Thread: please help me!

Default please help me!

Horse back riding?
    Has anyone done the Hooves Horse back riding while down in Ocho Rios? I've seen one on Tripadvisor but wasn't sure if its good or not? Or how much that typically costs.

If anyone has been let me know...thanks a bunch!!!

40 days till we arrive at CSS!

I do know that it used to be an included activity which was dropped by the resort due to safety concerns. You may wish to ask the resort directly for an update, since that was many years ago.

We did the Hooves horseback riding while visiting there 9 years ago and regret not having done it again on other visits (tried other things). The one we did was from the plantation house to the ocean, with a ride in the ocean and back to the starting place. We enjoyed it with the guides being very good and the option to not have to wear a bicycle helmet (with signing of a waiver not holding Hooves responsible for injury) being a plus. It cost about $90/person and was well worth it!! We'll be adding this to our "to do" list on our next visit!

By the way, Driverlady, the Hooves Horseback riding excursion has not been an included activity from CSS as long as we've been going. There was another horseback riding excursion from CTI that was dropped for safety reasons.

Default Appropriate for those with no experience?

So we're thinking of signing up for a Hooves horseback ride during our October visit to CSS. I have essentially zero experience on horseback. Would this activity be a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter&Marti View Post
    So we're thinking of signing up for a Hooves horseback ride during our October visit to CSS. I have essentially zero experience on horseback. Would this activity be a bad idea?
    I have not done the Hooves ride - but have done a few back home. People seem the generally like it.

It depends on what kind of shape you're in and how much discomfort you might be willing to encounter. The saddles can sometimes be rough and it's not as easy to straddle the horse for a long time as it might look.

Sometimes horses can be un-predictable - especially in the hands of a beginner but I believe in this case the horses are pretty tame and walk pretty slow the whole way.

An alternative you might consider is the downhill bike ride:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...h_Jamaica.html

Or White river raft tour with Keith which only requires good arm strength (for lifting the Red Stripe to your mouth - we'll be there in October as well and plan to spend an afternoon with him

We did the Hooves horseback riding from CSS back in April, we highly recommend it. We had a great time. My wife has vision and balance issues. The staff, in typical Jamaican fashion, recognized this and took amazing care of her. They picked a gentle horse and kept a close eye on her. It is a very easy ride so lack of experience is not an issue. It cost $90 per person. You will also need some cash. There are two guides with each group that will need to be tipped, at the beach they give you a really good non-alcohol lemonade drink, but they have sodas and Red Stripe you can purchase. The pictures were between $10 - $20. We also tipped the driver. I dive in the mornings, so we went in the afternoon. It worked out great.

Check your County and State parks and recreation or a local stable and take a riding lesson or a trail ride before you go. You will have more riding confidence and the horse will be more at ease. Also, you can probably ask for a gentle horse when you go. Have fun!

Peter & Marti,
    The ride will probably leave your bum/thighs sore for a day or two afterwards if you aren't used to it. It's fun, but I wouldn't do it the day before a wedding or other event where you want to look dignified.