Default Booking American Airlines through the Couples Website

Just found out that American Airlines has two economy fares you can choose from, Basic Economy and Main Cabin. If you book through Couples website they only offer Basic Economy, Business, or First Class and not Main Cabin. This was confirmed to me via email from Couples. If you are not aware of the difference you will be in for a shock. Basic economy you cannot use any overhead bin space, you get seat assignments when you check in, you cannot change, cancel, or upgrade your flight, and you will board in the last group. Whereas Main Cabin is what used to be just economy. Main Cabin is slightly more expensive but at lease you have some options.

Just thought I would let everyone know before you book and not get the airfare they expected.

Happy Holidays,

Ron & Treena

Default Thanks for the Info

Quote Originally Posted by ColdinIndiana View Post
    Just found out that American Airlines has two economy fares you can choose from, Basic Economy and Main Cabin. If you book through Couples website they only offer Basic Economy, Business, or First Class and not Main Cabin. This was confirmed to me via email from Couples. If you are not aware of the difference you will be in for a shock. Basic economy you cannot use any overhead bin space, you get seat assignments when you check in, you cannot change, cancel, or upgrade your flight, and you will board in the last group. Whereas Main Cabin is what used to be just economy. Main Cabin is slightly more expensive but at lease you have some options.

Just thought I would let everyone know before you book and not get the airfare they expected.

Happy Holidays,

Ron & Treena
    Thanks for this information. We booked through Couples, however, this time we included our airfare because the price was so much better. Now I understand why. I went back and looked at the email confirmation, searched AA site as I'd never heard of Economy & immediately contacted Couples. I would have just liked to been informed prior to booking our flight instead of after the fact. Either way, we are looking forward to our fifth trip to Couples!!

I didnít realize this either. When I go to The AA site and look into my flight it does allow me to choose my seats though. Now Iím going to call and check on this. This should be clearly marked on the website when you purchase your trip. I donít see anything on my airline schedule either though that says basic economy. If you book main cabin it also says economy.

I checked out my flight that I already purchased and it is not basic economy. It is normal economy with access to the overhead storage bins and the ability to choose your seats or upgrade if you would like. I called the airline to confirm this. Your ticket will actually say basic economy not just economy. If couples is offering the basic economy tickets they need to clearly label this in their website before purchasing. I was freaking out since there was a chance I wouldnít be able to sit next to my husband. This will be my first flight and Iím kind of anxious about it.

Default No Response Yet

I've tried to contact Couples reservations via email and so far no response. If I don't hear something soon, I guess I'll just call but I've never known Couples not to reply. I totally agree, we should have been informed prior to booking that they book economy airfare. I too was able to select seats, however, AA site says you have to pay for seats if you select them in advance.

The same thing happened to us booking through Couples but with Delta. Couples didn't even know about the changes until I questioned them. You have to be very careful when booking your flights now.

Life is good

I saw the American airline alert regarding the no overhead bin use when searching and was also surprised. My husband wonders how they would ďpoliceĒ that restriction anyway......review every ticket when rushing folks through boarding line onto the plane? ....doubt flight attendant would be checking unless there is an issue.....that restriction may cause more issues. Anyway, My package came with a JetBlue airline option and Iím happy. Couples customer service rep was Wonderful helping me with an early flight that didnít appear with online package. Happy already with Couples service !