Default new to couples. 1st trip which resort

first off, this board is a wonderful wealth of info. I'm trying to surprise my wife for a quick 4 day trip. With that being said we have never been to couples. We have been to jamaica twice before and have stayed at 1 adult AI in Montego Bay with a private beach/peninsula and at a family resort that neighbors a couples resort in Negril. We have been to other AI also in Mexico and DR. My question is sort of complicated.
    1. we preferred the beach and ocean better in Negril as it was not Rocky and hurtful on the feet.
    2. we have mentioned trying A/N before but it was not the correct time as we were traveling with either kids, family or weddings.
    3. we are a mix of water/snorkling/lounge people but not overly party types. we are both mid 30's with kids in the high school range.
    4. we love beach and sunsets
    5. the a/N is not mandatory, but when in rome......
    Which of the couples resorts would be the best fit? I'm getting so confused. I'm sooooo confused reading reviews with out pics to pit it into perspective. Thanks in advance

You have two choices, CSA or CN, since sunsets and the beach seem to be priorities. I'd recommend CSA with a day trip to CN to do the AN beach.

CN....

The only resort that fit's the bill for your requirements is Couples Negril. The beaches at Sans Souci and Tower Island are rocky and you don't get the sunsets like you do in Negril and Swept Away doesn't offer the option of a nude section.
    If you do chose Couples Negril then my only piece of advice is the same one everyone else who uses A/N beaches will give you. Try it on the first day, if you don't like it then fine at least you tried. If you do like it then you have figured that out early in your trip and can enjoy it for the duration.

Welcome to Couples

First off, there is no wrong choice. Each Couples resort is similar but different. They are not cookie cutter resorts like you may find with other resort chains. They are similar in that you will find similar quality in the staff, the facilities, the rooms, the entertainment, the quality of the food, the quality of the drinks, etc. But each resort is a little different and will have its own vibe.

But looking at your list it steers me towards the Swept Away or Couples Negril in Negril. We have been to Swept Away a few times and to Couples Negril for one day using the Couples Trading Places program.

Both resorts have spectacular sunsets and nice beaches. Swept Away has one of the nicest beaches in Jamaica. Either beach you can take some long walks. You already know what the beach looks like at Couples Negril. Long Bay Beach by Couples Swept Away is much longer and will have more shops, bars, and restaurants.

Either resort has Spectacular sunsets. Depending upon the time of year Swept Away would be better. At Couples Negril during the winter months the sun will set over the point looking to your left, the rest of the year the sun will set over the water of Bloody Bay. Sunsets at Swept Away are not obstructed by any land mass at any time of the year.

AN. Swept Away does not have any AN section. Topless only on the beach area. In general you won't find many topless on the beach at any given time. Couples Negril has a dedicated AN section. However, be aware that this is not a clothing optional or topless area. You are expected to get completely naked if you want to stay in this area. If you don't get completely naked security may ask you to leave the area. One other thing about the AN section. You can't get too frisky in this area. Couples isn't that kind of resort. Get to frisky on anyplace other than your room and you may get asked to leave the resort. No refund either, OUCH.

The rest of the items will be common with either resort. The nightlife and entertainment will be similar. Snorkeling is one of our favorite activities also. Snorkeling will be nearly the same at either resort as they will both take you to many of the same locations.

A few other activities to consider. I highly recommend the Catamaran Cruise. Lots of fun. You must have a boarding pass to get on. Go to Guest Services to sign up.

We also like the Beach Bonfire. Cuddled up on the beach in front of a bonfire listening to soft romantic music. Maybe a little slow dancing. The last few trips they had Shyam Moses. Very talented.

As I said, the good thing is that there really isn't a wrong choice. A suggestion. Look closely at the Couples main website. You can also try Youtube to see some official and unofficial videos of the resorts. Just search Couples Swept Away or Couples Negril. You can also use a similar Google search and select "Images" to see lots of official and unofficial pictures of the resorts. After looking at the website, videos, and pictures one resort will call to you more than the others. Pick that resort and don't look back.

Enjoy your stay in paradise

Planning our next trip to Couples soon. Leaning towards one resort but not set in stone yet. We will likely book when the direct flights between our departure city and Montego Bay are announced which could happen any day.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

Sounds pretty simple. Couples Negril - It has the beach you want, great sunsets, and it has AN. Swept Away has everything but the AN option.

Negril based on your preferences for the beach. CN for the option to try AN. CN doesn't really have a huge night life and the beach is quieter on Bloddy Bay than it is on Long Bay(CSA).

Easy. You prefer Negril, so either Couples Negril or Couples Swept Away. You are interested in the au naturel experience, so your choice is Couples Negril. CSA does not have the A/N area.

Quote Originally Posted by ski070880 View Post
    ...both mid 30's with kids in the high school range.
    Wow!

Couples Negril is your only choice based on you requirements. We have been to all 4 and CN is our favorite by far. Our 10th visit is booked for next winter.

1. Only two Couples resorts at in Negril: CN and CSA.
    2. CN is the only Couples resort in Negril with A/N
    3. All Couples resorts have great water/snorkeling/lounge
    4. The sunsets in Negril are far better. The sun set behind the building at CTI.
    5. CN is the only Couples resort in Negril with A/N

The beach at CSA is much longer but very shallow compared to CN. They both have about the same area, because CN's is very deep. CN has all the restaurants, shops and activities centralized, with the rooms at each end. The rooms at CSA are much closer to the water, with just a little room for beach in between. CN has more trees on the beach, and they are back a ways from the water. The rooms are set back. CSA has restaurants at each end, a long walk apart.
    <font size=2>
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015, CN 2016, CN 2018, CN2019

Couples Negril would be the resort for you. It meets all the criteria you listed.

CN is by far our favorite. Customer service here is top notch! We just spent 7 days at Negril and 7 days at Ocho Rios (CSS) in June. If we could do it all over; we would have spent all 14 days in Negril. CN Beach, ocean access, and customer service cannot be beat!

Quote Originally Posted by ski070880 View Post
    first off, this board is a wonderful wealth of info. I'm trying to surprise my wife for a quick 4 day trip. With that being said we have never been to couples. We have been to jamaica twice before and have stayed at 1 adult AI in Montego Bay with a private beach/peninsula and at a family resort that neighbors a couples resort in Negril. We have been to other AI also in Mexico and DR. My question is sort of complicated.
    1. we preferred the beach and ocean better in Negril as it was not Rocky and hurtful on the feet.
    2. we have mentioned trying A/N before but it was not the correct time as we were traveling with either kids, family or weddings.
    3. we are a mix of water/snorkling/lounge people but not overly party types. we are both mid 30's with kids in the high school range.
    4. we love beach and sunsets
    5. the a/N is not mandatory, but when in rome......
    Which of the couples resorts would be the best fit? I'm getting so confused. I'm sooooo confused reading reviews with out pics to pit it into perspective. Thanks in advance
    1. The beaches in Negril are VERY nice but the beaches in Ocho are nice also, they are sand and not rocky like Europe. They have trees for shade and plenty of sand and are Private (nobody walking by and asking you for things all day)
    2. The a/n at CN is very open to everyone else at the resort if you want to get into the water, CSS but it has the best a/n and great privacy for beginners
    3. Great watersports at all, CN in our opinion was more of the party resort due to the layout, the main pool can get a little loud during the day
    4. Sunsets are better in Negril but CSS has a great Sunset and a Sunset celebration every evening with sax music to serenade you
    5. a/n is much more private at CTI and CSS.

My only concern is that 4 nights is tight, you have 2 full days of travel. If you arrive at airport at 11:00 you are probably going to be in your room at 3:00 ish or later. You have to go through immigration, then baggage check then customs then to the lounge to get transportation then 1.5 to 2.5 hours of transportation to the resort and then check in. The day that you travel home they make you leave 4 or 5 hours before your flight. At the very least get early arrival and late departure at MBJ Airport