Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Couples Negril-smoking on balcony?

I was wondering if it is true that smoking was allowed/tolerated on the balconies at this resort?
    I know the "official" party line is that, due to the law of 2015, any covered area is a non-smoking area...

I have heard at Couples Negril there are ashtrays and matches on the table on the balconies? Is that true?
    Wife likes the convenience of being able to step out on the balcony to have a puff.....otherwise a very considerate smoker.....
    Smoking at the AN beach area is not a problem either? Cleaning up after is a given......

Coming in Feb 2018 for 2 weeks......

Greg and Judy
    Cochrane, AB

No one will stop you. Our friends brought an ashtray for their balcony and housekeeping took it one day when they had left it out. But they were in a first floor room and security walked by many times and never once said anything about them smoking on the balcony.

It will depend on your neighbor - if you're always out there, smoking constantly, and if your neighbor is sensitive/complains then you might get a letter stating the "policy"

If this happens (not likely) just ask to move - should be no problem...

AN beach is no problem - I moved close to the security shack when I smoked as they smoked too.... plus there's a hammock there too!

Officially, no smoking is allowed on the balcony. Greg, I appreciate and respect that your wife is a "considerate smoker," but just so you know, smoke drifts into the adjoining balconies and rooms, and LINGERS. I know this personally because we roomed next to smokers on both sides of us (prior to 2015) -- we could not enjoy the balcony while the neighbors were puffing, and unfortunately sometimes long after they finished puffing. I hope that your wife will take this into consideration. Thank you and enjoy your trip in February!
    CN Apr 2006 (Married)
    CN Jul 2008
    CTI Mar2010
    CN Apr 2012
    CN Aug 2014

I have to ask the question.....Can you really say you're frustrated that people on vacation travelling to "Jamaica" of all places on earth may just wanna smoke in peace and not be judged on their balcony? Seriously if a person cant be a "considerate" smoker in Jamaica i mean what is the world coming to???

"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet" -- Bob Marley

Well said Tbrooks330, we aren't smokers but everyone around us was in building 2 last week. On the beach we might have moved but not in our rooms we just dealt with it. I do know people that really can't stand the smell and if that was me I think I would have just gone and sat in one of the hammocks right in front of building 2 or 4. It's great when people ask 1st on the beach and even though my feeling is that I would rather they don't smoke so near me I always say "smoke on" and thank them for being considerate enough to ask first.

"I have to ask the question.....Can you really say you're frustrated that people on vacation travelling to "Jamaica" of all places on earth may just wanna smoke in peace and not be judged on their balcony? Seriously if a person cant be a "considerate" smoker in Jamaica i mean what is the world coming to??? "

Im really not sure what "Traveling to Jamaica " has to do with the issue. I pay a chunk of money every year to travel to Couples and enjoy myself, without having to police other adults who's habit has an impact on my ability to do so. I honestly do feel for smokers-but if the rule says "don't smoke on your balcony"- that doesn't mean go ahead and do it until someone complains. Wear a patch- for the week, bet nobody will have to complain about that !
    And much like OJ Simpson looking for "the real killers"- I'm on a quest to find a smoker who doesn't claim to be a "considerate smoker" sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by Tbrooks330 View Post
    I have to ask the question.....Can you really say you're frustrated that people on vacation travelling to "Jamaica" of all places on earth may just wanna smoke in peace and not be judged on their balcony? Seriously if a person cant be a "considerate" smoker in Jamaica i mean what is the world coming to???

Not sure that I understand what Tbrooks is saying here, BUT a considerate smoker would not smoke on the balcony if the rules say "no smoking on the balcony".

We were at CTI last year and you cannot smoke at the outside bar because it is covered but guests would stand/sit at the bar and when they wanted to smoke would back off from the bar about 4 feet and smoke and put their ashes in a cup. Nobody said anything to them so we would not frequent that bar. We would have to get our drinks and go somewhere else to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike&Sylvia View Post
    that doesn't mean go ahead and do it until someone complains. .... I'm on a quest to find a smoker who doesn't claim to be a "considerate smoker" sylvia
    Ha Ha! Well said!

If you don't know what someone means about smoking in "Jamaica" when it's in parenthesis this message board probably isn't going to help. I find it unfortunate that some haven't been around considerate smokers, we've only had once when someone lit up on the beach without asking us first when they were near us and we simply got up and went in the water for a while. There are lots of rules that don't get enforced and up until a few years ago every balcony had an ash tray, heck I heard someone on the Facebook page today say his room had one in May. I get the feeling that some people wouldn't know a considerate smoker if they walked up and talked to them because they feel like all smokers are inconsiderate. Amazingly paying for your vacation doesn't mean that you get to decide how someone else enjoys theirs. And no I'm not a considerate smoker because I'm not a smoker.

**shrugs** @ confusion. Enjoy your life and allow others to enjoy theirs -- Thats the jist (pretty simple mantra to live a peaceful & fruitful life)

Agreed Mike&Sylvia!! Also, pretty sure Couples management is not going to agree to move you to a different room if someone complains you are smoking on your balcony. That sort of defies logic.

If someone is smoking on the beach then I can move somewhere else and we have done this in the past, it does bother some people physically.

We like to read and/or drink wine on our balcony.

If it is "ok" to smoke on the balcony when the rules say no smoking then why not light up in the restaurant or on the van ride over?

You were allowed to smoke on the balcony of cruise ships but someone threw a lit cigarette off the ship and it blew back and started a huge fire which ruined the vacation for thousands of people so now there is no smoking on the balcony

They only had to make the non smoking rule because of the inconsiderate guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby and Lisa View Post
    Agreed Mike&Sylvia!! Also, pretty sure Couples management is not going to agree to move you to a different room if someone complains you are smoking on your balcony. That sort of defies logic.
    In 19 years going to Couples, the only time I have seen someone get a smoking "Letter" is at CSS 2 years ago - they were asked to stop hosting their "Cigar smoking parties" on their balcony - the guest spoke to mgmt and SURPRISE - the solution was to move the cigar smokers together high up on the cliffs...

No one suggested "do it until someone complains" - I informed the original poster the worst that would happen based on the experience above...

...And - there is a reason this question continues to come up - the law is vague on balconies and is left to the discretion of the hotel - if they put a "NO SMOKING" sign on the balcony (like in the room) instead of ashtrays, this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion and everyone could go back to enjoying their vacation instead of "policing other adults" (funny how it takes so little to ruin others vacations - I don't even know why you bother).

"Amazingly paying for your vacation doesn't mean that you get to decide how someone else enjoys theirs." - Thank you IowaHawkeyes!

And for the record - I don't even smoke cigarettes - I prefer the local herbs but I still don't smoke on my balcony because quite frankly - its boring... Lot's more to look at and enjoy down by the ocean - and - I can find a spot very far away and avoid the issue entirely...

At CN you can be on the beach in seconds.

drbcwp,

They didn't make the rule because of inconsiderate guests, we were there the day the rule went into effect, Jamaica passed a law that is vague at best. And to be legal ground floor guests would only have to take 1 step off their balcony which isn't going to do too much in the way of dissipating the smoke.

Bobby and Lisa,

I would be willing to take a friendly bet that if someone really complained about a neighbor smoking that management would relocate the offending party. Two weeks ago it seemed like I couldn't step on our patio without smelling smoke and it didn't stop for 9 days. We didn't complain but I've never known Couples to say no to a reasonable request and not every block is going to have someone that is really offended or bothered by smoke.

"Amazingly paying for your vacation doesn't mean that you get to decide how someone else enjoys theirs." - Thank you IowaHawkeyes

Interesting quote, is it suggesting that a non smoker is deciding how a smoker can enjoy their vacation? Or is it suggesting that smokers can dictate how non smokers enjoy their vacation by smoking on balconies, or wherever. If you balcony smoking is impacting our enjoyment, then management will be called upon to make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Piperman View Post
    "Amazingly paying for your vacation doesn't mean that you get to decide how someone else enjoys theirs." - Thank you IowaHawkeyes

Interesting quote, is it suggesting that a non smoker is deciding how a smoker can enjoy their vacation? Or is it suggesting that smokers can dictate how non smokers enjoy their vacation by smoking on balconies, or wherever. If you balcony smoking is impacting our enjoyment, then management will be called upon to make a decision.
    Finally something we agree on! Mgmt has the sole discretion to decide what the rules actually are and therefore who is breaking them - not the made up vacation police that patrol these boards and make assumptions based on little to no facts.

And to be clear - I have known of people booted from the property for not heeding what mgmt requests (usually for fighting or lewd/openly sexual pdas) so if mgmt says stop smoking on your balcony and nothing can be worked out; I suggest a quick walk to the beach.

And while everyone's paying attention - I'm going to just point this out too -SSB is CLOTHING OPTIONAL at 5:00! We are not "breaking" that (made up) rule either.

Piperman,

You can read into it whatever you want, it means exactly what it says... I have never once "made a call to the front office" about the actions of another guest at Couples, which I read in a post the other day. Live and let live, I guess if it bothers you so much then complain but similar to what MichaelAndKristen said if these little things could ruin my vacation I know I wouldn't be spending as much as I do to travel to Couples hoping a smoker wouldn't come near me and ruin my trip. Again all someone has to do is step off their balcony on the ground floor and they are no longer under a roof, not really sure what you're going to do then.

We just got home from CN and I saw some activity that I didn't love at different places around the resort, we had decisions to make, either deal with it or find something else to do which included leaving a dinner at Otaheite earlier than I would have liked. Calling management never once entered my mind but again to each his own. We will continue to visit CN and thoroughly enjoy our precious time spent in Jamaica even if some people do things that we don't love.

Respect.

We have never complained to management about anyone or do we try to police anyone's vacation. If the resort allows guests to smoke on the balcony and it bothers us then we will vote with our wallets and go somewhere else. Many areas of the world that we have visited do not have strict smoking policies so it would do us no good to complain. Hong Kong has some of the strictest smoking policies of any place that we have visited and it seemed like a lot of people smoke.

Actually MichaelandKristen, the Tobacco Control Laws are quite clear, and so I'm not sure where the ambiguity lies. If Couples wanted to take a hard line and enforce each and every component of the law, I'm sure there would be plenty of complaints from smokers and defenders of smokers, but it appears Couples is trying to be reasonable to appease and attract their clients, and not get fined at the same time. Good for them. If smokers keep pushing the limits, I foresee a much stricter enforcement.

Also, no one on this post said anything about smoke ruining a vacation except for you and Iowahawkeyes. On numerous occasions during my many stays at Couples I have very quietly picked up my belongings and moved away from a smoker on the beach. But if something affects the enjoyment to use my own room, and obstructs my ability to inhale clean air, absolutely I will complain. Respect goes both ways.
    CN Apr 2006 (Married)
    CN Jul 2008
    CTI Mar2010
    CN Apr 2012
    CN Aug 2014

Bobby and Lisa,

Yes you didn't say it ruined your vacation, you simply informed a smoker that "smoke drifts into the adjoining balconies and rooms, and LINGERS" and put considerate smokers in parenthesis. Sorry the condescension got a little heavy for me and somehow I ended up defending someones right to smoke. The bigger point is towards the OP's question is that if someone occasionally steps out onto their patio or balcony and smokes 99% of the time no one is going to have a problem with it, at least from our experiences at CN.

And the ambiguity in the law lies in the question is your balcony a public place? Because if it isn't then it's not covered by the law. And if it is there needs to be a no smoking sign at eye level on the balcony in order to comply with the law.

Two weeks ago I sat at the Office of Nature eating lunch while people all around me smoked and I had a nice conversation with 2 policemen, if ever someone was going to be ticketed for an infraction of the 2013, not 2015, Tobacco Control Law that would have been it. We were at a public place, and a workplace that was also an enclosed space. Guess how many tickets were written???

Bobby and Lisa - I respectfully disagree because if the law was clear, this thread wouldn't exist.

If Couples would put NO SMOKING signs on the balcony instead of ashtrays, this thread wouldn't exist.

I could care less which way they decide as the policy doesn't affect me - I was providing the original poster with an answer based on recent actual experience - not my opinion of what I think the rule should be or what I think the law says, or what is considerate or not.

And it was my definition of a ruined vacation - specifically when a post mentioned worrying about "policing other adults" - If someone is starting a vacation with that mindset/perspective then the vacation is already ruined in my mind as you've already decided to spend your vacation looking for rule breakers...

...but we agree 100% - mgmt should deal with any complaints as I'm quite confident they will do a very good job of sorting out and resolving the issues for both parties...

Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAndKristin View Post
    It will depend on your neighbor - if you're always out there, smoking constantly, and if your neighbor is sensitive/complains then you might get a letter stating the "policy"

If this happens (not likely) just ask to move - should be no problem...

AN beach is no problem - I moved close to the security shack when I smoked as they smoked too.... plus there's a hammock there too!
    I will point out that my original advice was spot on to people's actual experiences - smoker or not - I will re-phrase as if a non-smoker asked the same questions...

They currently provide ashtrays on the balcony so people will smoke, but if someone's smoke is bothering you - whether they are on a balcony or just standing in the open area near your room - let mgmt know - they will help resolve the issue without you needing to involve yourself further. The typical resolution is to move the other guest to another part of the resort... (I had never suggested no-one complain - I told the op what to expect)

On the AN beach, don't set up near the security shack - many of them smoke too and people join them and chat...

Quote Originally Posted by Iowahawkeyes View Post
    Piperman,

You can read into it whatever you want, it means exactly what it says... I have never once "made a call to the front office" about the actions of another guest at Couples, which I read in a post the other day. Live and let live, I guess if it bothers you so much then complain but similar to what MichaelAndKristen said if these little things could ruin my vacation I know I wouldn't be spending as much as I do to travel to Couples hoping a smoker wouldn't come near me and ruin my trip. Again all someone has to do is step off their balcony on the ground floor and they are no longer under a roof, not really sure what you're going to do then.

We just got home from CN and I saw some activity that I didn't love at different places around the resort, we had decisions to make, either deal with it or find something else to do which included leaving a dinner at Otaheite earlier than I would have liked. Calling management never once entered my mind but again to each his own. We will continue to visit CN and thoroughly enjoy our precious time spent in Jamaica even if some people do things that we don't love.
    Well Iowahawkeye, maybe you see it a little thing, but when your smoke drifts from your balcony to mine giving my wife a migraine, which has happened, then it's no logger a little thing. Respect the law!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast