Thread: credit cards

Default credit cards

Would like to use my Discover Card while in Jamaica is that doable on the couples resort

Yes when we go I always use my discover card at Couples.

As far as I know Couples accepts most major credit cards.

However, I have a suggestion. On a past trip to Couples we had a couple traveling with us have their credit card frozen by their bank because they were seeing so many charges out of the country. Fortunately they had another credit card they could use. On another trip every time we used our credit card our bank noticed these charges from outside the country and would call our house. Our house sitter had to explain to them that we really were in Jamaica and these charges were legitimate. You can't blame the bank because they were really looking out for our best interests.

Since then I contact the bank that that holds our credit card a few days before we leave for Jamaica. They ask for a general itinerary. This way they know that these charges made in Jamaica during the date ranges are legitimate. Never had this problem since.

Enjoy your stay in Paradise.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

On a past trip to Couples we had a couple traveling with us have their credit card frozen by their bank because they were seeing so many charges out of the country. Fortunately they had another credit card they could use. On another trip every time we used our credit card our bank noticed these charges from outside the country and would call our house.

Not sure what credit card you have, but if you notify the credit card company in advance of your departure, you will not have those problems.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

When I called the credit card banks a few days before my trip to "okay" charges from Jamaica, they also asked what other states I might use the card in during the trip (for example the connecting flight location.) They were very thorough.

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015
    CSS - 2017

Most credit card companies also charge an international fee that is normally around 3%. We like to pay cash at the airport to avoid the extra fees. Do call them before traveling.

Life is good

Last time we were there, we had to give the front desk a credit card but it could not be a Discover card, but when we checked out they would take the Discover card. Also Discover does not charge you an exchange rate. We always take the Discover card and notify them about our schedule.

Using Discover card in Jamaica is not very likely. The last time I checked Couples did not take it either.

Like I said earlier I've always used my discover there and never had an issue.
    Have never notified discover that I would be in Jamaica either..

It has been a few years since I have bee there, but I have used my discover card. However, double check on international fees. I usually used my AARP visa, which did not have fees. But I always let my card know when we were traveling.
    Linda