Hybrid View

Default Make a Difference - Fun Challenges for Couples Guests

Let's all make a difference in 2017.

If every couple that attends any of the four Couples Resorts brings at least a few items from the list of needed items below, imagine what a difference we could collectively make in the lives of the children of Jamaica during the course of a year. There are many kind and generous people on this message board that already donate items and/or donate to ITF at checkout at the end of their stay, however; an even greater difference could be made if we all worked together and took the time to pack just a few items in our luggage. Synergy: the interaction of elements that when combined produce a total effect that is greater than the sum of the individual elements, contributions...

We aren't sure if it would be against Couples' corporate policy to run a formal challenge like this for the upcoming year but, if it is, we as guests who are on this message board and the Couples Facebook groups, could informally run our own challenge.

There could be many ways we could challenge each other to get involved while at home like: "Skip a restaurant meal and donate to make a difference that's real". (This would involve us dining at home for the skipped meal and then buying items from the list below or donating the money that we would have spent to the ITF on-line or via checkout at the end of your next Couples vacation.)

Love to hear of any other ideas for fun challenges that we could privately or publicly participate in via this MB or FB. If we create a list of fun challenges then we can have fun choosing one or more throughout the year to do to make a donation to help the children of Jamaica.

"Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." - Lao Tzu (Ancient Chinese Philosopher)

Here is the link to the ITF web page Pack to Make a Difference.

http://issatrustfoundation.com/get-i...-a-difference/

Traveling to Couples Resorts soon? You can donate supplies for children through Pack to Make a Difference!

If you prefer to mail items to the foundation, please mail to: Issa Trust Foundation, 2401 8th Street Court SW, Altoona, IA 50009.

If you have questions, please email Diane.Pollard@issatrustfoundation.com

Here is a list of items that are always needed:
    •pens
    •pencils
    •colored pencils
    •crayons
    •markers
    •chalk
    •hand held pencil sharpeners
    •rulers
    •erasers
    •protractors
    •compasses
    •world maps
    •math flash cards
    •word flash cards
    •alphabet flash cards
    •science educational wall charts
    •math educational wall charts
    •dictionaries
    •age appropriate story books
    •colored construction paper
    •glue sticks
    •watercolor paints
    •IPads
    •Laptop computers
    •craft scissors
    •soccer balls
    •netballs/basketballs
    •tennis balls
    •jump ropes
    •Frisbees
    •inflation pumps
    •Band-Aids
    •antibiotic ointment
    •Selsun Blue Shampoo
    •Children’s Tylenol
    •Blood pressure machines
    •Toothbrush
    •Toothpaste
    •Various Music instruments
    •Supplement Iron drops for infants and toddlers

Great ideal

Great thread! The room you use for this list on the way there can be filled with rum and coffee on the way home.

We already have a suitcase packed full of school supplies, love those back to school sales! We love the idea of giving something back.

Jimpat1, I like your way of thinking. The more you pack from the list the more room for rum cream and coffee on the way home to get you through to your next vacation!

Irie, Did you slowly pick up the items over time or did you just go out on a back to school shopping spree in September? Both ways could be a lot of fun.

I am hoping to find a local soccer league to get some good quality gently used soccer balls to take down since they are out of season in our Canadian retail stores. Oftentimes the leagues buy new balls and uniforms each year with their registration money. A set of team shirts or few referee shirts to donate to a Jamaican school would be a fun to add as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sixmooseontheloose View Post
    Jimpat1, I like your way of thinking. The more you pack from the list the more room for rum cream and coffee on the way home to get you through to your next vacation!

Irie, Did you slowly pick up the items over time or did you just go out on a back to school shopping spree in September? Both ways could be a lot of fun.

I am hoping to find a local soccer league to get some good quality gently used soccer balls to take down since they are out of season in our Canadian retail stores. Oftentimes the leagues buy new balls and uniforms each year with their registration money. A set of team shirts or few referee shirts to donate to a Jamaican school would be a fun to add as well.
    We went on a big Saturday shopping blitz, hit Staples, Walmart and the Dollar Store. We had a blast doing it, this will be our third trip and third year donating. Made sure to stop by Sportchek for a soccer ball as well.

This may be a stupid question and I probably missed it somewhere in my quick browse, but is there a place at the resort to take what you bring? We have not been before, but are booked for June 2017. Thank you!

Michelle or Diane Pollard,

Can you please let us know if there is a standing policy for all the resorts regarding the donation of items and who (person/position) or where we are to drop them off to when we arrive?

I usually drop items off at the registration desk

Regarding the questions about leaving school supplies. My husband and I have always given things to people we have met at Swept Away. One time we took things to the front desk and
    they took them for a school in the area. We personally like giving them to people we have met, some of the restaurant people, housekeeping bartenders etc. Whoever you give things to know that they
    will appreciate them.