Default Packing Sunscreen/Bug Spray in Carry On

My fiance and I will be travelling to CSS this October and we are preparing to pack. We are planning on not checking any bags and would just like to travel with our carry on luggage. Obviously with the liquids rule we will be unable to take a large bottle of sunscreen in our carry on. I am not looking forward to filling up many of the small 3 oz travel bottles with sunscreen. Have any of my fellow travelers found a better way to go about doing this? I do see that they sell stick sunscreen, has anyone used this and does it work? Also unsure how to travel with bug spray and if it would even be necessary?

Thank you in advance.

40 days to paradise!

Welcome to Couples,

An option. Every Couples we have been to has a small shop. Not sure about the insect spray but I am pretty sure they sell sunscreen. You could always wait and purchase these items on the resort. May be a little more expensive than bringing your own but solves the issue of getting these items past security.

Sunscreen is definitely a requirement.

Bug Spray? We have been to Couples 5 times and I don't recall getting a mosquito bite. However, Jamaica is on the CDC Zika virus warning list.
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/wo...reas-with-zika
    Something to consider if you are in your child bearing years. Also. We may not have gotten mosquito bites but there are biting gnats. We mostly get them in the evening when around any sand. Bug spray would help with this.

Enjoy your stay in paradise

Only 162 more days until we return
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

You can buy bug spray and sunscreen at CSS, we've done this a couple of times. It's more expensive tha the US or Canada, but a relatively small price to travel with no checked baggage! You will have a great time at CSS, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by newman258 View Post
    My fiance and I will be travelling to CSS this October and we are preparing to pack. We are planning on not checking any bags and would just like to travel with our carry on luggage. Obviously with the liquids rule we will be unable to take a large bottle of sunscreen in our carry on. I am not looking forward to filling up many of the small 3 oz travel bottles with sunscreen. Have any of my fellow travelers found a better way to go about doing this? I do see that they sell stick sunscreen, has anyone used this and does it work? Also unsure how to travel with bug spray and if it would even be necessary?

Thank you in advance.

40 days to paradise!
    Don't know about stick sunscreen, but sounds suspect. Your options are to either purchase sunscreen while you are there, or bring it with you. As you pointed out, TSA will confiscate sunscreens in bottles over 3 oz. And they did for us. Lost about $30 worth of sunscreen. If you bring it with you, either need a checked bag, or to put it in 3oz bottles. Luckily you have 40 days to do that.

Or, you can go on Amazon, type in Travel Size Sunscreen and bring multiple 1 or 2 oz travel size sunscreens.

Bug spray is good if you plan to go on/near the beach after sunset. There may not be mosquitoes to contend with but sand fleas can be just as irritating. Be sure to get something that has at least 40% DEET. We typically spray from the knees down and found one in our local Wal-Mart (Repel, Sportsmen Max) that came in a 0.475 oz. container...so bought 2 for each of us and it got us through the week.

We EACH take a 3oz travel bottle of sunscreen, or take two each. We do not check bags either.

Had to purchase a bottle at CN giftshop once, $20+ and we had to leave half of it behind.

I've taken the Off Deep Woods towelettes. We were ready to go with our carry-on, as well. Even had the bug bite anti-itch roll on thingy. Went to CTI this time and had no worries! Didn't even need them. Suffice to say, we will be returning to CTI for our 25th anniversary in 2019....hopefully sooner!

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011
    CTI 2017 [50th birthday & 23rd anniversary], 2019 [25th anniversary]

Just a thought...6 oz of sunscreen does not go far. A 12 oz bottle at home costs maybe $10-$12. So paying $20 at Couples and leaving half actually cost you $30. I will pay the $20 for the convenience of being able to carry on and use my baggie to bring other liquid items that arent available.

Quote Originally Posted by zeek48 View Post
    A 12 oz bottle at home costs maybe $10-$12. So paying $20 at Couples and leaving half actually cost you $30.
    I'm generally pretty good at math, but I am at a loss as to how this equation works.