Default Getting the Most Out of Our Time in Paradise!

So with 55 more sleeps, until we come "home" again, I'm getting soooo excited!! I spend the time leading up to our getaway hanging out on the message board (not on FB), shopping for new outfits and planning all our wonderful days/nights. However, once I get to paradise, I often find myself exhausted and needing a mid-day nap. In the evening, I eat dinner and then prefer to go back to the room to get some rest because I'm so tired. I'm wondering if anyone has any "tricks" that might help me find balance so that I might be able to stay up a few nights to enjoy all the wonderful activities? I would consider myself in very good health, so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering what others might be doing? I don't want to miss a single moment!!!

Same thing happens to us, with all the sun, fun and booze we are usually sleeping by 10pm. We are also early risers so I don't have much to suggest lol. We have yet to figure it out! 😎
    Last edited by softail19; February 8th, 2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelling error

We are on our 2nd trip and this was us last year too. Best sleep ever though.

Right!? My husband is the early riser. I usually sleep in, too. Maybe I'll try getting up early with him (walk the beach, sit on balcony sipping coffee....). We leave in 50 sleeps now, but who's counting.

My wife and I agree that we go to CN for the daytime, always starting with in-room breakfast 6:30-7:00 a.m., followed by exercise then Breakfast #2 (as I have said many times before, "Breakfast #2" is one of my favorite phrases ). It is not unusual to find us at the bar at 9:59, often starting the next portion of the day with a Dirty Banana (hint: get an over-proof floater on top - if you are going to take in the calories of the DB, make 'em count). The rest of the day is beach>cocktail>Donnavon Dalrymple>cocktail>float in ocean>graze the grill or buffet or vegibar>cocktail....dinner is usually on the early side>sleep>do it all over again.

It's ironic that our latest night is usually the first night there. After getting up at 3:00 a.m. on travel day (to try to get to CN by noon or earlier), we normally end up staying up very late in the Piano Bar. I guess it's just the excitement of Day 1 that carries us late into the night.

Hi Bert,

That's us!! We're up at 3:00 am on travel day, too!! Our first day is usually a blur!! So excited to be "home" and just want to take it all in again!!! I wish I could keep up that pace the entire time. . . well at least a few nights anyway. It sounds like you've got things down to a perfect science. Nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheri-greg-wv View Post
    We are on our 2nd trip and this was us last year too. Best sleep ever though.
    Absolutely!!! I completely agree!!

It took a few trips but I've learned a few things that help.

It starts a few weeks before the trip by going to bed and getting up at a consistent time every day - even on weekends/days off - if you want to maximize your sunshine, get up with the sun...

Accept the fact that the day you arrive is usually very overwhelming - all the planning, waiting, flying, excitement etc...

If you can - try to harness that energy by booking the earliest flight available (I usually can't sleep the night before anyway so may as well be on our way) - we're usually on the beach by 1:00pm so we get almost a full day to bask in the excitement of being home.

Next, give in to a full day of rest the day after traveling - sleep till you can't sleep, don't make any plans, don't even bother with reservations - just relax that first full day. If you fight it and try to do too much, you will pay for it on days 3 & 4 and it's not until day 5 or 6+ that you get that groove back. (most important)

Next - it's simple - i have to get up for work by 5:30am everyday - if I can get up for work - I can definitely get up for vacation!

So everyday after that if I see even the slightest hint of sunlight outside then I remind myself where I am and that time's slipping by... With that - I'm up and ready to go! (Note that I found setting an alarm to be counter productive as I would just roll over and go back to sleep - I instead leave one of the drapes partially open so I can tell when the sun is up but still wake up naturally - usually at the time I've been getting up the weeks before)

The afternoon snooze can be a battle though - for me, not drinking until just before or right after lunch helps a lot and I usually stop drinking by dinner time as well so I can sleep good and not be hungover (note that I drink a lot between lunch and dinner and that gives me a buzz and keeps me from needing a nap)

Another dumb trick I do - I stopped counting how many days we have left and instead I count the number of days we have been there - for some reason, in my mind, thinking "7 full days left" feels like there's plenty of time left, so why not just grab a quick nap, I'll go swimming later.... But for some reason if I think "Day 2" it feels more like "what am I going to do today!" and it gets me going quicker.

Hi MichaelAndKristin,

Wow!! These are really some great ideas! I too get up at 5:30 each weekday for work, but always sleep in on the weekends. The idea of starting now (with 39 days to go) to get into a consistent sleep/wake pattern seems like a great idea. I also like the idea of sleeping with "the drapes partially" opened to wake up "naturally" with the sun. I definitely could see that working! My husband always gets up with the sun, even when we're not on vacation. Maybe I'll start walking the beach with him to get myself up and moving. This is exactly what I meant by "tricks". I realize everyone is different, but I could definitely see this working for me. I love the idea of counting the days we've been there instead of the days we have left. . . genius, it's all mind-set! Thanks for the "tricks".

Quote Originally Posted by Pamed View Post
    So with 55 more sleeps, until we come "home" again, I'm getting soooo excited!! I spend the time leading up to our getaway hanging out on the message board (not on FB), shopping for new outfits and planning all our wonderful days/nights. However, once I get to paradise, I often find myself exhausted and needing a mid-day nap. In the evening, I eat dinner and then prefer to go back to the room to get some rest because I'm so tired. I'm wondering if anyone has any "tricks" that might help me find balance so that I might be able to stay up a few nights to enjoy all the wonderful activities? I would consider myself in very good health, so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering what others might be doing? I don't want to miss a single moment!!!
    Taking a daytime nap always made me want to go to bed early and I missed a lot of entertainment on various vacations. Now I take a walk when I start to get sleepy and the feeling soon goes away. I always heard that ďsleep begets sleepĒ (thatís what the doctors say for babies at least). The more we sleep, the more we want to sleep. June will be my first time at CSS and Iím looking forward to walking the beautiful property. I have started walking more at home to get ready. I now walk 3 miles at least 4 times a week, especially during sleepy afternoons. Iím sure you will have a great time, enjoy ! We donít go until June.

Hi foreverbarefootSXM,
    We have a little over 5 weeks before we head "home"!! I am definitely a napper by nature. On the weekends, I literally look forward to my mid-day nap. However, I'm game to try anything. I'll start now to try and build up my stamina. Wish me luck. . . Lol!! Thanks! Have fun when you go in June!!!

Hi foreverbarefootSXM,
    We have a little over 5 weeks before we head "home"!! I am definitely a napper by nature. On the weekends, I literally look forward to my mid-day nap. However, I'm game to try anything. I'll start now to try and build up my stamina. Wish me luck. . . Lol!! Thanks! Have fun when you go in June!!!
    Hi Pamed: I know what you mean about the afternoon nap feeling. It was easy for me to doze off also and I really had to go walking to fight it. Iíve heard that a quick 20 minute nap doesnít hurt, but longer isnít good - I could never nap for only 20 minutes so I gave it up. Thanks and I hope you enjoy your trip also😀. I just got in from my Sunday afternoon walk.
    Have fun and be sure to post about your trip.

I wish I had the answer because I too have the same struggles. I usually get up at 4am to go to work and rarely are able to sleep past 6am on the weekends. I love getting up early while we are there but then by early afternoon the struggle begins. We usually go back to our room by 3:00 and rest up for the evening. Hopefully, I will find balance as well but after five trips to Couples, I haven't yet. 61 more sleeps for us!!! Beyond excited. Enjoy your trip back home!

The same thing happens to us too and we don't even drink!
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

I try not to sit/lay down after lunch - usually I walk the beach when I start to feel sleepy - if I really need to, a quick dip in the ocean will usually wake me back up.

Unfortunately I do not wake up well from naps - usually groggy, a bit fussy and just feel sleepy the rest of the day so I try to avoid them if at all possible.

Enjoy your trips!

after 17 trips we always say we are going to take an afternoon nap so we can stay out late. Never happens. We then say that we will take a short nap after supper and then go out. Ok, we never wake back up. We will have to keep working on this one.

Life is good

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the many great ideas! I find it comforting just knowing that I am obviously not alone in this dilemma. Lol!!! Well, I feel well prepared to take on this challenge once again...in 16 sleeps!!!!!! I now have many ideas that I can try out. Maybe one will actually help me get a little more time out of my time in paradise!!!

Enjoy! I think my last tip - if you ever find yourself waiting on something - the bus to Dunn's River, waiting to make reservations, even the sad bus - don't sit down and wait - walk outside the lobby - there's a table and a beautiful garden sitting out front to explore and you won't miss the bus since you'll see it arriving...

Waiting in line for your eggs/pancakes, a drink at the beach bar? Turn around - the view is right behind you - enjoy it while you wait...

MichaelAndKristin,

That could be the best piece of advice yet!!! We haven't even left yet, but I can feel myself getting sad just thinking about leaving. . . waiting for the bus. Yes, even waiting can be an experience in paradise. Thanks for the reminder!!

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the many great ideas! I find it comforting just knowing that I am obviously not alone in this dilemma. Lol!!! Well, I feel well prepared to take on this challenge once again...in 16 sleeps!!!!!! I now have many ideas that I can try out. Maybe one will actually help me get a little more time out of my time in paradise!!!
    Pamed: How was your stay ? Hubby and I go June 11th and Iíd love to hear about your trip.