Thread: Snorkeling

Default Snorkeling

I do not know how to swim an the snorkeling kind of scares me. My question is... has anyone did the glass bottom boat and is it as good as going snorkeling? Do you see as many fish and just as clearly? Or do I just need to try snorkeling? Thanks

IMO snorkeling is better. When we went at css they required everyone to wear a life jacket. Maybe that will help put your fears to rest. I really think you’ll enjoy it.

Welcome to Couples.

We have done both and in my opinion snorkeling is much better. You will see fish during the glass bottom boat ride but you will see more and they will be closer while snorkeling. Snorkeling is one of our favorite activities and we may go several times during our stay.

Even though we can both swim we always wear a life jacket while snorkeling. Depending upon the resort this is not an option and you must wear the life jacket. We wear the life jacket so we can just float around and enjoy the view instead of also concentrating on the swimming. We have also seen where a guide had some food and there were hundreds of fish swimming close to us. Very cool.

If you wear a life jacket you will be safe. Just be careful not to get too close to the reef. The coral is sharp and can cut you. Give it a try. You can always go back to the bot anytime you like.

Enjoy your stay in paradise.

Only 41 more days until CN.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

First, the glass bottom boat, as nice as they are, are no comparison to actually snorkeling. The water is very clear, and you can see a lot, but it is not the most comfortable thing, as you will have to lean over to get a good view. You also won't be able to move around at your leisure like snorkeling. Now a bit on safety. I am not saying the Couples boats are a danger in any way, as the water-sports guys and the boat captains and crew are all very professional, but I am not sure that if I could not swim, I would ever get on any boat. They do give everyone a life vests, but one never really knows what will happen.

What resort are you going to? I have done snorkeling at both CSA and CSS, I preferred CSS. When are you going? If you have the time, you could get swimming lessons at your local YMCA. To snorkel, you don't need to be a high caliber swimmer, as you just basically float around. They do ask you to wear the life vest while snorkeling (although I have seen many go without), so as long as your comfortable just floating, the vest won't let you go under. Really the hardest part of the trip is getting back into the boat.

First visit to CN (first visit to the Caribbean) next week. Would like to know whether gear is provided and particularly whether prescription masks are available. Thanks for any help.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter&Marti View Post
    First visit to CN (first visit to the Caribbean) next week. Would like to know whether gear is provided and particularly whether prescription masks are available. Thanks for any help.
    Peter
    No prescription masks and if you want to snorkel anytime other than on the boat trip, then you'll need to bring your own.

No prescription masks I don't think. MRJS , you gotta learn how to swim! Everyone should know how to swim man. You are missing out 😍✌💕

Hi,
    Back from CN and night snorkel. Good news, the equipment worked fine (although not corrected vision) and the operation/boat ride went smoothly. So-so news, the experience was underwhelming. Around CN there is not really much habitat to support much marine life and diversity. In addition at night, colors are muted, even with artificial light. I had the most difficulty with the flotation vest making it difficult to snorkel in a relaxed fashion. The vest kept riding up and choking me or flipping my fins out of the water. May have been a problem with arranging straps, but I would have very much liked to simply swim, which I do fine. Also at night, you have to spare an eye for the group so you don't get left behind. I think they made a movie about this. Finally, the distance from the surface to the marine life was much larger than I am used to snorkeling in Hawaii, for example. Did see stingrays, pufferfish, seastars, coral and, purportedly turtles and lobsters.

Probably should have followed up with daytime snorkeling, but sand gravity caught us.

Default Not to be deterred

Perhaps not a surprise that we've already booked our return, this time to CSS in October. Our question this time is whether the CSS snorkel gear is available to guests to use from the beach, or is it only made available to snorkel boat participants?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter&Marti View Post
    Perhaps not a surprise that we've already booked our return, this time to CSS in October. Our question this time is whether the CSS snorkel gear is available to guests to use from the beach, or is it only made available to snorkel boat participants?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    I'm sorry to say that the Couples snorkeling equipment is only for use on the Couples snorkeling trips. You can not check out the equipment for use on your own. For this you would need to bring your own snorkeling gear with you.

An observation. Snorkeling on your own is not a good idea. Not much to see in the swimming area. A very bad idea to venture outside of the roped off swimming area. Too much boat traffic and you risk being run over by a boat. Who wants to spend their stay in paradise in a hospital?

You are better off signing up for the snorkeling trips at the Water Sports Shack. You can go as often as you like. They have multiple locations the can take you to. These are usually near a reef where you will see lots of tropical fish. Each location has a name. The staff will usually give the name and ask if you have been there before. If a few people say yes the may offer an alternate location.

Enjoy your stay in paradise.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

Mad Jack,

Thanks for the info.
    Peter

Very strongly disagree. There is a lot to see snorkeling from the mini beach at the cold springs below the mineral springs. A lot of aquarium fish under the wedding gazebo and on east toward the private cottages along the shore which is very nice and clear. Interesting coral and plant life. Even some eels. And if there are any boats in that area (there aren't), they are going to run aground before they hit you. Did all this yesterday and it as great fun and good exercise.

I didn't NOT like the snorkeling boat trip. But the life jackets are, as another noted, a problem. I am not so great a swimmer that I can get in and out of them. Good enough to just not wear one and be fine but going back and forth is more than I care to do. The point of snorkeling is that you float and watch the marine life and let it come to you and then move on to the next area. That's hard to do out in the waves. It's fun, but just not the same. We have a great time snorkeling along the shore and out maybe fifty yards and if we are out just a bit further, the boat is never an issue. And lots of folks do this. Of note, not so great on SSB. Water isn't clear enough.