Thread: CN or CSA

Default CN or CSA

It has been the most stressful thing trying to pick a resort thus far. My husband and I have never taken a trip like this together...we didn't get a honeymoon. So my parents have been to CTI about 4 times I think. They have not ventured out and don't seem interested in trying a new place. After looking at the couples site, I'm leaning more towards CN and CSA. I just can't decide. Both my husband and I are in our early 30's. We aren't looking to party, but we definitely want to enjoy some good drinks and food. Which resort has the better pool? The beaches at both resorts look amazing, but I don't know what would be better for us. We want a romantic trip. We don't want hustle and bustle from outsiders or a crowded beach. So which one would be better for that? Also, which rooms are best at these resorts? I don't want to spend a crap ton of money for a beachfront room, but I don't want to be disappointed by a garden view. Any tips and advice would be appreciated!! Thank you.

mrsfennel - both resorts are great (we have stayed at both and love them both). They both have great beaches. As you noted, the CSA beach allows for more local culture where you can venture off of the beach and do local dining/drinking. And the CSA beach allows for much longer beach walks. Like you, we prefer to eat/drink on resort (though I am tempted to do an off-resort jerk tour) and the beach at CN is plenty long for us to take a nice walk. The beach at CN is a bit quieter than CSA with fewer vendors. The CN pool is likely the best of all of the Couples resorts (note: I have not been to CTI, the CSS pool is a close second). Don't worry about the Garden rooms - they are fine. Our first trip to CN we stayed in a beachfront suite. I was worried that any other room would pale by comparison. Since then, we have only stayed in the Garden Deluxe and they are just fine. We spend enough time on the beach and at the pool that we don't need that view from our room...and the view of the grounds is nice from the Garden Deluxe. Either resort will likely check all of your boxes, so there is no bad choice. Regardless of whichever you choose, you will have fun. Enjoy!

You can always do a split stay and get a taste of both resorts. The transfer from one Couple's resort to another is free.

Bert,
    How does the food compare at both resorts?

MrsFennel

Quote Originally Posted by mrsfennel View Post
    Bert,
    How does the food compare at both resorts?

MrsFennel
    To me, they are comparable. The one thing that CSA has that I really enjoy is à la carte breakfast at Patois Patio. They both offer in-room breakfast (simple things like pastry, cereal, yogurt, fruit, coffee, etc.) and a breakfast buffet. But my favorite is the Patois Patio breakfast. They each have a beach grill for lunch, a veggie bar option for lunch, an Asian/fusion restaurant, a "fancy" restaurant. I think CSA has one more restaurant than CN. The food is quite good at both (to me it neither 5 star gourmet dining, nor high volume mediocrity...very good food and you won't go hungry at either). So I guess I am not much help saying they are equally good.

mrsfennel,
    Your post rings all too familiar.

Our first trip to Negril was to CN, LOVED IT! Took our kids to another resort in Negril 7 months later, they LOVED IT! Last two trips have been to CSA, LOVED IT! Heading back to CN on 7 Sept. I'm sure that provides you with all the clarity you need.

“We aren’t looking to party, but definitely want good drinks and food” – Both resorts will provide that; CSA does have a small disco that comes alive after the piano bar “sing a long” ends, if you’re into that.

“Which resort has the better pool” – CN has basically one pool with a pool bar. CSA has 3 pools, one pool bar. Quality over quantity…CN has the better pool and pool bar.

“We want a romantic trip” – either resort but, personally we like the Atrium suites at CSA. Very private with large verandahs/hammock, only 4 rooms per building, set back mid-property, you give up an ocean view for privacy…It’s a trade-off.

“We don’t want hustle and bustle from outsiders” – probably CN is better, there are fewer vendors in Bloody Bay. But I will say, the security staff at both resorts does an excellent job at keeping vendors at bay; they can only come up to the high water line unless you call them over… I don’t find them to be bothersome at either resort.

“What rooms are best at each resort” – As I said we love the Atrium suites at CSA, described above. The rooms at CN are more “hotel like”, they are all identical with location being the differentiator. The exception are the suites (Crap ton of money).

“How does the food compare” – very similar, CSA has more dining options but the food at both is very good.

We think there are two major differences:
    Location- CSA is on Long Bay, CN is on Bloody Bay. If you are inclined to simply stay on property then CN is a better fit. If you are like me and want to wander off property during the day for drinks, eats, and music then CSA is ideal.

Size – CSA is larger, more rooms more spread out; it doesn’t ever feel crowded though. CSA has the better fitness facility (which is across the street) large open air gym with a lap pool, indoor racquet courts. CN is far more compact, fewer guests means you more easily connect with your fellow guests and the staff.

Both resorts are excellent; we love them both my preference being CSA and wife prefers CN. You’ve done the hard part and gotten it all right so far; picked Jamaica, and Couples and Negril

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy which ever resort you select.
    "Love is the only thing we have to share"

CN 2011, 2016
    CSA 2013, 2015

Hi MrsFennel,

If you're tossed between CN and CSA with the pool being the big decision point...CN has the best of the two. Both have great beaches with CSA's being longer but not as deep when compared to CN's. CN's beach is not so exposed which tends to make for calmer/clearer water. CSA's beach tends to, from our experience, get crowded a little faster than CN's. Both have beaches with public access...that is non-guests can walk along the waterline...including vendors. They can't enter the property (Couples security does a good job of making sure they don't) unless invited by a guest. In comparison, CSA has restaurants/pools at the north and south end of the property with living accommodations in between while CN has the main pool and restaurants centrally located with the 9 buildings north and south (5 one way and 4 the other) of that main area. We have stayed in the Deluxe Ocean at CN...having a great view of the ocean and also the Beachfront at CSA but will be trying an Atrium Suite (which we've heard great things about) on our next stay. CSA has 2 restaurants that are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner (plus the beach grill) with an additional 2 that are dinner only. All are nice and Feathers is a little more upscale (nice not stuffy). CN has 1 restaurant that is open breakfast, lunch and dinner (plus the beach grill) with an additional 3 that are dinner only. Again, all are nice with Otaheite being the upscale restaurant at CN (again...not stuffy). Hopefully this helps with making the decision of which resort to visit. The one thing you'll find is that no matter which you choose...you won't be disappointed!

Bart & Bug

I've done a few reviews of both of these resorts that you might find useful. Here's an in depth comparison of CN and CSA that I did a few years ago that you might find useful:

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...light=inthesun

In addition I've written a lot of updates that appear on tripadvisor as well. Just do a search on the username jahansen on www.tripadvisor.com. What you'll get by reading the tripadvisor reviews is a evolution of our experiences over the years at multiple reviews. The resorts have changed and our views have changed, but we have a continuing love affair with each other and with couples resorts.

My wife and I have been going to couples almost every year since 2001 and have been to every resort other than CSS. However, as a warning, I'll tell you that we went to CTI once and while there was a lot to like about it, it just wasn't our resort... mostly because the beach was really narrow compared to the resorts in Negril. So we probably aren't going to agree with your parents!

We started out as CSA people, but we kept reading about people who preferred CN. We've now been to each multiple times and I think we are to the point where we agree that CN is really where we want to be.

If there is anything else we can tell you to be of assistance, just contact me a john@hansen.net.

You are about to have the most romantic trip of your life, I think. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsfennel View Post
    It has been the most stressful thing trying to pick a resort thus far. My husband and I have never taken a trip like this together...we didn't get a honeymoon. So my parents have been to CTI about 4 times I think. They have not ventured out and don't seem interested in trying a new place. After looking at the couples site, I'm leaning more towards CN and CSA. I just can't decide. Both my husband and I are in our early 30's. We aren't looking to party, but we definitely want to enjoy some good drinks and food. Which resort has the better pool? CN has the best pool in Jamaica. CSA does have a disco but OUR experience was that it was a constant celebration of the wedding groups which would come in. We tried it twice during our stay and just as things would get going, another wedding group would come in, things would stop to congratulate for a few minutes until the next group arrived so it's not a great atmosphere if you're not part of the weddings.

The beaches at both resorts look amazing, but I don't know what would be better for us. We want a romantic trip. We don't want hustle and bustle from outsiders or a crowded beach. So which one would be better for that? Hands down CN for this. You will have to search for a spot in the shade at CSA while CN never has this problem. The beach at CN is calm and has far less traffic with the occasional vendor but they are far less aggressive on the CN side.

Also, which rooms are best at these resorts? I don't want to spend a crap ton of money for a beachfront room, but I don't want to be disappointed by a garden view. Any tips and advice would be appreciated!! There is much more variety of rooms at CSA. At CN you won't spend much time in the room anyway.

We've been to all the Couples and would return to all of them except CSA. We're not cat and dog people and CSA is fairly polluted with cats while we also experience (Badly) a number of wild dogs on the beach.

Thank you.
    Just my experiences CN X 6, CSS X 5, CTI X 1, CSA X 1