71 View Post
    I think the SSB facilities are to be "open for business" at the official hour of 9:00 am. In February, the gates had previously been opening at 7:00 (or whenever). Then, since too many people were saving too many chairs, that was changed to 8:00. Anything left too long unattended was supposedly going to be removed from a chair. None of this - gate opening time or clearing unattended chairs seemed to be enforced. What should have been just a matter of respect between guests did not work. Some people "reserved" large groups of chairs, up to a dozen. One day we sat next to two chairs of such a group and those two were completely unused until about 11:30 am. I get that it's vacation and you may want or need to sleep in, but you should be on your own for prime lounger space.
    Iím sorry to hear this account. What are we back in high school now?

Reserving blocks needs to stop

Reserving chairs for serveral hours needs to stop

What should have been respect towards all other guests, this will need to be enforced by management. I hope Couples manager reads this. Remove reserved chairs please, after an hour. That would actually fix it. There would be chairs in good locations for everyone.

Few people are there sunrise to sunset, and those who that are donít need hours of saved seat empty time.

Couples AN compared to public nude beaches are awesome (!!!) because Couples enforces behavior rules. Looks like this behavior needs to be tamed.

I could see where Management would have issues if they implement removing guestís belongings from chairs. Besides, I may be at the bar, pool, lunch tables or floating for more than an hour chatting with new friends before returning to my beach lounge. However, I understand that a cluster of unused saved chairs would upset some guests. Iíll just be sure to arrive on time and use ours. Besides, my hubby will probably be relaxing so much, sand gravity will take over LOL.

Even now with the gate closed, there are those that will try to skirt the rules.

In November, there was a guest who would come out late at night and leave his towels and a pair of underwear on chairs to reserve his "spot".

The staff (of course) wouldn't touch it.

Around 11:00 they would finally show up to boast - "HA! it worked"

This went on for a few days but another guest got tired of that, picked up a stick and chucked his underwear into the bushes and cleared the towels.

When they finally showed up not a single person knew what the guy was talking about "underwear?, what? You're going to have to speak up mate - not sure what you're talking about..." The best part is the guest who moved the stuff did not sit in that seat, so the people sitting in the seat truly had no idea what the guy was talking about.

I think it's pretty easy to tell when token things are left to reserve a spot (a book, two dirty towels, underwear!) - vs - when a guest is just eating lunch or having fun and will be right back but I do understand why the staff doesn't want to get involved.

I just wish people would realize that it's just not necessary at SSB - if you want the best spot, just get up early and join us

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAndKristin View Post
    Even now with the gate closed, there are those that will try to skirt the rules.

In November, there was a guest who would come out late at night and leave his towels and a pair of underwear on chairs to reserve his "spot".

The staff (of course) wouldn't touch it.

Around 11:00 they would finally show up to boast - "HA! it worked"

This went on for a few days but another guest got tired of that, picked up a stick and chucked his underwear into the bushes and cleared the towels.

When they finally showed up not a single person knew what the guy was talking about "underwear?, what? You're going to have to speak up mate - not sure what you're talking about..." The best part is the guest who moved the stuff did not sit in that seat, so the people sitting in the seat truly had no idea what the guy was talking about.

I think it's pretty easy to tell when token things are left to reserve a spot (a book, two dirty towels, underwear!) - vs - when a guest is just eating lunch or having fun and will be right back but I do understand why the staff doesn't want to get involved.

I just wish people would realize that it's just not necessary at SSB - if you want the best spot, just get up early and join us
    Thanks for sharing the story - I had to laugh - things some people will do - we will be there, counting the days 😀

These chair hogs are really causing problems for Couples and for those of us who play fair...it's a shame they just can't be courteous and understand first come, first choice applies to those who actually show up and stay. These type people started creating big problems on cruise lines some time ago and really diminished the cruise experience (which has completely gone to hell now)...I get very tired of people who don't understand why people think jumping the que is acceptable behaviour.

Good for Couples for trying to solve the problem...keep it up.
    Last edited by Gatekeeper; May 1st, 2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    These chair hogs are really causing problems for Couples and for those of us who play fair...it's a shame they just can't be courteous and understand first come, first choice applies to those who actually show up and stay. These type people started creating big problems on cruise lines some time ago and really diminished the cruise experience (which has completely gone to hell now)...I get very tired of people who don't understand why people think jumping the question is acceptable behaviour.
    The Couples staff should do a check first thing in the morning before opening the gate and put anyone's belongings in a laundry bag. The bag should be taken to the main desk and the owners can go to the desk and identify their belongings to claim the bag. This issue is really easy to solve, but management needs to step up. What is sad is that most people are respectful of others.

(bump) - wondering if anyone who recently came back knows what time SSB is opening these days... In November it was 8:00.

Maybe Michelle G. will chime in and tell us they've reconsidered and that I'm right - 7:00 is more appropriate

(Seriously - there's a lot of daylight between 6:00 and 8:00 - even more before 9:00 - we're all getting old and don't have much time left - give us our early mornings back

We were at CSS from 7 May for 2 weeks. We have previously very much enjoyed experiencing SSB for an hour or so before breakfast. First morning I arrived at SSB at 6.30am and the gates were open. However very quickly the security guard approached and politely advised me that the beach was not open until 6.45am. Later that morning I spoke with one of the SSB lifeguards who also confirmed that the beach is closed until 6.45. This is despite the new sign on the gate which states it opens at 9.00am. For the rest of our stay the gate opened at 6.45 (or soon afterwards as it was indeed actually locked some days).
    I would add that the hotel (and SSB) were not very busy whilst we were there. Also, the number of palapas and available sunbeds (new type this year) continue to increase.

Yeah! ~6:45ish is very cool as I like to go to the mineral pool just before 6:00 to soak in the sauna/ocean and head over to SSB to start the day.

It was 06:45 when we were there in April. Resort was busy but you could find a shaded lounger at any time of day!

6:45 is very good...hopefully they are still controlling the chair hoarders.

Stayed at CSS last week and SSB was great. Gate was already open at 7 a.m. when we arrived at SSB and continued to be open early each day. Though there was no sea weed, staff was raking and cleaning up leaves, etc. from the beach in early a.m. and one morning the small tractor with front end loader had scooped up sand and filled a little of the water spot left after high tide and river so it was easy walk out to beach from our chairs. I can see why in the past they may not have wanted guests in before they did that clean-up. Itís kind of like your guests arriving at your house before your party is ready for them. But now Iím sure they realize we just want to settle in and relax. Saw no groups of loungers being saved. Plenty of empty loungers each day and about 20 large papalas for shade which were great and we used one daily. Towels arrived at least by 9 a.m. and bar opened at 10 am each morning. Everything was great. We counted about 60 - 70 persons at SSB pool and beach, yet there was plenty of room and loungers and we loved the way the beach loungers are spaced. Iíll post more comments in a separate post.
    Just letting everyone know that you can still arrive early, put down your towel and things, and go to breakfast and come back without any problem. Even when we spoke to a staff worker and guard (just as we walked by) saying we would be back from breakfast soon, they smiled and said no problem, see you soon.