Thread: Hurricane Irma

Default Hurricane Irma

Looks like Jamaica is right in the path of Hurricane Irma. Prayers for everyone on the island! Hopefully it will shift directions.

Did you read the weather forecast on Irma from NOAA? It is not expected to form to be much of anything at all and it is SO FAR out in the ocean, anything could happen. Don't be so quick to think that a storm off the coast of Africa is headed to Jamaica. It is far too early to be able to predict that. Calm down and take a deep breath and check out NOAA's website.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We're arriving Monday. Not excited about Irma.

Any update? Has the course changed?

Actually, Irma is quickly developing into a very powerful and dangerous storm. However, NOAA forecasters aren't prepared at this point to say when or where it might make landfall, other than to say it would be several days before it MIGHT affect the Antilles. Monitor NOAA for best info.

Looks Like Irma may be an issue later this week. We are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Did you read the weather forecast on Irma from NOAA? It is not expected to form to be much of anything at all and it is SO FAR out in the ocean, anything could happen. Don't be so quick to think that a storm off the coast of Africa is headed to Jamaica. It is far too early to be able to predict that. Calm down and take a deep breath and check out NOAA's website.
    Wow, not quite sure why the OPs original post was answered by you in this manner. OP merely stated that Irma was potentially on a path to Jamaica which (1) was true at the time of their posting and (2) still stands true today, 5 days later!

I will reiterate what the OP said, God Bless Jamaica, the entire northern Caribbean and anyone else in the path of Irma.

We are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. I am so nervous and wondering it we need to postpone a few days. UGGGGGG

This forum is about the last place you should be checking for information about Hurricane Irma. For one thing it is a moderated forum that is only updated once or twice per day. Sorry to say that the people commenting here are not weather or hurricane experts. I would not alter my travel plans based upon this information.

You would be better off looking at these websites for better information about this storm
    https://weather.com/storms/hurricane-central
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

With that said. As of now Hurricane Irma is not within the projected path of this storm. However, this could change. With this current path what you will more likely experience is some rain and high waves. With the high waves you may see more red flag conditions on the beach, especially at CSS and CTI. When there are red flag conditions all water sports activities are suspended. CTI would shut down the island. Activities like snorkeling, scuba, glass bottom boat, catamaran cruise, hobie cats, kayak, paddle boards, etc. will be suspended. They won't stop you from going in the water, but it isn't recommended.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

Quote Originally Posted by BOLTFISH View Post
    Wow, not quite sure why the OPs original post was answered by you in this manner. OP merely stated that Irma was potentially on a path to Jamaica which (1) was true at the time of their posting and (2) still stands true today, 5 days later!

I will reiterate what the OP said, God Bless Jamaica, the entire northern Caribbean and anyone else in the path of Irma.
    Thank you!

Looks like Jamaica will be spared from the worst. Maybe some rain and thunderstorms, but no severe weather. Go, have fun.

On the other hand. Irma is forming up to be a monstrous hurricane that may hit Florida later this week, as well as several Caribbean islands along the way.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

Looks like the path is now to the north, so Jamaica should be alright. all travelling there in the next few days, safe travels and enjoy!

According to the most recent info on the NOAA site it looks as though winds from Irma will affect Jamaica Thursday evening into Friday morning (10-20% chance of winds of +39 mph). The good news, for those in Jamaica, is that the main part of the storm, and strongest winds, look like they'll go north of the Dominican Republic/Haiti and Cuba. Appears it'll be a wet beginning to the weekend (Friday). Echoing Canya615's comment, "Prayers for everyone on the island!".

It looks very likely that the biggest issue with Irma for those travelling to Jamaica in the next few days will be... getting to Jamaica. With a Friday landfall for south Florida seeming more and more likely, a big connection point for air travel may be cut off. The size of the storm, wherever it may wander, will likely interfere with many other airline routes, as well (I'm looking at you, Atlanta and Charlotte). I hope all those headed down late this week and early next week will have timely and safe travels.

Prayers to anyone who will be affected no matter where they are.

If you're going to Jamaica in the next few days - assuming the storm follows the current predicted course and does not affect Jamaica much - then this may be a blessing in disguise for your vacation.

Usually a fast moving storm like this will suck all the energy out of the region for many days after it passes - you're usually left with very dry, sunny skies for a good week afterwards.

I lived in Florida for 20 years and I was always amazed at the contrast from dark, stormy skies to beautiful, sunny weather shortly after (which we could never enjoy because we were stuck cleaning up crap!).

We are flying to Montego Bay from Atlanta Thursday morning - first flight out at 9AM. Based on the NOAA forecast, we have no concerns about getting there or the flight being cancelled. Maybe some winds and storms in Negril on Friday/Saturday, but not worried.

Delta Airlines is already posting notices about travel from September 6-17 for basically "any city in Florida". The Atlanta airport may not be affected directly by the storm, but many of the routes that go through Atlanta depend on planes moving up and down the east coast, so any route disruptions in Florida may have knock-on effects. I'm guessing that all the airlines try to get their planes in the air and out of danger, parked somewhere inland in a state not named Florida.

We are scheduled to fly in Sat- leaving Baltimore at 8am. No flights have been cancelled- and I know Jamaica is not in the direct path.. but how will we get there? Fly thru the hurricane? Above it? Around it? Very nervous about the flight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecstar1 View Post
    We are scheduled to fly in Sat- leaving Baltimore at 8am. No flights have been cancelled- and I know Jamaica is not in the direct path.. but how will we get there? Fly thru the hurricane? Above it? Around it? Very nervous about the flight!!!
    Rebecstar1, you will be fine, last year we arrived in MoBay the same day that Hurricane Mathew hit Haiti, I was a little concerned that we may have a rough ride, but our approach and landing were quite smooth. You will have a great time, enjoy!
    Last edited by Piperman; September 7th, 2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Incorrect statement

We are in Negril now. Smooth and uneventful flight Thursday morning from Atlanta. Weather has been great so far, with a chance of rain tonight (Friday night). Things sure look bad for Florida. We may have friends from Miami staying at our empty house.

Quote Originally Posted by BOLTFISH View Post

I only responded the way I did because we get so many posters on this board that as soon as a storm clouds form off of Africa they start freaking out. While Irma has turned out to be a monster it did not hit Jamaica and there was no need to worry. I was trying to make a point that until the eye of the storm points in a definite direction there is no need to freak out! Just this morning Irma changed her mind and headed up the west coast of Florida when all week they were preparing the east coast for the storm. No need to freak out until it is justified.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come