Default CSS stair climbing - how many flights between regularly visited spots?

Looking at staying at CSS this spring and debating between beach front and one bedroom suite room categories. Know that this resort is on the hillside with stairs but just how many flights will we need to cover to get from place to place? Read that it's only takes 5 mins, that to me is only an easy flight or two not 4 or 5. thanks!

Default Personal Choice

Quote Originally Posted by luvbeaches View Post
    Looking at staying at CSS this spring and debating between beach front and one bedroom suite room categories. Know that this resort is on the hillside with stairs but just how many flights will we need to cover to get from place to place? Read that it's only takes 5 mins, that to me is only an easy flight or two not 4 or 5. thanks!
    After multiple trips to CSS we have found that we prefer the one bedroom beachfront suite. This room gives you quick access, as well as a great view of the beach area. It is also located near the main dining areas and swim up pool area. We typically explore the resort on multiple days and end up taking the steps up to the upper areas, we do not find the steps to challenging. I am not sure of how many flights, it is a gradual climb and depending on the route you take some very good scenery. Our first trip at CSS was in the upper half, the room and view were awesome. We just prefer the lower area due to the quick access and beach view.

Our first CSS stay we were in building F I think. I recall counting the steps up from beach to our room and it was north of 100 (I am thinking a bit more than 120). That is more than a flight or two. We didn't mind...but much preferred staying in building A on our return.

I think the stairs are a bit over-talked up as a problem - it nearly put me off booking - but honestly they really are no big deal at all. From the very very bottom to the very very top (and you don't do the whole thing often) they are only the equivalent of say 4 or 5 flights of ordinary house stairs, and they are mostly broken up by beautiful planted walkways, view points, seating and landings into smaller chunks. I am an ordinary not very fit 52 year old and I honestly barely notice them. If you are infirm there is also a lift (as in elevator) plus there is a guy with a buggy who will drive you up round the edge if you like.

A few years ago we were lucky enough to stay in the Hibiscus Cottage, but spent most of our days at SSB, which are on complete opposite ends of the resort property. I do not recall how many actual steps there were from top to bottom but it was somewhere in the area of 170 (give or take a few). While it was very imposing at first, we trudged it daily and found that it helped to keep off some of the extra calories!

There are other options as well as taking the steps. You can walk the service roads behind the buildings or you can call the front desk and get a ride up or down the roads as well.
    CSS 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Hi luvbeaches,
    Although I feel it is important for visitors to be informed about the stairs, I have to agree with Ruthjfj. Once you start the climb, you will find waterfalls, hidden hot tub and hammocks. The upper part of the resort feels like you are in a jungle and the lower part is clearly beach. We choose to stay beachfront, but I make sure to explore on each visit.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Beachfront is the only way to go for us. Close to everything.

There are a lot of steps.

The office, Casanova, Balloon Bar and one of the pools are on the upper level.

Just returned and stayed in the top floor of G block. It's a pretty good hike from the lower beach, and while we really don't mind the hike, by the time we would get back to the room, regardless of time of day, we were quite sweaty. If that time of hiking is concerning for you (and remember you will likely do it several times a day...more if you forget things), than a lower level would be best. I think D and E blocks are a good compromise. You are still in the cliffs, but only half way up.

We counted 48 steps from the beach to our room up by the lobby. There are LOTS of steps. the beachfront rooms are the way to go.

Life is good

I like the views from the upper buildings and the stone stairs and pathways are beautiful. Explore!

We will go on record as agreeing with Ruthjfj and JEANNEW that the stairs are over-rated...unless you have an injury or health condition that limits stair climbing. The thing to be aware of is that it's not like climbing 4-5 flights of stairs in a building. For instance, one method of getting from Bldg. G (our favorite) to the main beach would require going down the descending path, that starts between building F and G goes past building E, and winds up by the fitness pavilion then up one flight of stairs to the level of building D then down stairs (approximately a double flight) to the main beach level. There are a few ways to get from point to point within CSS and none of them are over a 2-flight of stairs climb. We have always found that the fun of CSS is finding new ways to get around (it's like an adventure). Oh...and one other plus is that you're on vacation so there's usually no rush in getting around. Take you time, smell the flowers (literally) and explore the beauty of Jamaica in CSS.

There is an elevator that cuts the climb by more than half...we were on our 3rd stay before we found it.

CSS is in our opinion, the most naturally beautiful of any resort. The restaurants are on opposite ends of the mineral pool and small beach area. It requires many, many steps to get to these and all of the in-between lovely areas CSS has. During your stair climbing, you will notice beautiful nooks and crannies, amazing flowers, many tiny lizards, birds, sights, etc. We aren't going back this year, we've chosen a different Couples for this year because of the steps. But if you are in good shape, and don't mind climbing, you'll love it.

Good catch, Gatekeeper. For those going up to Bldg. F or G from the Mineral Pool/Spa area this can take out the stair climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
    There is an elevator that cuts the climb by more than half...we were on our 3rd stay before we found it.
    There is a not so prominently posted sign saying to limit the elevator to 2 passengers. We missed the sign and 4 of us got stuck. We kind of laughed it off as just part of the adventure (though one in our party was none too pleased at the time).
    Last edited by Bert; September 21st, 2016 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BandS25 View Post
    Just returned and stayed in the top floor of G block. It's a pretty good hike from the lower beach, and while we really don't mind the hike, by the time we would get back to the room, regardless of time of day, we were quite sweaty. If that time of hiking is concerning for you (and remember you will likely do it several times a day...more if you forget things), than a lower level would be best. I think D and E blocks are a good compromise. You are still in the cliffs, but only half way up.

Agree with Bands25 - We were also in G block (Room G8 - Gorgeous View!) in May 2016. Though we were "warned" about the stairs, it's QUITE a hike to and from nearly anywhere; we are in OK shape (not awesome, not terrible) and we too got pretty sweaty as we climbed and climbed to our room. But yes, you generally are not in a huge hurry and if going back to your room, you can change, shower, cool off before heading back out. The only time I found it a challenge was if I had to pee (lol) or if we were coming back from a night cap and just wanted to get back to the room
    All in all, we made it an adventure when we'd leave or come back to the room. Our friends stayed beach front and they put up with more noise. Once we got to our G8 room, it was silence, we loved it.