Default Swollen feet......

Last year after flying or maybe it was the heat and humidity my pretty feet got so fat and pudgy I couldn't wear any of my pretty shoes. Does this happen to anyone else? What can be done to avoid this?? I don't want fat feet to hinder our vacation this year! Please help!!

Buy bigger shoes?

I too have experienced this problem. I try to drink lots of water with lemon, keep my feet elevated when possible, and eat loads of fruits and vegetables. I enjoy the wine, beer and martinis....but drink at least two glasses of water per drink. This helps loads.

I have had this problem with going to Florida each year and spending every day bare footed on the beach and have wondered the same thing. My wife does not have the problem. Will be interested to see if anyone offers any suggestions on what causes this and how to avoid it. Of course my problem isn't pretty feet and pretty shoes just fat feet.

Happened to me on the way back home last year, shocking to look at my feet and ankles but went away after a few days. If it had gone any longer I would have gone to the Dr. I do believe I wasn't up much on the plane that trip but will be more active next fight in a few months back to CN.
    Maybe compression socks would/would have helped?

Try flight socks instead of socks if you wear trainers/sneakers when flying. Avoid additional salt in the food whilst in the resort, I do not cook with salt and found my feet and hands swelled up after meals. Now I ask for no added salt at the cooking stations and the last 2 years, no swollen feet or hands! Oh, and plenty of water whilst travelling. Hope this helps.

While I'm not a woman, my feet and legs swell by mid week. Could be water retention, I don't sweat much while there. Not sure what to do, maybe I should double up on my water pills.

Duane & Mary

That happened to both my wife and I last year.
    We had our doctor prescribe pills to counter act that. We didn't need them this year but had them incase.
    Speak to you doctor.

Jack

How long was the flight? Sitting for prolonged periods (hours and hours) can restrict blood flow in the legs. Blood comes in (higher pressure in the arteries) but can't leave (low pressure in the veins, easily compressed). So this causes swelling. Try to get up and walk a bit in the aisle every hour or so. DEFINITELY walk in the airport, don't sit waiting for the flight for an hour! Walking is better than standing because the muscular action of walking helps with circulation.

A more serious possibility (not for you since this was a year ago), is a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This is when the blood flow gets so sluggish that it clots. This prevents blood from leaving the leg and can also cause swelling (and sometimes pain). But the clot can break off and go to the lungs (PE/pulmonary embolism), leading to shortness of breath and possibly death. It is VERY serious and underrecognized! I saw it a few times when I worked in Hawaii, tourists would fly out and barely move in the plane for 10 hours! Plus they get dehydrated from the dry plane air and wouldn't drink because they didn't want to have to go to the bathroom. All this contributes to a DVT and then a PE.

Anyway, not to scare anyone, but please don't stay seated for a 6+ hour flight (or car ride). Get up and move around a bit, or at least stretch your legs and tap your feet. Stay hydrated if you can. If you get short of breath after a flight, or have leg swelling (especially in only one leg), PLEASE see a doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by Angeleyes View Post
    Last year after flying or maybe it was the heat and humidity my pretty feet got so fat and pudgy I couldn't wear any of my pretty shoes. Does this happen to anyone else? What can be done to avoid this?? I don't want fat feet to hinder our vacation this year! Please help!!
    Try elevating your feet and drink a glass of water in between each alcoholic drink. That may help and/or take a diaretic (sp).

could be sand flies biting if they were itchy and red also, happened to me last year but did not affect me wearing pretty shoes

My husband and I have been to Jamaica 19 times, and neither of us has experienced anything like this. I suggest talking to your doctor about it.

It happened to me on our first visit....could not wear my cute sandals, LOL. Now, I make sure to drink plenty of water in between alcohol drinks. Have not had a problem since.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

I think this phenomenon may have something to do with consuming way more salt than your body is used to. I don't think Couples necessarily over-salts their food but I think that it's safe to say most of us consume way more food than we normally do when at Couples henceforth we are consuming way more salt than normal.

Thank you everyone! Salt more than likely I big factor since I had two boost Mary's on the plane and those stocked on the plane are loaded down with sodium. Also not a big water drinker. However I am working on that! Lol. Thanks again.

How long was the flight? Sitting for prolonged periods (hours and hours) can restrict blood flow in the legs. Blood comes in (higher pressure in the arteries) but can't leave (low pressure in the veins, easily compressed). So this causes swelling. Try to get up and walk a bit in the aisle every hour or so.

Angel,

I think Jason is correct here. Years ago I had the misfortune of riding a Greyhound bus from Ft. Jackson, SC, to Indianapolis, IN, courtesy of a rich uncle. As I recall, the thing only stopped once along the way. For about a week my feet were so swollen that I could barely get my boots on, and definitely couldn't tie them. I was 19 years old and in very good health. Bottom line is I don't think your problem is too much salt, too much alcohol, or too much water. Now I must offer this disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television. Heck, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately. Just sharing my own experience. Besides, I DON'T WANT YOU TRYING TO SCALE THE WALL UP TO YOUR BALCONY WITH SWOLLEN FEET! And thanks for having a sense of humor!!!
    Last edited by Gin Mon; March 17th, 2017 at 02:08 PM.

Default Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Mon View Post
    How long was the flight? Sitting for prolonged periods (hours and hours) can restrict blood flow in the legs. Blood comes in (higher pressure in the arteries) but can't leave (low pressure in the veins, easily compressed). So this causes swelling. Try to get up and walk a bit in the aisle every hour or so.

Angel,

I think Jason is correct here. Years ago I had the misfortune of riding a Greyhound bus from Ft. Jackson, SC, to Indianapolis, IN, courtesy of a rich uncle. As I recall, the thing only stopped once along the way. For about a week my feet were so swollen that I could barely get my boots on, and definitely couldn't tie them. I was 19 years old and in very good health. Bottom line is I don't think your problem is too much salt, too much alcohol, or too much water. Now I must offer this disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television. Heck, I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately. Just sharing my own experience. Besides, I DON'T WANT YOU TRYING TO SCALE THE WALL UP TO YOUR BALCONY WITH SWOLLEN FEET! And thanks for having a sense of humor!!!
    Thank you and what is life with out laughter! Thanks for making me smile!

Rotate your ankles and flex your feet regularly on the flight to aid circulation. The best way to bring the swelling down is to raise your feet so your ankles are above your heart. It will drain the fluid.

Excess body heat from the island warmth can cause the blood vessels in your legs and feet to expand, allowing fluids to flow into the surrounding tissues. You may also find your rings get tight as your hands can swell too. Try to elevate your feet above your heart as much as possible when you are able to. Also, you may try rotating your ankles every so often when on the lounger to increase the blood flow. Think of it as ankle aerobics. Foot and leg massages may help a bit if your partner is willing. Even if that doesn't help the swelling it does still feel good! Just remember when you are packing to go to Couples only bring shoes and strapped sandals that fit well or are a bit loose. Women tend to buy shoes that just barely fit but are fashionable. Leave those home!