Default Hurricane Matthew

Praying hard here that this storm bypasses Jamaica from a direct hit. I hope everyone stays safe and we hope to see you on Wednesday (at CSA), as planned.

Stay safe and much love.

Melinda and Jason Tisher

Looking at the Weather Channel website it doesn't look good. They project that Matthew will hit Jamaica as a category 3 storm sometime Monday morning, October 3rd. If the storm keeps on its projected path the Negril side of Jamaica will get hit worse. Stay safe.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...-2016/AL142016
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

I too am praying for Jamaica! I pray the storm dissipates before it hits anything hard!! Praying for no injuries to anyone and no damage to anything!
    We are scheduled to arrive @ CN on 10/12!
    Stay safe everyone!

Possibly it's changed. I see Negril outside of the forecast cone, at the moment. Let's hope this thing fizzles out.Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3570
Size:  36.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TSox View Post
    Possibly it's changed. I see Negril outside of the forecast cone, at the moment. Let's hope this thing fizzles out.Name:  Capture.JPG
    The cone is a projection of where the hurricane strength winds will likely be felt the most. Tropical storm, storm surge, mudslides and flooding are still concerns even outside of the cone. Unnecessary travel should be reconsidered at this time. This hurricane is not going to fizzle out. It is likely to intensify and become worse before that happens. A hurricane warning will be issued for Jamaica shortly. Everyone should heed this. It is a very dangerous situation for all guests and staff.

Outside of the obvious effects of the storm, everybody needs to take into account damage to infrastructure that prevents guests from leaving the island and going home post hurricane.

I wish I were wrong. I wish NOAA was wrong. I wish this thing would just dissipate. I wish I could fly out on Sunday and have the vacation I have been dreaming of. But at this point the best we can wish for is that our Jamaican friends and family, and all travelers to the island are safe and that damage is minimal.

+

I guess I am not understanding. Couples Policy states "Couples Resorts utilizes the official website of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (www.noaa.gov), to determine projected path and strength probabilities. If a storm has been declared a hurricane and the resorts/destination appear within the "Cone of Influence" on the 3-Day Tracking Map, the following policies and procedures will apply." Mathew has in fact been declared a hurricane, and the resort is in the Cone of Influence on NOAA's 3-day tracking map, why no declaration of Hurricane Policy by Couples??

most models I have seen have Negril either out of the cone or on the very edge

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    Looking at the Weather Channel website it doesn't look good. They project that Matthew will hit Jamaica as a category 3 storm sometime Monday morning, October 3rd. If the storm keeps on its projected path the Negril side of Jamaica will get hit worse. Stay safe.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...-2016/AL142016
    I've been reading that the eastern side of a storm is the strongest. Let's hope so it tracks east and give the brunt to the water between Jamaica and Haiti. http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D6.html

For all our friends at Couples!!! Take care and be safe!!! We will be praying HARD for the storm to turn east. We over here in Louisiana know that these storms are gonna do what they wanna do. I know this is nothing new to Jamaica either, we just care so much for all our friends and (family) from Jamaica.

Much Love

This looks more problematic the closer it gets. Makes me ill for the people of Jamaica, and you poor folks who have waited so patiently for "your day", as we all do. Very unlikely being outside the cone will matter- this storm is currently 3 to 4 times the size of the entire island. Unless something very odd happens, not much of a chance that any place on the island wont be heavily impacted. Hope for the best-plan for the worst. mike

Praying for Jamaica. One love.

Unfortunately, people commonly tend to misunderstand what this graphic represents. They tend to think that this shows the area that will be affected by the hurricane, and that the dots represent where the hurricane itself will be. That's not accurate. These cones show the range of areas where the eye of the hurricane may be at a given point in time.. The actual eye is predicted to be anywhere in the area covered by the cone, so it could be in the center, on the far left, the far right, or anywhere in between. to the left, it will certainly slam Negril. If it's the the right, perhaps it will miss most of Jamaica entirely.

The only thing this probability cone shows is that the eye of the hurricane could be anywhere in the red area when it passes Jamaica's latitude, unfortunately. If it winds up on the far right, Haiti will get a direct hit. Anywhere left of center and Jamaica will get a direct hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zukini View Post
    Unfortunately, people commonly tend to misunderstand what this graphic represents. They tend to think that this shows the area that will be affected by the hurricane, and that the dots represent where the hurricane itself will be. That's not accurate. These cones show the range of areas where the eye of the hurricane may be at a given point in time.. The actual eye is predicted to be anywhere in the area covered by the cone, so it could be in the center, on the far left, the far right, or anywhere in between. to the left, it will certainly slam Negril. If it's the the right, perhaps it will miss most of Jamaica entirely.

The only thing this probability cone shows is that the eye of the hurricane could be anywhere in the red area when it passes Jamaica's latitude, unfortunately. If it winds up on the far right, Haiti will get a direct hit. Anywhere left of center and Jamaica will get a direct hit.

Exactly- it is my understanding that the cone represents 2/3's of historical date over a 5 yr history of each individual storm history. Lots of room for error- and the size of each storm clearly has a bearing on this. It has been diminishing in intensity this morning as it tries to make it turn north. Hopefully the wind sheer will continue to help, and push it further east. Going to be really rough on Kingston no matter what.

The (potential) good news for the Kingston area is....if the storm stays to the east, Kingston will receive primarily north winds from the west side of the storm...which makes a HUGE difference. The offshore flow will make the storm surge FAR less than what it would be if the storm were to move ashore just to the west of Kingston, resulting in south (onshore) winds.

Port Antonio may receive the brunt of the storm, if it stays on the current track. They will get the onshore winds from the north, which will push in a pretty substantial storm surge. Ocho Rios may be just far enough away to escape the worst of it....IF it doesn't wobble a little bit toward the west....

Latest from US National Hurricane Center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/030850.shtml is not encouraging. Hoping that staff and guests are safe ...

Does anyone have an update? What's the damage to our beloved island and second family? Praying for everyone's safety! Just Honeymooned last month for our 5th trip to Couples. One Love.

from couples main page:
    We are thankful and happy to announce that our properties are fully functional and have experienced no property damage from Hurricane Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Luvinthesun View Post
    Does anyone have an update? What's the damage to our beloved island and second family? Praying for everyone's safety! Just Honeymooned last month for our 5th trip to Couples. One Love.
    We were at San Souci during the storm and could not have been more pleased at the way the situation was handled. We were staying Beachfront and were moved up into the cliffs (G8). The storm, thankfully moved East. San Souci had very little damage....some palm trees down, one day of constant rain and the next day was very windy. Some erosion of the main beach, fixed the very next day with a couple of dump truck loads of sand. There were very large waves coming against the sea wall at the work out center, the main beach and SSB for two days. The White River actually ran along the beach at SSB and not straight out into the Ocean. All bars and restaurants were fully operational by Tuesday mid-day...Beach Party went on as planned.

I am in complete awe of the storm preparations...all water craft pulled out of the water and moved in front of the Beachfront suites. All lounge chairs also piled up by Beachfront rooms, A few chairs were left around the pools for guest use and then those were actually put into the pools for the storm. All ceiling fans and outdoor light fixtures were completely taken down from the outdoor eating areas and out of the trees. Chair cushions were bagged and stored. Lower hot tubs and windows were boarded closed. The Main lobby was boarded, spa area boarded and all computers were packed and moved to safety. All meals were served buffet style at Cassanova and the food was fantastic!
    Last edited by JEANNEW; October 14th, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018