Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Invest 97L / Tropical Storm "Matthew" Concerns

According to the experts, this storm is about to make its way into the caribbean... the question remains where and when... and how strong.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

We're traveling Oct 1-7... glad we got trip insurance.

Anyone reconsidering their trip?

What will the resort do in the event of a storm (tropical storm or hurricane)?

Please post your updates and decisions...

MNTravelGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MNtravelGirl View Post
    According to the experts, this storm is about to make its way into the caribbean... the question remains where and when... and how strong.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

We're traveling Oct 1-7... glad we got trip insurance.

Anyone reconsidering their trip?

What will the resort do in the event of a storm (tropical storm or hurricane)?

Please post your updates and decisions...

MNTravelGirl
    Our travel dates are October 1-7 as well. Read your trip insurance policy carefully they can be tricky to prevent from paying a claim. Looking at all of the weather models it does appear Jamaica will be impacted. We are going to make the call tomorrow, we will probably pass and go in the spring. Don't think we will ever book for the fall again. The slightly reduced price does not make up for the risk in missing a trip.

We're watching closely as well. Our dates are oct 5-12.

Our trip last year was affected by hurricane Joaquin. Only slightly though....windy (we still made the best of it and sat on the beach, drinks in hand) , lots of seaweed and turned up water. Nit really stunk but was still Jamaica.

I've been yearning for they clear water for so long now....I hope this goes elsewhere!

Checked the insurance policy and called to confirm.

If WE cancel (for any reason), we get a voucher to use on a future trip-- checked rates, and it would NOT be enough cover the cost of a room in the near future according to Couples current rates - very disappointing. I did not realize it was in the form of a voucher when I purchased the insurance- that was not very clear.

If the AIRLINE cancels/ travel is impossible, or COUPLES advises against travel, then we can get a cash refund. Either way, it's for the resort only-- not airfare. That's a whole separate disaster...

Anyways, we will ultimately decide on Friday (fly out early Sat), but if the storm stays on its expected course -- turn to a hurricane and 105 MPH winds by Mon in Jamiaca-- then certainly we can't be expected to fly into those imminent conditions.

Wishing the best of luck to all travelers!

Blog Entries

Hi All, Please note below our Hotel Policy as per our website.

Hurricane Policy http://couples.com/policies

TRAVEL INSURANCE RECOMMENDED
    Couples Resorts strongly advocates the purchase of Travel Insurance in order to minimize any potential financial loss, as Couples Resorts is under no legal obligation to offer any form of compensation related to any storm event. The following policy, offered as a gesture of goodwill and without prejudice, applies to the hotel portion of the stay only. All airline related questions and policies should be directed to the appropriate carrier.

MESSAGE BOARD UPDATES
    In the event of an imminent hurricane, Couples Resorts will post regular advisories on the message board. to inform guests of the travel dates covered by the Hurricane Policy. The message board will be updated for as long as it is necessary. If your travel date is not specified, standard cancellation/no-show penalties will apply. Couples Resorts utilizes the official website of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (www.noaa.gov), to determine projected path and strength probabilities. If a storm has been declared a hurricane and the resorts/destination appear within the "Cone of Influence" on the 3-Day Tracking Map, the following policies and procedures will apply.

ON PROPERTY GUESTS
    If guests feel the need to leave, Couples Resorts will issue a hotel credit valid for travel July 15 through December 15, 2016 or July 15 through December 15, 2017 for the number of nights interrupted. In the event that guests are forced to extend their stay due to storm related flight delays, Couples Resorts will charge a distressed traveler nightly rate for each extended night, to be paid upon departure.

ARRIVING GUESTS
    In the event that guests are unable to arrive as scheduled due to flight cancellations or resort closure, the following options are offered:

Guests may elect to arrive within 30 days after the storm has passed for the same number of nights without an increase in the nightly rate. In this case, Couples Resorts will make every effort to confirm the dates and original category. Alternatively, you can stay for fewer nights, in which case Couples Resorts will issue a hotel credit valid for travel July 15 through December 15, 2016 or July 15 through December 15, 2017 for the number of nights not used (subject to availability at the resort).
    If the resort is damaged and remains closed for an extended period of time, guests may elect to stay at one of the other available Couples Resorts at the same rate and, if available, comparable category. Should this option be utilized, no further compensation will be offered. Guests may elect to postpone arrival for more than 30 days after storm has passed. Couples Resorts will authorize a full (Hotel Only) credit for travel July 15 through December 15, 2016 or July 15 through December 15, 2017. Couples Resorts will guarantee the original rate (and category, if available) regardless of travel date
    Guest that purchased TripMate insurance with Couples Resorts will receive credit voucher in lieu of the compensation mentioned above. They will be able to use that dollar amount credit to purchase future trip without any black-out date restrictions.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Michelle, we are scheduled to arrive at CSS next week, whether and how TS/hurricane Matthew affects us, we'll simply have to deal with. My hope for you and all other Couples employees and their families is that you/they are safe. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

Stay safe!

Blog Entries

Thank you Piperman! Hoping you will still be able to visit and all will be well.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Wishing all Couples staff and their families stay safe. Hoping Matthew stays east of Jamaica and our little slice of heaven. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

We're there the same dates as well , so we're watching and hoping for the best.

We pray that the hurricane turns and for safety. Home, soon come

I am completely stressing over it. Long over due vaca for us, and our 20th anniversary. So much planning and excitement. We are scheduled to fly from Va to Fl early Sun and arrive in Jamaica by 11 a.m. Sunday. Just do not know what to do. Any input appreciated!!!

My wife and I are scheduled to travel to Jamaica for our honeymoon on Sunday morning arriving around 2:25pm. Hoping everything keeps pushing East as predicted and the impact is minimal for everyone's sake!

We are supposed to fly on Saturday. We are currently checking with travel agent about rescheduling. I'm hoping that the next 24 hours the thing shifts or dies out but that is unlikely.

bevnDon - I would start looking into rescheduling...the likelihood of it hitting is high and causing damage even higher.

My wife and I are heading down on our honeymoon on Sunday and just crossing our fingers the storm stays East for us and everyone else's sake. I can ride out one day of wind!

We are scheduled to arrive Oct. 3. We are thinking about rescheduling in the spring. This happened to us in August and we rescheduled but that storm never became a hurricane. Can't believe it happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by bevnDon View Post
    I am completely stressing over it. Long over due vaca for us, and our 20th anniversary. So much planning and excitement. We are scheduled to fly from Va to Fl early Sun and arrive in Jamaica by 11 a.m. Sunday. Just do not know what to do. Any input appreciated!!!
    Keep doing what you are doing...monitoring this message board for updates. If couples doesn't enact the hurricane policy and your carrier is flying, enjoy your trip!

Michelle, I am assuming that if the airport closes/flights are cancelled because of the hurricane, couples will be following suit and instigating the hurricane policy? I don't mean to split hairs, but if Negril isn't in the cone but the airport is, I'm assuming the hurricane policy will apply?

This is my post-breast cancer, chemo, surgery trip, thinking about it kept me sane. ...now I don't know if we'll have a flight... due to arrive Sunday 2nd @ Couples Negril. Stay safe everyone. So upset right now. ��

Same here. We're scheduled to fly in Saturday for our 20th anniversary. Having second thoughts about the trip but we're stuck as I neglected to purchase the travel insurance. Looks like it's going to be a week spent in the room.

Go or not to go. Just called the trip insurance, big disappointment. The "event" has to be occurring in order to do the cancellation- What??? So, debating whether to chance it or not. We are scheduled to arrive Sunday. guess I might have to pack a poncho

We just pulled the plug on our Oct 1-8th visit. Fortunately, our cancel-for-any-reason insurance will reimburse us everything. Thoughts & prayers to everyone there...I hope we made the wrong decision, and that the storm will pass you by without causing any harm.

In the event that the winds reach high speeds (like 70mph or more), where do guest go to be safe from things like branches flying through windows?

Thanks,
    Jim

So has anyone changed their travel plans? We're still scheduled to arrive on Sunday before the storm hits. If we can't change it, we've decided we're still going and will hunker down to ride out the storm on Monday. We're traveling for our honeymoon and are determined not to let someone/something named Matthew ruin it!

Quote Originally Posted by bevnDon View Post
    My husband and I were expected to fly out Sunday morning for our honeymoon. Now that it is a category 2 hurricane and expected to strengthen, is it safe to assume that we shouldn't fly? The airline hasn't canceled the flight yet. Help!

I'm truly concerned for Jamaica, right now the eastern half. There's still possibility that it goes east, but today its not looking good. Current winds as of 11am edt 9-30 are already 115mph. Please pack extra provisions if you are arriving tomorrow. Flashlights might be good as well. Here are some links to consider if you want to follow the weather. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ http://www.jaweather.com/radar-image.html and http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/ Stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast