Default Bob Marley - Music is Love

Been to all 4 Couples Resorts over a 15 year span and given the same complaint and reviews every time. First let me say I Love Couples! Just left CSA on Tuesday. My biggest complaint in every review is that I come to Jamaica for the people and the vibe as well as the beach. Bob Marley is known and respected all over the world for his beautiful music! I have pictures of Marley posters from all over the world. I don't come to Jamaica to hear John Denver and Michael Jackson ( no offence - excellent musicians though they may be ). I realize that Marley has some political music that the organization might not want to play to vacationers, but One Love! Many of Marley's songs are quite non-political and show the roots of reggae and spread peace, love and the Jamaican spirit. Peace - One Love!

Quote Originally Posted by phillybella View Post
    Been to all 4 Couples Resorts over a 15 year span and given the same complaint and reviews every time. First let me say I Love Couples! Just left CSA on Tuesday. My biggest complaint in every review is that I come to Jamaica for the people and the vibe as well as the beach. Bob Marley is known and respected all over the world for his beautiful music! I have pictures of Marley posters from all over the world. I don't come to Jamaica to hear John Denver and Michael Jackson ( no offence - excellent musicians though they may be ). I realize that Marley has some political music that the organization might not want to play to vacationers, but One Love! Many of Marley's songs are quite non-political and show the roots of reggae and spread peace, love and the Jamaican spirit. Peace - One Love!
    Just wondering if musicians (anywhere) are allowed to play another artistís music without applying, getting permission, and paying a big fee? I know laws are different in different countries. I would like to hear Jamaican or Caribbean music also, however we donít hear it in our Caribbean travels.

I like reggae and I love it when in Jamaica. Perhaps the staff is sick and tired of hearing Bob Marley tunes though. On another note, I wish the steel drum band would not play so many American / British hits and stick to Caribbean music. Hits from the 70's, 80's etc... on a steel drum just doesn't soound right to me. This............. is my only complaint.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

I actually spoke to some members of the staff about this issue and they agreed with me that there was too much "American 70,80,90" music and not enough of the mento/reggae music that is a part of their heritage and culture. I was informed by a bartender that they are not permitted to play whatever they want. As it is the steel drum band Positive Vibrazions did play two Bob Marley numbers, but then proceeded to continue with the American Pop. I would love to hear something back from the powers that be. My only response has been "we will send your suggestion to the appropriate department head"! Don't know who that is, but in 15 years they've never responded.

I have been complaining about this for at least a decade, including reviews here and at Tripadvisor. A few years ago after I had heard the band do 15 minutes of dynamite Reggae on "Reggae Night" before resorting to wedding singer music I went up after the performance to chat up the band leader. I asked if there was a reason he wasn't playing more Reggae and whether he had been told what to play by the management. He said no, that they played a lot of Reggae the rest of the week (at other resorts) and were looking for a break. He suggested I come back the next night. I did and they blew the house down with a fabulous evening of Reggae. As I was leaving, he was standing next to the bar and asked what I thought. I told him I was amazed and thanked him profusely. The lesson here is you can have an impact on this if you strike up a conversation.

When I first went to CSA in 2001, there was a house band there featuring Markie Mark who played most nights. They were a Reggae only band and they were absolutely incredible. Mr. Mark was killed in a traffic accident a few years later and it just hasn't been the same since then.

na
    Last edited by Gatekeeper; April 25th, 2018 at 07:56 PM.

Thank you for the lesson. I will definitely try speaking directly to the musicians, as the management that I have spoken to were evasive. There was a lot more Reggae influence when we first started coming to Couples in 2002. One love...

This thread reminds me of a constant discussion on a message board for my favorite band. They mix the setlist up every night but have settled into a rotation of 5-8 of their most popular songs and rotate in 3-5 deeper cuts. Us hardcore fans want more of the deeper stuff because we've seen the band so many times. I have to remind folks that the we make up the very vocal minority and the band is still trying to satisfy the most people possible. Same can be said about us Reggae fans. As much as we enjoy reggae there are probably more that aren't as interested. It's the 80/20 rule.

No worries Gatekeeper! One love...

What a great insight! As the wife and mother of musicians I should have thought of that myself - hahaha. Next visit I will try Inthesun's suggestion - speaking directly to the band & keep in mind the 80/20 rule. I must say the being annoyed by "wedding singer music" is really trivial & I should just get over it, but Marley is my One Love...

I agree. I actually get to listen to more reggae on the satellite radio back in the states then live in Jamaica. John Denver? Only if it's the cover of Take Me Home, Country Roads by Toots & The Maytals!