Default Disappointment in Couples San Souci

I hate to post a negative comment about Couples but I needed to vent somewhere. This was our 4th trip to a Couples resort and we absolutely love the people and the resort but we had a negative situation occur at our late visit. We booked this trip way back in November of 2016, when booking my wife listed an ocean front room. She didn't realize it wasn't located in the A/B block. We have other couples that go with us and they booked there room in A or B block. When we arrive this past Friday we were told that our room that we booked was not a Beach Front suite but was located somewhere else. The friends we booked with were in A block. We explained the situation and asked to be moved by them. They said of course no problem but it will be an extra $400 to be paid right now? I stated Wow, but paid the fee cause I did not want to disappoint my wife or the other couple. We checked in and noticed there were plenty of rooms available so it was not like I took someone else's room. After a day I asked to speak to a manager about the situation and was told there was nothing they could do. On the second day I asked to speak to another manager and was told the same. I am usually not one to complain especially about a awesome place like couples and feel I should pay for what is expected. My only problem is the way it was handled and the way the staff acted as if their concern was $400. Again I have been 4 times to Couples and love it just very disappointed in this last visit. My question to all is what would you have done and should I reach out to someone else?

The Beachfront Suites cost more than the room you booked. You were lucky there was one available. You should do your homework before booking.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

I don't want to seem negative but seems as though you were looking for a free upgrade. You stated that you have been there numerous times, so you must know the lay out of the buildings. I don't think the principle of taking someone else's room should be a factor because if the resort was full capacity there would of been no chance for you to upgrade to Beachfront. Personally if I made a mistake in booking and only noticed it when I arrived at the resort, I would pay the difference because I would of paid in the first place when I originally booked.

Hope you still had a good time. Returning to couples in 32 days for our 5th return

Sounds like you booked a deluxe ocean verandah or a One Bedroom Ocean suite instead. the Beachfront suite (block A or B) would be an upgrade to the room you reserved hence the $400 for an upgrade.

I have read your post twice, and quite frankly, am baffled at your complaint. It sounds like your request for the upgrade was handled quickly and efficiently, but you are un-happy with the extra cost. Did you seriously expect them to give you the room at no added cost? As well, having been there 4 times before, your should have known the room you booked was not a Beach Front room.
    Sorry, no sympathy here.

Obviously YOU booked a room category that was not your first choice....mistakes happen, I understand, but the mistake was yours and not Couples. Also, you were not charged a "fee". You were charged the difference in the cost of your room.

You ask "what would you have done". I would have stayed in the room category I booked and met my friends at other locations OR, I would have paid the upgrade cost if it were that important to be near your friends.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

i came here expecting something actual negative about the resort but instead i find someone who wanted a more expensive room at a cheaper rate. i think its good that they were willing to move you, you should have just paid the difference and been done with it

While this is their fourth trip to a Couples resort it sounds like it was their first time at this property. They must not have known that Beachfront and Oceanfront are different room types when they booked. Some people do more research than others and some people live on this message board. Fair enough!

But I'm not sure why the other responses are so defensive. I think the hotel could have done a bit better by explaining to the guests that their friends had booked a higher room type. If that was not explained I would say that would be what left the guests feeling less than great about the whole experience. I also feel like communications is an area where Couples could improve.
    SeaSunSky

It's pretty clear on the web site what the room categories are and where they are located:

https://couples.com/resorts/sans-souci/accommodations
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

I did not read where any of the rooms said oceanfront. On the East Coast "oceanfront" means on the ocean or rooms face the ocean. We have stayed at CSS and if you are not familiar with the room categories then I can see where you might expect something different because you might not be aware of the way the rooms are located up on the hillside if you did not reserve beachfront.

We asked to be moved once at CSS because our room was right beside the restaurant and it was really noisy in the morning and we stay up late and sleep late, they accommodated us at n/c but we had paid for beachfront already.

I guess it depends on who was working and if you had already occupied the room and they had to clean the room and if your category paid for was several steps below where you were requesting to move.

Its weird, the beachfront rooms at css aren't even really beachfront, not like at csa.

I booked the Beachfront room at CSS for our 1st full visit after doing ALOT of homework on each of the rooms and where they were located mostly because after visiting from CTI last year for 1 day I did not want to be on the hill when we spend most of time on the beach!! 6 more days and we'll be enjoying our Mojitos on the beach and relaxing in sun!! Soon come!!

Helen & Paul, Fl.

2002 CSA, 2006 CSA, 2010, CSA, 2011 CSA, 2012 CSA, 2013 CSA, 2014 CSA, 2015 CSA, 2016 CSA, 2017 CSS/CSA, 2018 CSA, 2019 CSA, 2020 ?????

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    I did not read where any of the rooms said oceanfront. On the East Coast "oceanfront" means on the ocean or rooms face the ocean. We have stayed at CSS and if you are not familiar with the room categories then I can see where you might expect something different because you might not be aware of the way the rooms are located up on the hillside if you did not reserve beachfront.

We asked to be moved once at CSS because our room was right beside the restaurant and it was really noisy in the morning and we stay up late and sleep late, they accommodated us at n/c but we had paid for beachfront already.

I guess it depends on who was working and if you had already occupied the room and they had to clean the room and if your category paid for was several steps below where you were requesting to move.
    being asked to move is one thing, being asked to move to a more expensive room category (like they did) and expecting no additional charges is something else. i agree without doing research the names can be a bit confusing but the staff was willing to move them and they were upset about being charged the difference. this is clearly on the guests and not the resort. them coming to the message boards to complain about this screams of entitlement

I read the title and was pretty worried as i am making my first visit soon. Turns out this is really nothing lol