Thread: Return Flight

Default Return Flight

Hi All ~ we have always flown AA to go to Jamaica, but Southwest is now flying and I can save $400 so of course I am going to go with them. But I have never flown international into any of the airports they use. Could you all give me some direction and let me know which of these three are best?
    Midway
    Baltimore
    Orlando
    Which would be the best airport for returning from Jamaica and going through customs, etc. And how are they in handling luggage? Can we check bags or would we be best to carry on?
    Thanks!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We have flown SW from BWI every trip since they began flying to Sangster. It's our flight of choice from the DC area now.
    We have not had any issues with luggage at BWI, but this is a nonstop for us. When we were taking a connecting flight through CLT we often went with only carry on luggage because the
    layover time was just too short to do all that needed to be done (Immigration, wait for and claim luggage, Customs, recheck luggage, go through TSA Security line and sprint to our gate...
    If you layover time is shorter than 75 -90 min at any airport I would consider carry on.

Have a great trip!
    Roy
    Last edited by rhallva; February 16th, 2017 at 05:23 PM.

Wife and I fly Southwest almost exclusively since we earned their Companion Pass. We have never had any issues with them. I can't speak to the customs at the airports you mentioned, but I would like to say that on your return trip you will need to get your boarding passes BEFORE you enter the line to drop your luggage. Also, if you are sure that Southwest is who you want to fly with and are able to book with Rapid Reward points, book early. Any reduction in airfare that is booked with points goes back into your Rapid Rewards account. If you pay with a CC, any reduction in fare will result in a credit to the ticketed person for use for 1 year from the original date of booking. If you have Chase Ultimate Reward points, you can transfer to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account at a 1:1 transfer rate.

A couple of years ago we returned from Jamaica on Southwest into Midway and it was a much better experience than flying back into Ohare (less people) as we try to take the earliest flight out and that is usually from Ohare. However for our trip this coming year we plan on flying both ways from Midway (we live in central Wisconsin). Hope this helps.

Seconded on BWI. Customs is clean , fast efficient. even as a hub, there are many flights from BWI around the country. We've been using BWI since SW started non-stop to Mo-Bay.

We use the airport closest to where we live that has non-stop flights to and from Sangster. Unfortunately, there is no airport that is close. We must drive about 250 miles to Milwaukee WI.

WHy do we like non-stop direct flights only? We generally travel to Jamaica about this time of year, mid February. It would really stink to miss a connecting flight because of a delay during any point of our trip. For example. If we were to fly from Milwaukee to Baltimore to Sangster and our flight left Milwaukee late because of a weather delay, that could cause us to miss more than a day in paradise. BUt if we are flying direct between Milwaukee and Sangster and we take off late, no big deal as long as the flight isn't completely cancelled. This is why we don't want to mess around with connecting flights, even if it costs a little extra money.

Since Milwaukee is about 250 mile away, we also include motel that allows us to keep our car at then motel while we are away. The money we save on parking fees at the airport almost pays for the motel room. The motel has a free shuttle bus to and from the airport.

So my advice is to pick the airport closest to you so you don't need to take a connecting flight, even if you must drive a couple hundred miles.

Enjoy your stay in paradise

Returning to Couples in about a year.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Hi All ~ we have always flown AA to go to Jamaica, but Southwest is now flying and I can save $400 so of course I am going to go with them. But I have never flown international into any of the airports they use. Could you all give me some direction and let me know which of these three are best?
    Midway
    Baltimore
    Orlando
    Which would be the best airport for returning from Jamaica and going through customs, etc. And how are they in handling luggage? Can we check bags or would we be best to carry on?
    Thanks!
    We have flown SW from San Antonio to and from Jamaica returning through Orlando, Baltimore and Houston. Houston is the easiest but none were as bad a Dallas, Atlanta or Miami. 237 days til "We're Livin' on Island Time" Ed & Lynn

We have flown through Midway and it was a zero hassle experience. We were through customs in 10 minutes or so. (we were near front of the plane)

Mad Jack - Wish we had an airport anywhere close that we could get a direct flight. Our closest choice is Chicago and that is close to a 500 mile drive.

we've flown from MBJ to BWI and MCO on Southwest. BWI takes it hands down. leaving the International area, you have to exit, then re-enter thru security again. At Orlando, you have to exit the get in line with 10000000000 parents and their kids coming back from worshiping the mouse. It's a complete zoo.

BWI was completely rebuilt in the past 7 years, good food, fast turnaround thru customs, etc.

Haven't been to Midway.

"At Orlando, you have to exit the get in line with 10000000000 parents and their kids coming back from worshiping the mouse. It's a complete zoo."

They put you back out in the main airport??? EEEK! Other airports have a smaller security area just for folks who are making connections after going through customs. Thanks for pointing that out about Orlando...now we know to stay away from that one.

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015
    CSS - 2017

Mco - awful
    mia - awful
    clt - good
    bwi - good
    fll - ok
    iad - good
    atl- depends

coloradojuli,

thank you so much for the heads up about sw! i recently was only checking united; however, never considered checking sw. we will be saving over $400!

thanks again

michele

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011
    CTI 2017 [50th birthday & 23rd anniversary], 2019 [25th anniversary]

Madjack ~ Wish I could get a direct flight, but I live in Phoenix and there are no direct flights anywhere within a couple hundred miles. I don't even think LA has direct flights and that's a 6.5 hour drive for us. So we just suck it up and have a connection.

Thanks all for the help. Looks like Baltimore is the way to go. Wish they came back through Houston as that splits up the flights a bit nicer and not having to be on a plane for over 4 hours! I hate that!!! But the end justifies the means. 213 days and we are home!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come