Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Airport Security Question

    Hey MB users, I've been reading some things online about how bad airport security has been the last few weeks with people having to take food, books, etc. out, even with TSA Pre-Check. If some of you could let me know what your experiences have been like, I will appreciate it. Just trying to set the proper expectations going into our next trip. We bring a lot of snacks for the trip, and unloading everything could be a huge PITA. Thanks!
    "Brutalize me with music..."

    CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

  2. #2

    Default

    We just got back from CN. Going to Jamaica we had TSA Pre-Check and there were no issues leaving the US. We flew out of Lexington KY.
    Coming back into the US even though your boarding passes may say Pre-Check there is none in Jamaica so shoes, belts, ipads all had to go on the belt (even with Club Mobay Departure package). We bounced through Atlanta and the same thing even with Pre-Check we had to do the same thing (shoes, belts, ipads) out to be screened to get to our connecting flight home.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Hey MB users, I've been reading some things online about how bad airport security has been the last few weeks with people having to take food, books, etc. out, even with TSA Pre-Check. If some of you could let me know what your experiences have been like, I will appreciate it. Just trying to set the proper expectations going into our next trip. We bring a lot of snacks for the trip, and unloading everything could be a huge PITA. Thanks!
    When we went through immigration on arrival, security opened both of our carry-ons for inspection. I do not remember security on the way out being that big of an issue.

  4. #4

    Default

    It is always a PITA, Some cities are a small PITA and some are a big PITA. It depends on the day and time of your flight also.

    We like to travel mid week through CLT when traveling to Jamaica or Cancun

    Instead of shooting Bin Laden they should have brought him back to the US and put him in a room and make him go through airport security 24/7 for the rest of his life, that would have been justice!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Hey MB users, I've been reading some things online about how bad airport security has been the last few weeks with people having to take food, books, etc. out, even with TSA Pre-Check. If some of you could let me know what your experiences have been like, I will appreciate it. Just trying to set the proper expectations going into our next trip. We bring a lot of snacks for the trip, and unloading everything could be a huge PITA. Thanks!
    We were there just last month and had no such issues with airport security departing Montego Bay (Sangster Int'l). TSA went smoothly and we zipped through without having to unload our carry on bags. This is not our first trip to Jamaica and we saw no changes in procedure when processing through TSA there. Everything is "no problem, mon"...except having to leave.

  6. #6

    Default

    Remember... As of two weeks ago, TSA has cranked security up another notch, and if a flight is headed to a US port of entry, those enhancements will also be evident. The most obvious PITA will be that all... spelled ALL... personal electronics must be removed from their cases and placed, single layer, in plastic bins. So yeah, if you're carrying a laptop, tablet, iPod, cell phone, etc., it will have to be removed from your carry on, purse, backpack, etc.

  7. #7

    Default

    Minor inconvenience for having a safe flight. No Problems Mon.

    Better half had "SSS" on her boarding pass at Sangster on our way home once, an adventure she will never forget. Random security check.. Just shy of a BCS twice, once at TSA and again at boarding. They tried like the devil to get me to board without her while they searched her quite extensively again at the gangway to the plane. Never saw so many looks from other passengers both during and after we boarded. Oh and they changed her seating assignment so she was several rows away from me during the flight.. The drive from the airport to home was less than fun...

  8. #8

    Default

    Last Sunday afternoon the SSS people were called up about 20 minutes before boarding so they could be screened (one at a time) before the boarding process began. I myself was an SSS recipient two trips ago and yeah it was fun watching 200 people file by as security patted me down and opened up my carry-on and just about dumped all my stuff on a table.

  9. #9

    Default

    Yeah we didn't get how she got screened in the private room at TSA and everything was ok and then again at the boarding gate, which happened during boarding for her.. Maybe they have "Improved" the process.

  10. #10

    Default

    We have seen this happen many times. They setup a table at the jetway and start screening everyone. Once an older Local Jamaican guy started raising Hell when they tried to screen him and of course security was called and that delayed everyone.

    We were searched in the jetway once for currency.

  11. #11

    Default

    I've had the special treatment at Sangster also, including being pulled aside at the gate, being searched and having by carry on emptied and searched while others filed by. My view, big deal. If this happens once on a while for safety so be it. I'm not losing any sleep over it!

    Hope all is Irie, hope to return next year!

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    I've had the special treatment at Sangster also, including being pulled aside at the gate, being searched and having by carry on emptied and searched while others filed by. My view, big deal. If this happens once on a while for safety so be it. I'm not losing any sleep over it!

    Hope all is Irie, hope to return next year!
    Missed you and Mrs. Piperman this year!!!!!
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

  13. #13

    Default

    Is this happening on flights between Jamaica and Canada too, or only flights connecting to USA?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Is this happening on flights between Jamaica and Canada too, or only flights connecting to USA?
    Steve T, I fly out of Toronto. But let's not make this more than it is, it isn't like everyone gets pulled over. We've travelled to and from Sangster more than 20 times, it happened to me once, not a big deal.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    Steve T, I fly out of Toronto. But let's not make this more than it is, it isn't like everyone gets pulled over. We've travelled to and from Sangster more than 20 times, it happened to me once, not a big deal.
    Thanks. We fly out of Pearson in 19 days. Looking forward to it, and I wouldn't let something like this affect it.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    Thanks. We fly out of Pearson in 19 days. Looking forward to it, and I wouldn't let something like this affect it.
    You'll have an awesome time! Enjoy!

  17. #17

    Default

    When we arrived at couples my husbands bag had a tag in it that it was searched, We went thru getting on the plane pretty good then we hit the US, we...well he was picked to be screened. (since you were together you both go) but it was pretty quick for us. We went from a line of about 150 people to a line of 6, was asked some questions and sent on our way. Kind of like an express line. So I guess everyone is different. It was our first out of the country trip so it kinda freaks you out.

  18. #18

    Default

    Had a beagle ask me some questions at MIA one time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •