Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by whitneybri View Post
    I had questions previously about these space saver bags as well, so when we went on a trip to NOLA a few months back, I did the whole trick of half of my stuff in my hubby's bag, and vice versa. We put our stuff in the bags so that it was organized. Our clothes definitely got a little wrinkly, but if you're going anywhere with humidity (Jamaica!) that helps with wrinkles. The time of year we were in NOLA it wasn't that humid, so I brought the Downy wrinkle release travel size spray. Does anyone have advice on a different brand??? It didn't work at all! It also left marks on my clothing. Given these pieces of clothing weren't cotton, they were satin and a type of linen so they wrinkled easily. But the wrinkle release spray left like water marks of where I sprayed.

Any suggestions? 196 days until our first trip to CSA!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the answer on the bags! I have the same problem when I have used the Downy Wrinkle Release ~ It only worked a little and it DID leave marks on my clothes. I don't know if there are any other brands of that. I'm to the point that if I have wrinkles in my clothing, oh well. It's vacation, right? We have 7 days to go!

Quote Originally Posted by whitneybri View Post
    I brought the Downy wrinkle release travel size spray. Does anyone have advice on a different brand??? It didn't work at all! It also left marks on my clothing. Given these pieces of clothing weren't cotton, they were satin and a type of linen so they wrinkled easily. But the wrinkle release spray left like water marks of where I sprayed.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I thought about buying some once, but it seemed a little too much like snake oil. We just use the iron in the room, but I always make sure and iron the clothes inside out, in case calcium buildup comes out of the holes. The humidity definitely helps, and you can always hang stuff on the towel rack on your balcony or patio, if you want it to relax a bit before you need it. You can also turn off the AC while you're out of the room (which will likely be most of the day) and that helps relax wrinkles as well. The humidity comes in pretty quickly.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

I've read most of all 27 PAGES (!) of this thread and have gotten some very useful ideas as my very first Jamaica (CN) trip happens in just 3 days, 10 hours, and 15 minutes (but who is counting ). I bought a cheap waterproof digital camera for underwater pics, will pack a bunch of koozies and an extension cord, and maybe some treats for the resort kitties!

One thing I see mentioned is water shoes. What are those needed for if not making an excursion to the falls or some other such place with terrain that may call for them?

Just curious!

I have never needed water shoes at CN (but they are a must for me at CSS - the bottom off of the main beach is a bit rocky/sea weed/muddy...much nicer with water shoes).
    Last edited by Bert; October 18th, 2016 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katface226 View Post
    I've read most of all 27 PAGES (!) of this thread and have gotten some very useful ideas as my very first Jamaica (CN) trip happens in just 3 days, 10 hours, and 15 minutes (but who is counting ). I bought a cheap waterproof digital camera for underwater pics, will pack a bunch of koozies and an extension cord, and maybe some treats for the resort kitties!

One thing I see mentioned is water shoes. What are those needed for if not making an excursion to the falls or some other such place with terrain that may call for them?

Just curious!

I have referenced this thread for our 2nd through 5th trips (there was no MB for the first), and every year it just reminds me of how much LESS we NEED to bring. We always bring 2 of the more collapsible coozies, because they don't take up much room, but I would avoid the more rigid ones that hold their shape. It's just not an efficient packing choice. The cat treats? Meh.. I guess you could view that as a little extra room to bring stuff back. I would never waste space with an extension cord. There have literally been zero times in 43 days and 38 nights at CN that we wished we had brought an extension cord. This is obviously just a personal opinion, but I would avoid any extra stuff like that. It's so unnecessary and that much extra crap to lug through an airport, taxi rides, packing/unpacking, etc. Usually, right before the final packing list check, we unload about 5-10% of the stuff that we know we're just not going to need. I call that the "rum room"...haha. Enjoy your first trip to CN! It's awesome!
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Just curious!
    When we stayed at CSS they had them available for purchase in the gift shop. I think they were $15.00. If you plan on doing the Falls, you are required to have them or possibly a pair of gym shoes. We did not wear them at all on the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    I have referenced this thread for our 2nd through 5th trips (there was no MB for the first), and every year it just reminds me of how much LESS we NEED to bring. We always bring 2 of the more collapsible coozies, because they don't take up much room, but I would avoid the more rigid ones that hold their shape. It's just not an efficient packing choice. The cat treats? Meh.. I guess you could view that as a little extra room to bring stuff back. I would never waste space with an extension cord. There have literally been zero times in 43 days and 38 nights at CN that we wished we had brought an extension cord. This is obviously just a personal opinion, but I would avoid any extra stuff like that. It's so unnecessary and that much extra crap to lug through an airport, taxi rides, packing/unpacking, etc. Usually, right before the final packing list check, we unload about 5-10% of the stuff that we know we're just not going to need. I call that the "rum room"...haha. Enjoy your first trip to CN! It's awesome!
    I have taken extension cords almost everywhere I have travelled and it was worth it to me. I don't take the plug bar kind, just a 6' one that has 4 "ports" on the end to allow me to have easier reach of my phone and other things that may be charging. It takes up zero space, really, not much more than a cell phone cord. I forgot to bring it when I went to Mexico so I am making a point to remember now. Hotels always seem to have outlets behind furniture so it really has helped me.

As for koozies, I have those flat kind and I even have one that is a "slap style" that goes on the cup like a slap bracelet. It is literally flat.

Cat treats, that's my choice My cats will be happy to know they shared with some Jamaican kitties! Again, takes up no space whatsoever! (the pack is about the size of your hand and almost flat)

I do know I am packing too many bikinis, but who knows which one I will feel like wearing once I get there!

Default CN Room Questions

94 sleeps to CN for first time, can't wait! Love this thread, so helpful. Thanks to all the posters. Noticed on an earlier thread mention of no screens on any of the CN Room windows and no glass either on bathroom window. True?? We are booked into a Garden Deluxe room and wonder about bugs or other small creepers getting through bathroom windows. Any concerns? Any tips? Also hoping for a top floor room with water view - do they exist in Garden Deluxe level? Any room # favourites you care to share?

Many Thanks!
    Mike & JoAnn, CSA 2015

This has been a great thread. We have our first trip planned and there is alot here to read but worth it. You can pick things to suit you through all the threads. There are things on here I wouldn't have thought of.

Thanks everyone. Can't wait!! 88 days and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg and Kelly View Post
    Poo-pourri. Trust me on this. Google it.
    LOL I was skeptical of this when I first heard it advertised, but IT REALLY WORKS!

Bruce and Kelli
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    CN 2006, 2008; CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014; JRB 2015; CSS 2017

Wow.. lot's of great info in here! It will be my first time in May... I have to admit I skipped some of the posts but has anyone ever tried using a shammy to dry swimsuits faster? I only have 2... now I'm thinking I need to buy more. lol

tlotx,
    I know I got a couple extra swimsuits just in case, but I did get some travel size tide to was the salt out of the suits, just in case. I got it at walmart in the beauty isle where the travel section is.

Quote Originally Posted by tlotx View Post
    Wow.. lot's of great info in here! It will be my first time in May... I have to admit I skipped some of the posts but has anyone ever tried using a shammy to dry swimsuits faster? I only have 2... now I'm thinking I need to buy more. lol
    go to SSB at CSS.....don't bother with the suits.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    I have referenced this thread for our 2nd through 5th trips (there was no MB for the first), and every year it just reminds me of how much LESS we NEED to bring.
    I'm with you. My goal is to have ONLY a single carry-on. It'll never happen as the wife likes choices, but a man can dream right?

Default The best things we packed from this list...

Before we left last year I read this and packed so much stuff. But the few things that I was truly happy to have taken..... a surge protector with not only extra outlets but also USB chargers came in super handy to charge our phones cameras and battery chargers. Emergancy powder for those unexpected hangovers gone in a snap! Bug spray and sunscreen although no sand fleas to be seen or felt. Oh well maybe it was because we had bug spray on... lol. And lastly a string of lights made our balcony extra special and easier to find our room at night lol.
    P.s. The GoPro makes a great under water camara!!!

And lastly a string of lights made our balcony extra special and easier to find our room at night lol.

We usually just take the stairs up to the floor our room is located on and then look for the room number. However, if you are scaling the wall to get up to the balcony, lights could be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    And lastly a string of lights made our balcony extra special and easier to find our room at night lol.

We usually just take the stairs up to the floor our room is located on and then look for the room number. However, if you are scaling the wall to get up to the balcony, lights could be very useful.
    I assume you've never stayed at CSA.

Bruce and Kelli
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    CN 2006, 2008; CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014; JRB 2015; CSS 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Angeleyes View Post
    Hah, I know what you mean! Those atrium rooms in the middle of the resort can be hard to distinguish at night at CSA. This is why I prefer ground floor rooms with a walk-in porch, it is usually way easier to find that than the back of the correct building.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post

Oh my gosh I'm rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. I never thought about scaling the wall. That's something I might try after I finish a bottle of rum. Hahahaha

Just curious!
    If your trip is to CSS or CTI you will need water shoes for your trip to Dunn's River Falls as gripping footwear is required to walk the rocks up the falls. From CSA and CN if you plan to go to the YS Falls I recommend bringing them to wear in the water at the water fall swimming hole. The bottom is covered with small rocks that you have to walk on to get out of the stream and jump off the falls again or off the rope swing. Unless you have rather tough bottoms on your feet which I didn't.

Today I ran across rolls of bubble wrap at our local Dollar Tree. I got a couple for our upcoming trip to CN (14 sleeps, yaassss!). They'll take up hardly any room in my luggage, and will be good for wrapping Appleton, fragile souvenirs, and other such items.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeinpenn View Post
    I wish I would have thought about 100% DEET, bugs got me good. I had Deep woods and it wasnt enough.
    Bugs love me too. I found Sawyer w/ Picardini (prob spelled that wrong) works awesome for me. Not that they have green flies in Jamaica, but where I live those things suck. I get welts for days. The only thing that stops them from attaching me is the Sawyer. Highly recommend it. WHO says it's as effective as deet.

Quote Originally Posted by spingirl View Post
    Don't forget hydrocortisone cream for bug bites!

Try this. Heat up a spoon under hot water from the sink. It's going to sting, but press against the bite for as long as you can do it. Do again if you need to. It will stop itching for good most times.

I have taken way too much stuff and way too little stuff and have decided that too little is the way to go. There a tons of great suggestions of useful things to take on vacation with you (and I have taken most of them at one time or another) but I have come to the conclusion that the less stuff I take with me the happier I am on vacation. It's just very liberating and relaxing.
    I do give props to a lot of the suggestions here though! The more I go (gotta be getting close to 40 trips to Jamaica by now) the less I want to drag along from home.

Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    I have taken way too much stuff and way too little stuff and have decided that too little is the way to go. There a tons of great suggestions of useful things to take on vacation with you (and I have taken most of them at one time or another) but I have come to the conclusion that the less stuff I take with me the happier I am on vacation. It's just very liberating and relaxing.
    I do give props to a lot of the suggestions here though! The more I go (gotta be getting close to 40 trips to Jamaica by now) the less I want to drag along from home.
    Well said rhallva. Imagine if George Carlin read through this thread. Think his eyes would have rolled a few times. Not saying there are not some useful nuggets contained in here but to your point, the reason why these resorts are so great is because you can minimize your "stuff" and have a great time. Once you go you know.

Also, this thread will be 8 years old in the next few weeks. Look at how much the world has changed in that time. Tiny Houses and that whole trend were not really a thing then.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast