Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSB beach size

Default SSB beach size

Would you please help me understand the beach size at SSB? We are familiar with CN AN and wondering how the number of chairs and also how much shade is available there in comparison to CN AN? Totally understand already that the swimming in ocean is not as nice at SSB compared to CN. I'm looking for how the "beach lounging" compares.

The beach is not huge, but secluded. We never had an issue finding chairs or shade. My wife loves the sun, my pasty white skin, not so much! If there is a certain area you like, get to SSB early.
    Beach shoes are helpful as there are a lot of rocks on the beach and in the water.
    You won't have an issue finding lounge chairs on the beach or by the pool area. I suppose it depends if CSS is full but we never had an issue.

Enjoy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyhub View Post
    Would you please help me understand the beach size at SSB? We are familiar with CN AN and wondering how the number of chairs and also how much shade is available there in comparison to CN AN? Totally understand already that the swimming in ocean is not as nice at SSB compared to CN. I'm looking for how the "beach lounging" compares.
    It is probably about the same width (ocean frontage) but not nearly as deep. And the beach is not a natural beach. At CN sand is deep but at CSS and SSB it is really just a top layer.

Quote Originally Posted by rim1one View Post
    It is probably about the same width (ocean frontage) but not nearly as deep. And the beach is not a natural beach. At CN sand is deep but at CSS and SSB it is really just a top layer.
    The beach is actually real. Has been there for many years but changes in size quite frequently. SSB is more private and has far better facilities than the AN beach at CN.

These are very helpful comments. When you say "much better facilities" what do you mean? Thanks

These are very helpful comments. When you say "much better facilities" what do you mean? Thanks
    1. PRIVATE
    2. Pool
    3. Hot Tub
    4. Grill
    5. Private
    6. Private

SSB has a pool with a bar, hot tub built into the deck of the pool, as well as a facility to cook lunches on site. They also bring other prepared meals over for lunch and kept warm with chafing dishes creating a small buffet. Soft serve ice cream and popcorn machine. It is a nice set up.

Very Good point about the privacy! At least for us, the privacy at SSB outweighs the beach issue and is probably the main reason we go back to SSB.

Quote Originally Posted by rim1one View Post
    Very Good point about the privacy! At least for us, the privacy at SSB outweighs the beach issue and is probably the main reason we go back to SSB.

Ditto...a wonderful, private place.

SSB also has coffee and hot water for tea for the early arrivals.

SSB also has 10- 12 palapas, 2 hammocks and volleyball court ( in poor codition, as per our last vist in August 2016)

The volleyball court is now gone, and has been replaced with additional Palapas. Pool volleyball is still going strong, and a LOT of FUN!!

Quote Originally Posted by drbcwp View Post
    1. PRIVATE
    2. Pool
    3. Hot Tub
    4. Grill
    5. Private
    6. Private
    There is a hot tub at CN.

You seem very concerned about Private. We've never found it to be an issue. Really, once you've decided to be naked, what difference does it make whether other naked people see you or someone with clothes on? I hear lots of people concerned about kids but the beach on the other side of the river at SSB frequently has kids on it. The only real difference might be vendors but they're no bother and you do need to know about the weather......Cigarettes, cigar, cigar, cigar.....it's gonna be hot, hot, hot.

We go to both CSS and CN every year and we prefer CN just because the ocean is magnificent there with the smooth sand and warm water. Who needs a pool? The grill/food is the one big difference but it's not really a problem as the restaurants are pretty close and they provide much more variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post

You seem very concerned about Private. We've never found it to be an issue. Really, once you've decided to be naked, what difference does it make whether other naked people see you or someone with clothes on? I hear lots of people concerned about kids but the beach on the other side of the river at SSB frequently has kids on it. The only real difference might be vendors but they're no bother and you do need to know about the weather......Cigarettes, cigar, cigar, cigar.....it's gonna be hot, hot, hot.

We go to both CSS and CN every year and we prefer CN just because the ocean is magnificent there with the smooth sand and warm water. Who needs a pool? The grill/food is the one big difference but it's not really a problem as the restaurants are pretty close and they provide much more variety.
    I am glad that you have no issue with the privacy, or lack their of. To each their own. SSB does not have a clothed resort on both sides of it like CN does. I found SSB the more comfortable beach in regards to just starting out au naturel. As well, I have read many other people's posts and privacy is somewhat of a concern for many (maybe still the minority, but a significant number regardless). That is why privacy was mentioned.

The beach at SSB is roughly 175 ft deep and 300 ft long per the most recent google earth. The beach does change size. There are a ton of chairs and not even half were used the day we had about 40-50 people at SSB. And we were guilty of putting our stuff down on chairs in the more private area, settling in, then making our way to the pool where we stayed the rest of the day.

The AN beach at Negril, though nicer, is about 100 ft deep and a little over 100 ft long. Water is much nicer.

As noted earlier, SSB is private, with the exception of the Sandals sightseeing boat and the local fisherman taking in their catch. There is a public beach with kids across the river, but they can't see the pool area or if you are 20 ft from the water and certainly can't make out the details if you are by the water or in it.

Please explain what this means-"the beach is not a natural beach"?

The beach has sand, palm and sea grape trees, many palapa's, a waterfront and a (not so comfortable) area to float and swim. It also has many natural sunbathers- sounds like a natural beach to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post

I am concerned about privacy. When you want to swim in Bloody Bay from the a/n side you walk into the water right beside the clothed section of Royalton containing children AND the parade of guests from the RIU properties walking through CN trying to catch a glimpse of the naked people. That may be ok with you but in MY opinion I do not like it.

The kids that you speak of across the river from SSB are usually in school when we are there and you would have to have binoculars to see anything.

I agree that the beaches of Negril are nicer but the beaches in Ocho are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jamaka View Post
    Please explain what this means-"the beach is not a natural beach"?

The beach has sand, palm and sea grape trees, many palapa's, a waterfront and a (not so comfortable) area to float and swim. It also has many natural sunbathers- sounds like a natural beach to me.
    My understanding was that the beach was man made (i.e. not created by mother nature). Another individual disputes that claim. I will ask in about 2 weeks when I am there.

I see that someone says there are Palapas at SSB - is it first come first serve or do you have to book them in advance?
    The Beachers - Chris and Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by Beachers View Post
    I see that someone says there are Palapas at SSB - is it first come first serve or do you have to book them in advance?
    First come - there are several so finding an open one is usually not a problem - at least during off season.

Even if they are all taken there are many trees and plenty of loungers so finding a shady spot is usually not an issue even late in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    The beach is not huge, but secluded. We never had an issue finding chairs or shade. My wife loves the sun, my pasty white skin, not so much! If there is a certain area you like, get to SSB early.
    Beach shoes are helpful as there are a lot of rocks on the beach and in the water.
    You won't have an issue finding lounge chairs on the beach or by the pool area. I suppose it depends if CSS is full but we never had an issue.

Enjoy!!!

WE love CSS...some of the other guests are a bit sketchy but you learn to like them

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    WE love CSS...some of the other guests are a bit sketchy but you learn to like them
    I resemble that remark or is it resent, meh whatever

Just got back from SSB yesterday and spent 5 days there after spending 8 days at CN.
    We love both places and visit every year.
    About the privacy issue at SSB, there is now traffic (people walking) that comes from across the river and go's to the beach bar that now shares the prude beach at CSS.
    This didn't happen every now and then, but every day. There are +\- for each place. It is more private than CN but the beach doesn't compare. The condition of the beach this last week was really ruff. Each rain brings some wash up of stuff. They had a couple guys each morning raking but with not much purpose. They used milk containers to collect derbies and then put in a dump bucket. This is the first time we didn't go swimming. It is more gravel and rocks than sand.
    CN has the best beach but is somewhat of a after thought for attention. It is cleaned and raked every morning and is beautiful. But it is not as private. This is the slow season and they had 11-16 couples. When we were there in July there was 30-36 couples. We had to drag chairs from the regular beach. The privacy issue for my wife and I has got to where it doesn't matter. We just enjoy. The area is much smaller, with just a bar and hot tub.
    CSS does cater to the a/n group and the attendance is always much higher to the prude side. On average there last week was 25-30 couples with a great pool, swim up bar and daily lunch set up.
    Regardless it is all good.

Name:  ssb.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  9.5 KB

SSB in 1972 before it was part of the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    You'll never know who you'll meet, especially on the happy bus.....hope to see you in January Buddy!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast