Thread: Items to Donate

Default Items to Donate

When my husband and I vacationed in Punta Cana, we brought a dozen brand new baseballs to give out to children on our travels. Baseball is their national sport, and it was so rewarding! I've seen a recommendation of school supplies for schools. Does anyone have any other recommendations of items that would be good to donate on our trip? We'll be staying at CTI if that's relevant.

Thanks in advance!

We always bring soccer balls (deflated of course), school supplies (composition books, pens, pencils, etc.). A lot of this stuff we buy during the back to school sales because the stores will price everything really low.

Over the counter medications

Any other suggestions? With only 40 days to go, I'm hoping to start shopping for items to donate soon. I really like the idea of deflated soccer balls.

I don't understand this. Jamaica isn't strangled with US trade embargos like Cuba, and it's not a third world country. Why would you think that anyone you're likely to run into in Jamaica would want a soccer ball or pens and scribbler? And why would you risk insulting someone by assuming they want or need a donation?

Jamaica is the second poorest country in the Caribbean. If guests want to donate school supplies or otc medications or whatever, I don't see anything wrong with it.

We made our first trip to Jamaica 20 years ago. We have seen a great deal of improvements to the infrastructure of the island over the years. However, much like many "developed" countries, there are areas of extreme poverty. Couples Resorts do a good job if directing their guest that want to help to these areas. The schools and parents do not have the means to provide basics learning tools, so luxuries like soccer balls bring smiles to the children. Where we live in the U.S., there are schools and families in similar situations. There are back to school drives for supplies, there are food drives at Thanksgiving, and toy drives at Christmas. The people that receive these items are not insulted. The people on this post are wanting to help those in need.

On another twist to this post. Where we are from, you bring a gift when invited to a friends home. My wife brings chocolates and other small gifts for the staff at San Souci. She does not do it because she feels sorry for them. She does it because they treat us like family returning home. The Jamaican people are proud and wonderful. They have improved their country by truly welcoming us home. If we can take the time to return that feeling, we should. Respect.

oh, geez...i love to take goodies for housekeeping, as well. the folks there are so appreciative. i can't wait to go back!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011
    CTI 2017 [50th birthday & 23rd anniversary], 2019 [25th anniversary]

The United States isn't a third world country, either, but I regularly make donations to corporations that give assistance to people in need. My company often collects backpacks and other school supplies at back-to-school time, and we have an Angel Tree every Christmas -- I always make donations to both. I've never heard that the people receiving any of those donations feel insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by kande View Post
    I don't understand this. Jamaica isn't strangled with US trade embargos like Cuba, and it's not a third world country. Why would you think that anyone you're likely to run into in Jamaica would want a soccer ball or pens and scribbler? And why would you risk insulting someone by assuming they want or need a donation?
    Having been there, when you ask what you can give since you can't tip, EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE said school supplies. They understand that education is the way out of the extreme poverty that much of the island is in. Nobody is assuming anything, our suggestions are based off experience dealing with locals. And FYI, Cuba is in no way strangled by trade embargos with us. The rest of the world happily trades with them, and they have a thriving tourism industry.

Thanks, Dusty, it's helpful to know that's what people say they'd prefer.

I am planning on bringing some chocolate and school suppyas a thank you for the housekeeping staff. What is the best way to do it. Do I leave a few items out each day or all at once? We will be staying 8 days and want to make sure everyone gets a “thank you” from us.

Yes we always bring stuff/items that we donate or give to housekeeping. The ladies when we talk to ask us to just write a note & sign it with the list of items we are giving. I'm sure if you are just giving chocolate or something small like that, that wouldn't be necessary but items like clothes or other items we bring to give to them, we usually write a note listing what we are giving so if they are questioned, they have signed note.

Hi Sharon Ann, I would leave a few out each day over the 8 days and also leave a note with it each day stating Example: To Housekeeping, This is for you. Enjoy! and your Room number.

Thanks for the clarification!

When we were on our first trip, we brought notebooks and pencils and gave them to the front desk upon check in. They seemed a luttle confused but accepted it so I wasn’t sure if it was actually a thing to do.
    Amy & Wes
    CSA - 2010, 2011, 2015, 2018
    CTI - 2016
    CSS - 2018