Default Bringing Travel Size Booze On Plane...Departing Flight

Has anyone done this on their trip to Jamaica?

I was perusing the new guidelines on TSA's website.

They state that nothing more than what can comfortably fill a quart bag.

I'm thinking this is separate from the 3-1-1 rule.

Can anyone clarify who has done this? They don't specify on their website.

Alcoholic beverages
    Carry On Bags:
    Yes (Less than 3.4oz/100 ml allowed)
    Checked Bags:
    Yes

Alcoholic beverages with more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol are limited in checked bags to 5 liters (1.3 gallons) per passenger and must be in unopened retail packaging. Alcoholic beverages with 24% alcohol or less are not subject to limitations in checked bags.

Mini bottles of alcohol in carry-on must be able to comfortably fit into a single quart-sized bag.

Thanks for your input!

Michele

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011
    CTI 2017 [50th birthday & 23rd anniversary], 2019 [25th anniversary]

Hi,
    Since i don't drink beer in the Couples Lounge when we arrive, this is what we do... I buy 4 mini rum bottles and place them in a small zip lock baggie. Then I put them in the front pocket of our checked bag. When we retrieve our bag at the airport they're easy to get to being in the front of the bag. We get our Pepsi in the lounge and mix up our drinks for the ride to our favorite place! They have never leaked or been confiscated, but we only bring 4 little bottles, enough for the ride!We've done this several times and never a problem. Not really sure about placing them in a carry on....Cheers!

We actually did this on our last trip to CSA just a little over a year ago. We just put mini unopened vodka bottles in the ziploc bag in our carry on. Had no problems with security at all. Bought some OJ after security and we were all set!

I drink Jack Daniels on the plane...I pack a few 'nips' in my carry on. get an ice water on the plane, drink the water, then have a Jack on the rocks!

This is a lot simpler than it seems, and it all falls into the 3-1-1 rule. The rule states that you can put as many 3oz liquids (technically 3.4oz, because they round down) into one one-quart bag as you can fit. This includes alcohol. Shooter bottles are typically 1.5oz, and if you have something like Fireball, Calypso, Platinum, etc, they also come in double shooters, which are 3oz. I have done this several times, including just last month, and have never had a hang-up. Just make sure you still have room for your other liquids as well, because you only get one bag per traveler.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

we have always brought mini bottles in our carry on, but on the plane we order a mixed drink then discretely add our own, the stewardess do not approve of bringing your own alcohol on the plane, sometimes we just mix our drink in the terminal before we get on the plane, no problem

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    This is a lot simpler than it seems, and it all falls into the 3-1-1 rule. The rule states that you can put as many 3oz liquids (technically 3.4oz, because they round down) into one one-quart bag as you can fit. This includes alcohol. Shooter bottles are typically 1.5oz, and if you have something like Fireball, Calypso, Platinum, etc, they also come in double shooters, which are 3oz. I have done this several times, including just last month, and have never had a hang-up. Just make sure you still have room for your other liquids as well, because you only get one bag per traveler.
    Exactly this. I always have several 3.4 oz refillable plastic containers in the 1-quart bag in our carry-on. They fit in there with other things like toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. Then on the plane we order a soft drink/mixer and in the alcohol goes (after the FA passes our row).

You can bring your own alcohol as stated using the 3-1-1 guidelines for a carry on. Just be aware it is against federal law to open them on the plane. The flight attendants are the only ones allowed to serve. I would suggest preparing your drink before boarding or at a minimum wait until the attendants have passed your row to start mixing your drink.

You've just paid thousands for your vacation and you're going to risk Federal charges or worse to save a couple of bucks on booze on the plane? What am I missing?

Exactly AUGolfer! Be careful if you decide to break that law folks. The drinks on the plane are usually not so expensive that I choose breaking the law over just buying what I want on the plane.