Default Tell about your 2018 CSS trip

My husband and I go to CSS for the first time June 2018 and are looking forward to SSB. I look at the message board and TripAdvisor reviews every day and can hardly wait for our trip. For those of us waiting for our “time in the sun” we want to hear about your stay whether long or short - What and where you ate, what activity you liked, what your favorite spot, pool, bar, or lounge area was at CSS. Your report won’t be boring or repetitive to me. I realize there are prior reviews but newer reviews are so much more relevant and things often change at resorts. I hope this thread will be something all first timers can read while waiting for their 2018 trips.
    Thanks !

In 2014 we decided to try CSS for a break-and the deals being offered at the time, made it much more attractive. So for the last 3 years, and in 2018 -we now do a split stay, as we fell in love with the property. As people say-it is a totally different vibe, I always feel more isolated, im assuming because the property is so large-and you frequently can find yourself with no other guests around. I personally feel like its more romantic for that reason.
    One of our favorite things to do-(we go in Aug/Sept) is to end our evenings down in the gazebo area by the Mineral pool, with a bottle of wine. You can listen to the band playing up by the Balloon Bar, while watching the lightning that is very common north of the island each night. Hard to not fall asleep !
    Hope you love the property as much as we do. m&s

Quote Originally Posted by Mike&Sylvia View Post
    In 2014 we decided to try CSS for a break-and the deals being offered at the time, made it much more attractive. So for the last 3 years, and in 2018 -we now do a split stay, as we fell in love with the property. As people say-it is a totally different vibe, I always feel more isolated, im assuming because the property is so large-and you frequently can find yourself with no other guests around. I personally feel like its more romantic for that reason.
    One of our favorite things to do-(we go in Aug/Sept) is to end our evenings down in the gazebo area by the Mineral pool, with a bottle of wine. You can listen to the band playing up by the Balloon Bar, while watching the lightning that is very common north of the island each night. Hard to not fall asleep !
    Hope you love the property as much as we do. m&s
    Mike&Sylvia: Thanks for sharing. We also got in on a special this year and are staying for a short 5 nights. We are easy to please and enjoy some quiet time together also. I have watched the you tube video walk through many times and know of the quiet spot of which you are speaking. I’m sure we will have a great time and wish to return again. Thank you again for posting !

We are returning for the 8th time in April. Things for first timers to do would be;
    1) Find the small little grotto near the Gym. I won't tell you exactly as finding it is half the fun. Climb down the stairs and sit o the edge with your feet dangling in the water and see if tiny little fish come and tickle your toes.
    2) DEFINITELY book a massage in one of the cliff side huts. Absolutely amazing listening to the waves while enjoying a massage. I personally recommend the Hot Rocks
    3) Take some bread from the breakfast morning buffet and wander around the pond and feed the fish and turtles. If you get lucky, you will see a King Fisher take the bread and catch some breakfast.
    4) Say hello to Anita and Cracker every day. Cracker comes out of his cage and if lucky, will sit on your hand.
    5) Take in the Wine Tasting on I believe Tuesday afternoon at 5:00 on the balloon bar terrace.
    6) Book a Scuba lesson and dive ASAP. If you enjoy it, sign up for the certification course.

Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    We are returning for the 8th time in April. Things for first timers to do would be;
    1) Find the small little grotto near the Gym. I won't tell you exactly as finding it is half the fun. Climb down the stairs and sit o the edge with your feet dangling in the water and see if tiny little fish come and tickle your toes.
    2) DEFINITELY book a massage in one of the cliff side huts. Absolutely amazing listening to the waves while enjoying a massage. I personally recommend the Hot Rocks
    3) Take some bread from the breakfast morning buffet and wander around the pond and feed the fish and turtles. If you get lucky, you will see a King Fisher take the bread and catch some breakfast.
    4) Say hello to Anita and Cracker every day. Cracker comes out of his cage and if lucky, will sit on your hand.
    5) Take in the Wine Tasting on I believe Tuesday afternoon at 5:00 on the balloon bar terrace.
    6) Book a Scuba lesson and dive ASAP. If you enjoy it, sign up for the certification course.

Enjoy!!
    Artie: These are wonderful suggestions and I will definitely add them to my list. Thank you.

Since you're looking forward to SSB - I'll tell you some things about it...

1> There's really two sides - the beach area is mostly quiet, intimate, relaxing - where my wife likes to lay under a palapa and read all day long... The pool/swim up bar can get pretty loud and can be quite a hoot at times - pick your side based on how you feel that day.
    2> It now opens at 8:00am so don't worry about finding/reserving a chair as for the most part there are plenty of chairs and shade - if you can't find an open palapa or umbrella at the pool - there's a large section of trees in the middle so you can still get some shade - don't be shy - move chairs if you need to!
    3> Favorite spot - if you are looking at the ocean on sunset beach - start to look/walk to your left - this is where the white river meets the ocean - it's different every year - there can be lots of sand or the river can take over the entire area - it can change from day to day! lot's of birds too. You can also talk to Keith here and arrange a boat ride or raft tour...
    4> No, you do not need to get dressed at 5:00 when sunset beach becomes "clothing optional" but it can be a battle of will depending on how many people show up - most people will move to the hot tub at that point.
    5> Yes, you can come back at night for a skinny dip - the gate gets closed sometime late in the middle of the night

Otherwise - relax! Don't make too many plans as sand gravity is real and you will not want to leave the resort once settled in...

Since your trip is only 5 days you'll want to get the most of your time - thus - if you can, get up as early as possible - the best weather of the day is (usually) in the mornings - the afternoons can have a quick shower and it can get cloudy by 4:00ish - most of CSS is usually in bed by 11:00ish so plan to get up early and go to bed earlier than usual to take advantage.

If you have read this board or tripadvisor reviews, as you may have noticed most have been positive reviews and a lot have also been repeat reviews so that should let you know already there has to be a reason people keep coming back. Our first time to couples-(CSA) was back in 2007 and we have been back every year since-(well.. i take that back..... I believe we skipped one of those years due the birth of our 2nd child) but we made up for that missed year going twice in one of those yrs too. We might be even in the minority as far as repeating, there have been 97x or even 100x and more that couples repeaters have returned back to some of the couples resorts-(NO LIE!). You'll also find everyone has their favorite Couples-it usually ends up being the first Couples you go to. Ours personally favorite is CSA until we tried CSS for the first time a couple yrs ago. We now must go to both and have split stays since we fell in love with CSS just as much as CSA. In fact... if CSS had the beach CSA does and as many restaurant options as CSA, CSS would most likely be our favorite so we now do split stays since we love both resorts.

We have also been to CTI twice and CN-(only for a trading places day) don't care for either CTI or CN but again there would be many who would totally disagree with me since they love either CTI or CN equally as much as we love CSA and CSS. If you do decide to return... don't be afraid to try another Couples as it took us a few yrs of risking what had been a tried and true place that we knew was worth every penny and decided to try another Couples location, and found it to be just as good but in a totally different way.

Recommendations for CSS if you go to Dunn's River excursion, ask concierge who you book trip through which day is when the cruise ships are NOT at port since those will be a busiest days and it will be very crowded so you want to avoid going then. Another piece of advice is if you do go on that trip, you will be directed to go through the "GAUNTLET" after reaching the top of the falls and on your way back to the bus/shuttle to your resort. Yes a high pressure sales environment to buy souvenirs and by all means if you are interested in buying something, talk to them but ALWAYS KNOW the 1st price they tell you, not even the 2nd price is probably 100 to 300% above what they would be willing to sell it to you for. You can really get bargains if you really want something just again don't go for the first price they tell you. If money isn't an issue, you wont even have to read any further. BUT if you are NOT interested in buying anything, they will begin their sales pitch by asking you "where you from", "what's your name" "anything for the bosslady?" and before you know it, your name is carved on something and like some.... you might feel obligated to buy it. I am not saying ignore or don't talk to anyone and be rude but simply saying I am not interested or no thank you sometimes is not enough so be firm and say "NO THANK YOU" again if they try to push the sale on you further. Just be forewarned of that type of high pressure sales you will encounter. Also... water shoes are required for this excursion- if you don't have any you will be required to either buy or rent water shoes.

[QUOTE=MichaelAndKristin;292727]Since you're looking forward to SSB - I'll tell you some things about it...
    MichaelAndKristin: Thanks for posting this information - sounds great!
    I know what you mean about “sand gravity”- I couldn’t even get my hubby to a nice dinner in St.Martin. So glad we won’t need to leave the resort 😀

Hi Welovecouplesresorts: So great to read about your past stays and about trying different Couples resorts. Next year I’ll see if we can plan more days and perhaps do a split stay. Can hardly wait !

We're back September 6-15. This is our 6th trip. Loved every one of them! So relaxing. Staff is great and the grounds are beautiful. We always get the beachfront rooms. Love this location. Very quiet at night except for Tuesday and Friday but we love the lawn parties so that's ok with us. The other nights all you hear are frogs and singing bugs!

Word of advice: (1) get Club Mobay on entry and departure. Think of it as travel insurance...in a way. You don't care if there are 10,000 people waiting to enter or only 2. You're going straight through to the lounge. And, (2) get actual travel insurance. On our last trip we were scheduled for a 7 day stay. On our departure day we went to the airport and found out that lightening hit an airport tower in Kingston. This meant no air traffic in or out of Jamaica until it was repaired. We wound up staying 4 extra days at CSS. Our insurance paid for every penny! Without it we would be out quite a bit of money.

So...be prepared so that you can have a great time!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Is crackers still there?

Life is good

It's been two years since we were at CSS. Previous year we had been to CN. Loved both. At CSS we spent a lot of time at the pool overlooking the ocean (beside the gym). Great smoothie bar there and it was always quiet and relaxing. Felt a little "Bond, James Bond" like. Enjoyed several evenings on the patio of the Balloon Bar, especially when we were able to do some dancing to live music (we love ballroom dancing!). Hobie cat sailing was a fave daytime activity. Evening events on the main lawn were nice. Did the excursion to Dunns River Falls which was fun. Fantastic vacation but need the CDN $ to increase in value because its become +++ expensive for us to "go home".

Default Crackers

We just returned home on March 3rd and yes Crackers is still there with Anita. Both are doing well.

Default Crackers

That's wonderful. We always stopped and chatted with Crackers when we went down to the beach.

Life is good

Artie - funny every time I read one of your posts, I find myself agreeing with most everything you say! So to foreverbarefoot I say: All the things Artie says - ESPECIALLY THE MASSAGE OVER THE WATER. My ONLY regret was not doing it for LONGER. It will remain one of my top most favorite things I've done and can't wait to go back so I can do it again. We Loved the mineral pool too - quiet and you can sit and listen to the waves. I would say too - for a first timer, Duns River is a fun little place to go - it was refreshing and not very busy (if you do it, make sure to check the CRUISE ship arrivals and don't go on those days) We last visited CSS in 2016 and just returned from CN a week ago. I think CSS Is our top pick for favorite. Take time to sit in a hammock and maybe feed one of the kittens you may find running around (save the hate mail, peeps - if you don't like cats, I know this is a hotly debated topic). Most Of All - Enjoy time way with your love!