Default FOOD at Sans Souci

Husband and I will be going to Sans Souci in a week I just checked out trip adviser been reading some really bad reviews about the food cold slow service supposedly these are from people who've been to the resort a few times hopefully they're just cranky people I don't expect five stars but I hope I'm not getting slow service and cold and just average kind of food

I have always enjoyed the food at CSS, and yes, it can be delivered slowly and I would consider that proper...dinner with our mates shouldn't be a race. I think that food comes to the table at a rate proper for a 4 (or 5) course meal.

Go, relax and enjoy...and some of the best mid-day meals are served at Sunset Beach, but there is a strict dress code.

While I can't speak for San Souci, I've been to CN 8 times and probably had slow service 2-3 times and a meal that was less than average. I'm not saying they are all fantastic, that part is a matter of opinion. All my meals were good and hot. I usually don't put much faith in Trip Advisor, as they all seem to be negative reviews, and those writing them can't be pleased no matter what. Just my opinion.......
    Enjoy your trip!

Duane & Mary

In all the times I have been to San Souci I have never experienced cold food and the service has always been top notch.

We have never had an issue with cold food. Sometimes service seems slow but if you take the opportunity, it really just allows you to enjoy a relaxing meal. I'd say the complainers are just overly picky people.

In multiple trips to San Souci, we have found that the only time the service seems slow is when we have not yet adjusted to "Jamaica time, Mon!" We have also have never run into cold food...we have never suffered from hunger while at San Souci. Can they have an "off" day/night? Of course! Can guests be hard to please? Definitely! We have always found good service and great food....we have never gone to Jamaica expecting absolute perfection as that can just set you up to experience disappointment.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

If you expect US fine dining service or cruise ship dining service then you went to the wrong place. Sure, service in Jamaica is a little slow compared to some other places but where else do you have to be?

If you do not like the food, just get up and go to another restaurant.

I like Gatekeeper's advice, the best meal is at SSB

Quote Originally Posted by kurt and Angie View Post
    We have never had an issue with cold food. Sometimes service seems slow but if you take the opportunity, it really just allows you to enjoy a relaxing meal. I'd say the complainers are just overly picky people.
    I believe I am one of the people the OP is referring to (Artie1 on Trip Advisor). We have been to CSS 8 times now, and this past trip, the food and service at the Casanova was below the quality we have experienced in the past. You can check my previous Trip Advisor reviews on the resort, all glowing, but this time there was a definite drop in the quality at this one restaurant. As I mentioned in my review, both the Bella Vista and Palazzina were excellent as usual, which is why we cancelled our third night at Casanova. I am never in a rush to eat, but I do expect my dinner to be presented hot. Both nights at the Casanova, while the main entree was hot, the sides (sweet potato au gratin and vegetable) were luke warm. Not what it has been in the past.
    Last edited by Artie; April 11th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.

Artie,
    I appreciate your comments and I should have added a qualifier of "sometimes" to my comments between are and just. Broad generalizations are not appropriate, so I need to apologize.

Sorry that the service at Casanova was not up to your expectations. Hopefully as someone above said, this was just an off night or a couple off nights. On our last trip we were among the last diners at Casanova one night and even at that point in the evening the food was excellent.

Artie,
    I appreciate your comments and I should have added a qualifier of "sometimes" to my comments between are and just. Broad generalizations are not appropriate, so I need to apologize.

Sorry that the service at Casanova was not up to your expectations. Hopefully as someone above said, this was just an off night or a couple off nights. On our last trip we were among the last diners at Casanova one night and even at that point in the evening the food was excellent.
    No worries Mon!!

Artie,

I apologize also, some weeks, things do not work as well as they should. That is a reason that we like to move around to different resorts. If we find one that we like we do frequent more often but things do get old after many visits. Currently, CTI is our favorite for several reasons.

We have been to CSS 5 times, and despite my last TA review (AlisonP Eastbourne) we have rebooked for next year. I am not a cranky person, I am a trained hotel manager with over 10 years in the industry and a qualified cordon bleu cook. We have never experienced cold food but on this last trip the service was slow and a bit hit and miss..... I was brought up in West Africa so I get the relaxed vibe!! It it important to note we could not fault the servers who kept us topped up with wine and kept apologising even though the fault was with the kitchen rather than them. I hope everything will be irie for your visit as I'm sure it will be for us next February.

We visited CSS in February. This was our second trip to CSS, with many trips to CSA in between. During a 7 night stay at CSS this time, we had one meal that we were a little bit disappointed with. On our first visit to Casanova, the service and food were both excellent. On the second visit, the timing was so slow, the waiter even apologized to us (without us asking what the problem was) and said that they were having trouble in the kitchen. It wasn't a big deal, really. For an all inclusive, I think the food at CSS is very good.

Last month, March 11-18, we had our 5th trip to CSS (10th to Couples). We can honestly say that the food this past trip, as wonderful as it was, was not without some issue. Unfortunately, it can happen!

On two of the mornings, the bacon was cold on the buffet. I did go first thing in the morning, shortly after the buffet opened, however I was very surprised as I had not experienced this before at CSS. It wasn't that the bacon was just lukewarm, it was actually "cold". It caused me to wonder if they cook the bacon in advance, freeze/refrigerate, and then thaw it?

Another issue we had was at two lunches at the Beach Bar (which is Bella Vista in the evening). The jerk chicken was cold one day, and the next day, we experienced the same cold chicken and I even had a piece that was raw. It seemed the kitchen had issues with preparing both the jerk chicken and the sides (fries, onion rings, salad) so everything was timed to be ready at the same time (and cooked properly). Both days, we saw the chicken sit under the "warmer" for at least 10 minutes before it was brought over. Given the temperature of the chicken when we received it, it made us wonder if the warmer was turned on, or was even working? We were somewhat surprised that none of the servers who were standing around waiting, thought that the chicken sitting out for that long wasn't a concern. We were thankful none of our group of four was ill because of it, but the result was that two out of our six lunches during our trip were disappointing. Both days at the Beach Bar, we didn't see a supervisor or team leader around to guide or help, so perhaps they were short on staff for a few days or had new staff turnover. Due to our previous vacations, we realized this was atypical of CSS, but we were admittedly put-off and didn't return to that restaurant during the rest of our stay. It was disappointing for a resort the calibre of CSS!

Food when we were there was great. The quality of the food was great and fresh. As many people stated Jamaican time but the food always being warm. But really I would qualify it as fine European restaurant pace. Cruise ships pace is fast since they have 2-3 more sittings that night so they try to get you out quickly. And people get to use to "quick" meals. Some of our most favorite restaurants at home are European style which the meal can take hour or hour and half. It's because it's made fresh to order. Takes time to cook the food. If you are needing quicker meal, look at the beach grill, etc. But the finer restaurants can take longer to eat a great meal. But just time it to give yourself an hour for dinner, then you can go watch the live music outside of the Balloon Bar. Relax, have fun. The food is great, the alcohol is great. Expect take time for dinner. Lunches are much quicker (love Gatekeepers comment on strict dress code for Sunset Beach Grill. It's where we had lunch many times). Just enjoy. Irie mon, irie.
    Jason (mbjnt) and Heather (hetoepfer82)
    Sans Souci 2016, (July 2017)