Default Wine into Jamaica

My husband and I are big wine drinkers and we have heard the selection is not that good at CSA anymore, where we head for our 3rd trip in September. What about bringing wine into Jamaica? How much can we bring (customs site says 2L/person, but can it be in same package)? How does CSA feel about this? Has anyone done this before or have experience with this? We get wine shipped all the time so will have packing materials to do it with...we just want to make sure it doesn't get confiscated or "misplaced" once in the country. 192 days and counting!!!

We have brought 3-4 bottles of wine a couple of times with no problems thru airport and customs. We go to CSS, but I assume CSA is the same;u I bring the bottle to the resturant with me, or drop it off with the staff in the late afternoon. We have never had a problem with having it served that evening, in fact the waitstaff enjoys it as a novelty and a quick wine discussion. If you bring white wine, and want it chilled, drop it off early, maybe at lunch; We have done this a few times.

Finally, Couples does have better quality wine for sale. Typically, $25-60 dollars per bottle, but they do have pricier wines too. The better quality champagne they charge for is good too. We use some of our resort points each trip, but usually have a check out charge of $20-$100 to pay for the wine not covered by resort credits. Ask the server to see the wine list. Oh, CSS does a wine tasting one afternoon, so you can sample some of the mid range bottles on the menu; i think it's on Monday. Also, a rum tasting too, Later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by MCYoung View Post
    My husband and I are big wine drinkers and we have heard the selection is not that good at CSA anymore, where we head for our 3rd trip in September. What about bringing wine into Jamaica? How much can we bring (customs site says 2L/person, but can it be in same package)? How does CSA feel about this? Has anyone done this before or have experience with this? We get wine shipped all the time so will have packing materials to do it with...we just want to make sure it doesn't get confiscated or "misplaced" once in the country. 192 days and counting!!!
    We've brought wine to CSS a few times, we did bring 2 bottles each, there were no issues bringing it to dinner, breakfast they may ask questions! Lol.

We have packed wine to CN before. Not a problem (I think the most I brought was 2x750mL). It has been suggested in the past that you can likely buy some wine upon arrival at MoBay (I think there is a small duty free shop just after Customs...or is it Immigration?). I have NOT done the duty free upon entering MoBay, but may try next month.

Bert - if you try it next month let me know how the selection and prices are!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnsue View Post
    Couples does have better quality wine for sale. Typically, $25-60 dollars per bottle, but they do have pricier wines too. The better quality champagne they charge for is good too. We use some of our resort points each trip, but usually have a check out charge of $20-$100 to pay for the wine not covered by resort credits. Ask the server to see the wine list.
    Any idea what the wines were? Is there a place to get a picture of this list?

Quote Originally Posted by MCYoung View Post
    Any idea what the wines were? Is there a place to get a picture of this list?
    I think the first pic is CSS Dec. 2014 (sorry, we drink red, so that's all I got), the second is CSA June 2015. Hopefully you can read the prices. A little out of date, but it should give you a general idea of what the manager's wine list looks like.

Name:  Wine CSS DEC 2015.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  Wine CSA June 2015.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  91.7 KB

Bert - This is great! Thank you so much for this post!

So no issues bringing your own bottle of wine to dinner at say Feathers ? Even though they have a premium wine list you can purchase from ?? If we can bring our own it would be a great enhancement as Iíve got a nice cellar and would like to bring some decent reds

Quote Originally Posted by Birdyman View Post
    So no issues bringing your own bottle of wine to dinner at say Feathers ? Even though they have a premium wine list you can purchase from ?? If we can bring our own it would be a great enhancement as Iíve got a nice cellar and would like to bring some decent reds
    Yes, you are allowed to bring your own to the restaurant. Also, several people have said they purchase wine from duty free at the airport so they do not have to carry it in their luggage. I have never done it so I am not sure how that works exactly, but it is something to consider.

No issues, Birdyman. They will even chill for you if you bring it earlier in the day.

Michelle, can you please post the current list of house wines and also the managers select list for Negril?