Default State of Emergency

Hello all, very new to this forum thing so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed at length. My husband and I have a reservation at couples tower isle next week. My husband is extremely nervous about the state of emergency right now, especially because our resort is a long drive from montego bay and also because he has read some news articles about incidents occurring on resorts. is anyone there now or recently returned that can give us some idea of how things are over there? He is thinking about canceling but i heard that no one really has canceled at all so i don't want to be unnecessarily worried. thank you very much!

This situation is confined to mostly Montego Bay. The issue has been overblown by the Press. Tell your husband all is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust097 View Post
    Hello all, very new to this forum thing so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed at length. My husband and I have a reservation at couples tower isle next week. My husband is extremely nervous about the state of emergency right now, especially because our resort is a long drive from montego bay and also because he has read some news articles about incidents occurring on resorts. is anyone there now or recently returned that can give us some idea of how things are over there? He is thinking about canceling but i heard that no one really has canceled at all so i don't want to be unnecessarily worried. thank you very much!
    Generally, if you stay on the resort you will not have any issues. If you do venture off the resort then go with a guide or in a group and remain in the more touristy areas. Probably should be back on the resort at night.

Just returned from San Souci. There were some police checkpoints around Montego Bay, but no issues for our bus or driver, and no problems we could see anywhere near Ocho Rios.

Still safer than Chicago, Baltimore, St Louis, Detroit.......

I'm so glad you asked. My family is freaking out that I'm traveling to Jamaica. They told me people are afraid to get off cruise ships (which I know isn't in Negril). This will be my sixth trip to Jamaica and I always felt safe but was really starting to question this vacation.

We're just back from a split trip (Sans Souci/Swept Away). There really is nothing to worry about. With the army in place it is probably safer in the Montego Bay area right now than it has been for some time. Other than road blocks on the roads in and out of St James parish (where Montego Bay is) we noticed nothing different at all. The army and police know who they are looking for, hence the road blocks; tourist buses drive straight through.
    Last edited by Dawn; February 21st, 2018 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    We're just back from a split trip (Sans Souci/Swept Away). There really is nothing to worry about. With the army in place It is probably safer in the Montego Bay area right now than it has been for some time. Other than road blocks on the roads in and out of St James parish (where Montego Bay is) we noticed nothing different at all. The army and police know who they are looking for, hence the road blocks; tourist buses drive straight through.
    We just got back 2 days ago and this comment hits the nail on the head. It's safer now than it has been in the past because the army is helping the local police. We stayed at Couples Negril and took trips to Ivan's on the cliffs, Rick's, Time Square, CSA with a long walk down Long Bay and a day trip down to the Black River Safari, YS Falls and the Appleton Rum Factory Tour. Never felt threatened or unsafe at all. The Hip Strip in Montego Bay may not be a good idea at night, but neither is Chicago. There is a greater police and military presence than before (we have been 10 times) making it feel safer.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

You scared me, when I saw state of emergency, I thought that they had run out of Red Stripe or Appletons!

Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    You scared me, when I saw state of emergency, I thought that they had run out of Red Stripe or Appletons!
    Bravo, Piperman! I respect a person with priorities.