Default Live from CN: April 2017 edition!

Home again! Red Stripe at the MoBay Couples lounge before 9:00 a.m. (good travel day ). Cocktail in hand at pool bar at 11:02 a.m. (a new personal record).

The first Red Stripe is a shout out to Boston Walt.

Sooooo jealous! And so lucky to arrive by 11:02...wow, nice! Have a great time. Hope to hear all about your week, and the new hotel!!!! enjoy!

As usual for this thread, I get too caught up in my day to post.

For those wondering, I have noticed ZERO impact on the CN beach due to changes just south of CN. Sure, the optics are different, but such is life.

Earlier today I was enjoying a Red Stripe while standing out in Bloody Bay, listening to Donnavon playing off in the distance. It was a perfect moment.

"Music is life" - spoken tonight (and proven) by Donnavon Dalrymple. This man is a CN treasure. Someday when we talk about "the good old days" at CN, it's right now. Don't miss Donnavon. We are fortunate to see him 3 more nights this trip (and daily on the beach).
    Last edited by Bert; April 26th, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

Was that cheeseburger I just had really necessary? (rhetorical question...of course it was). One more sleep before my next dirty banana.

I have really enjoyed spending time with friends old and new (names withheld to protect the innocent). Today I connected with Dennis the hat man and got my hat (sun protection).

Bucket list: play music with Donnavon Dalrymple. That happened this morning (video to come). Donnavon is a generous and kind musician and friend.

There was a fun moment when an old friend called out "LINDA!" and she was (understandably) startled. Great to cross paths again.

More to come...

Bonus day!

I woke up this morning and thought "not a bad way to spend a Monday". Then I looked at my phone and realized that it's Sunday. Yah mon!

8 more sleeps. Keep the trip report coming please!! I am salivating for a Red Stripe and Donnavon jams!
    Love the wording "just south". ENJOY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post

For those wondering, I have noticed ZERO impact on the CN beach due to changes just south of CN. Sure, the optics are different, but such is life.

Earlier today I was enjoying a Red Stripe while standing out in Bloody Bay, listening to Donnavon playing off in the distance. It was a perfect moment.

Thanks very much for the updates Bert! I'm enjoying very much. Enjoy your stay.

Today is our last full day, home tomorrow. It's been great!

One observation: don't put too much faith in the weather forecast. I was getting nervous because the forecast coming in was 80-100% chance of rain for 5 straight days. We had some cloudy days (still got sun burn) and a 2 hour rain one afternoon, but otherwise perfect weather.
    Last edited by Bert; April 26th, 2017 at 11:41 AM.

Running

I did the CN>CSA round trip 3 times this week, running on the road. Heading south toward CSA, the shoulder just south of CN is a mess from construction. It forced me to run on the road for about 100 feet. But there is a paving machine and steamroller there, so I suspect it will be repaired soon. There is more construction south, but not bad. On the way back, the shoulder on the northbound side is wide and clear. If you want to lengthen your run a little to get closer to 5 miles, continue north past CN, then when you get to the "sunset" resort, there is a beach access on the left. Go to the beach and head back to CN.

I find the road run to be safe. Though I was startled this morning when a car stopped short and the car following had to screach to a stop. In a panic I was diving toward the weeds.

Up at CSA, there is a nice sidewalk (on the northbound side) for walking/jogging/biking that goes all the way through downtown Negril. A security officer told me that the plan next year is to extend the sidewalk past all of the Bloody Bay resorts. That will be nice (but when I hear "next year" I factor in Jamaican time...so it could be a few years from now).

Yes! The weather report for next week shows thunderstorms and rain for the week. Glad to hear it was good weather!!! I talked with one of my friends who is a bartender there yesterday and he said "no worries mon, liquid sunshine is o.k." LOL!
    Safe travels home and glad you had a great time (how can you not right?)

Today is our last full day, home tomorrow. It's been great!

One observation: don't put too much faith in the weather forecast. I was getting nervous because the forecast coming in was 80-100% chance of rain for 5 straight days. We had some cloudy days (still got sun burn) and a 2 hour rain one afternoon, but otherwise perfect weather.

I really hope your good attitude and well wishes for the weather holds true. I am definitely nervous looking at the reports of thunderstorms every single day we will be there the 5th -14th. Argh! Please say it won't be so!!!

Bert,

We were at CN April 13-20 and I agree that there was no direct impact from neighbors to the south. Did notice a few families passing through but it's a public beach and we also take walks along the beach past another resort, so no problem at all. The thing that did bother me was the jackholes driving the speed boat pulling that ski tube thing that can hold four people. All day long, back and forth, way closer to the rope than they needed to be. I sort of got the idea that they were intentionally harassing Couples guests, and left me wondering whether they had some kind of conflict with Couples management. Made it difficult to enjoy a relaxing time on the floatie out by the rope. Darn near as annoying as the jet skis that thankfully have been banned. From what I could tell they were getting almost all of their business from the south (screaming teenagers, etc.). Luckily, it had no impact on the alcohol supply, so I managed to survive.

We are at Club MoBay now. Not needing to be on the shuttle until 1:15, we had breakfast then went for a couples massage at 9:30. That left lots of time to shower, finish packing, say goodbye to friends and have a few cocktails at the Beach Bar while we completed a comment card.

A highlight this morning was getting Donnavon Dalrymple's Vol. 4 disc. He personalized it "to a true friend". That's pretty special to me...I value his friendship.

I will try to update over the next few days with some photos and videos. (and now it's time to start planning December...that is a hint for Linda )

AWESOME!!!!! Nov trip done and payed!!! So happy all was great for you

Bert.... what's a dirty banana. I'm guessing a drink but tell me more 😁

Hi. Question. Casanova has a strict dress code I see. No open toed shoes correct? However I have seen pictures of women wearing open toed shoes and sandals for dinner there. So my question is can I wear dressy open toed shoes or sandals?

Quote Originally Posted by Angeleyes View Post
    Bert.... what's a dirty banana. I'm guessing a drink but tell me more ��
    Dirty Banana is a frozen blender drink...a great 10:00 a.m. drink.
    -banana
    -cream
    -clear syrup (simple syrup)
    -coffee liqueur
    -add ice & blend to a smooth drink, almost like a milkshake.
    If we are going to get all of those calories, my wife & l like to get a little more "bang for the buck" and ask them to float some over-proof rum on top (our name for that is Filthy Banana ).

I think when I was last there they called it a hummingbird. Either way I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daustin View Post
    I think when I was last there they called it a hummingbird. Either way I loved it.
    Hummingbird
    -rum cream
    -coffee liqueur
    -banana
    -milk
    -strawberry syrup
    -and I am assuming add ice and blend to be like a milkshake
    Slightly different than the Dirty Banana, but I suspect equally as delicious!

A bucket list moment: playing on the beach with Donnavon Dalrymple.

video link

Thanks for sharing. Love the video of Donovan. He is one of our favorite things about CN . We purchased three of his CD's last summer and I love listening to them. They are great comfort when I miss Ja. What nights does he currently have at the piano bar? We alyays plan dinner around his performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    What nights does he currently have at the piano bar?
    My recollection is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday...but I could be mistaken.

Dirty Banana is a frozen blender drink...a great 10:00 a.m. drink.
    -banana
    -cream
    -clear syrup (simple syrup)
    -coffee liqueur
    -add ice & blend to a smooth drink, almost like a milkshake.
    If we are going to get all of those calories, my wife & l like to get a little more "bang for the buck" and ask them to float some over-proof rum on top (our name for that is Filthy Banana ).
    Thank you it's on my list to try next week when we arrive!