Default San Souci vs. Tower Isle

Question, between these two which has the better beach? We have stayed at couples swept away before and do not expect the beaches to rival Negril. But we want to stay closer to ocho rios so we can go riverboarding. Are the au natural beaches better (less rocky)than the main beach? Or will we need water shoes for all beach areas. Also, which has better night life?

Thanks!
    Shay and Tam

Hello Shay and Tam,

CSS has the better (larger) beach of the two. It is good not to compare those beaches to CSA (may be disappointed). The sand at CSS and CTI is more the brown, course, compact type than the soft, white version found in Negril. Neither the main nor AN beach are rocky though the shallows off the beach are rockier on the AN side than the main beach. Nothing to worry about though as there's still ample room to walk comfortably...as compared to the beach/waterline of Cozumel. Water shoes might be a plus to have if planning to wade out in the water very far. Nightlife at both are good but CSS has a little more to offer with the Starlight Gala on Friday night in addition to the Showtime each evening at the Balloon Bar. Both have a very nice Beach Party so thinking either is good. We find, being the more outdoor type, that CSS has more room to roam on the resort than CTI. We wouldn't turn down a stay at either...and we've been to both several times.

You're welcome!

Bart & Bug

Default Been To Both

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSwimRum View Post
    Question, between these two which has the better beach? We have stayed at couples swept away before and do not expect the beaches to rival Negril. But we want to stay closer to ocho rios so we can go riverboarding. Are the au natural beaches better (less rocky)than the main beach? Or will we need water shoes for all beach areas. Also, which has better night life?

Thanks!
    Shay and Tam
    I think it is all about ones perspective. In my opinion, both main beaches are nice . They are unlike the wide Negril beaches, however, both have plenty of space for the number of guests at the resort. While we were there, several people had issues with urchins at the San Souci; one guest was taken off by medical. I stayed on my float until I got out far enough not to touch the bottom. No problems with urchins at Tower Isle. Both years we traveled in May, not sure if the time of the year matters to the sea life. The beach and the swimming area at Tower Isle is larger. I cannot address the au natural beaches as we did not use them at either resort. The nightlife is great at either. You cannot make a bad choice with any of the Couples Resorts. They are all spectacular!!!

Au natural beach as CSS definitely has more rocks then the main beach. Water shoes would be a good thin to pack.

The urchins like to hang out anywhere there is sea grass - for tower island it means the beach is clear, but around the island - and especially between the island and the beach you will find many so be careful. We bring water shoes for both resorts for this reason.

As to which resort is better? You could flip a coin and be good either way.

Beaches are very similar.

The biggest differences:

CSS - very intimate, large resort with few guests - you will find yourselves alone on many occasions. Night time entertainment is good, but I wouldn't say this resort has a party atmosphere and things are usually winding down around 11:00 - however - the AN area is open (mostly) 24 hours and does not close if it's a windy day.

CTI - more like a hotel on the beach so feels more crowded but great for groups - has a lively party scene and they have places that stay open well into the after hours - I think the Disco stays open until the last guest leaves (or 2:00+ ??) Personally - I think CTI has the best food/variety but the difference is negligible. The island is amazing! but can closes at 5:00 and due to bad weather...

I liked the beaches better at CSS because there was more room between lounge chairs...and they had the palapas as a shade option too. But you will need water shoes if you go in the water.
    Don't need the shoes for CTI, and my husband liked the depth of the water better at CTI (deep enough for him, who is very tall.) The island however doesn't have a beach area for AN swimming. As for night life, MUCH more active at CTI. Night life at CSS was pretty non-existent.

Nancy

We do CSS but did a day visit to CTI. The wind was up on the island and that as just fantastic. I would go back for that alone. BUT, CSS is our favorite because it is a lot of acreage and only 150 couples max, a few less in May and early June as it's starting the off season. CTI also wasn't full but it's design is a hotel. I thought the beach looked great and the hotel had such an assortment of restaurants, but CSS has a whole nature trail thing going on and we wouldn't trade that. I don't think the swimming is that terrific at SSB. I went out in the bay at CTI (with shoes) and it was nice but we were nearly alone that day so crowded it was not. Because we like CSS so much we'll stick with that vibe but we might do the last couple of days at CTI next year. It's easy to split the time. Finally, I wouldn't call night life at CSS non-existant at all. That's not our thing but it sure was for a lot of folks. Don't know what they do at CTI at night but it must be pretty exciting.

Thanks for everyone's responses. We have decided to book at CTI, the nude island won it over for us!

You're welcome! The island is really quite unique. Depending on occupancy, finding a spot to lounge in the sun (with shade) can be a little bit of a challenge. The good thing is that people move back and forth to/from the Island throughout the day so finding a place isn't difficult. We typically start at the first place we find and shift to a "better location" as others give them up. Enjoy you're stay at CTI!!