Default Dogs and Cats at CSA

Just returned from our fifth trip to CSA and everything was wonderful. My only concern is regarding the growing number of cats on the property as well as dogs roaming the beach. It seems to be increasing each time we visit. Upon arrival, we were treated to a pile of cat poop right in front of our third floor room door. It was quickly cleaned up but we still found it a little off-putting. During our stay, we saw a very young, pregnant cat that was hanging out by the Cabana Grille as well as another one with four small kittens by one of the Garden View room blocks near Patois. We also saw three or four dogs roaming the beach and the males were clearly not neutered. Of course, the staff did not like the dogs roaming onto the property but usually disregarded them -- I think because they know the guests don't like to see them mistreated.

While I understand that someone as CSA "cares" for the cats (we saw bowls of food and water around), there does not seem to be a spay or neutering effort. It seems to me that it would be in the best interested of the resort (as well as other resorts like Beaches) to support some sort of program to have these animals fixed. Not only are they stray, unwanted and neglected, but they will just continue to multiply if left alone.

Since I believe most people on this message board are repeaters, I wonder how everyone else felt about this. It seemed like most people we encountered felt sorry for the dogs and cats and wanted to do something for them. I was wondering if perhaps we could set up some sort of fund to contribute to a spay/neutering program in the Negril area. Maybe if we showed some support for this effort, the resorts in the area would also support it.

I just feel that something needs to be done before the problem gets out of hand.

CSA has in the past participated in a spay and neuter program, at least for the cats. One was taking place the last time we were there as we were given a handout at check in to not feed the cats and to not disturb the cages set up to catch them. I believe visiting vets were staying on property and we saw them numerous times working with the cats. I"m not sure how often this occurs but sounds like it may be time to do it again.

As long as the dogs and cats don't take up any palapas, I have no problem. with them.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I totally agree and do feel terrible about the situation. They do spay an neuter but obviously not all are caught up in time. It breaks my heart to see them. I sure would donate to the cause for a spay/neuter program.

I wonder if there is any such thing as a spay and/or neuter program at all on Jamaica? I would think that veternary care would be a rare thing on such a poverished island.

You will notice that some of the cats have a clipped ear. That indicates they have been spayed/neutered.

The presence of the cats and dogs doesn't bother me. Although one did camp out under a palapa with us, @fawnridge. He didn't take up much room so we didn't mind, of course. It's the growing population and neglect that bothers me. I understand that feelings towards cats and dogs in Jamaica are not the same as they are in the U.S. and other countries and certainly also understand that putting money towards this issue may not be a priority for them. I don't judge them for that. However, when one of your primary sources of income is tourism, one must consider how this issue is viewed by others. As animal lovers, it saddens us to see them and that's not what you want to happen while you're on vacation. It also seems like there's a lack of forward-thinking when is comes to this problem. It might not be terribly bad or a priority right now, but if nothing is done, the problem is going to continue to grow and it could quickly and easily become unmanageable.

This is why I was thinking that we, as guests, could making a difference by helping to fund a spay/neutering effort in Negril -- for both the cats that live on property as well as the dogs that roam the beach. I could start a Go Fund Me campaign or perhaps Couples management could start a fund where we can make direct contributions. But obviously, management has to be on board with the program because of the logistics of actually making it happen. I'm sure there are some vets on the island and/or we could possibly help pay for volunteers to come and help. I live near the University of Florida and I'm sure a volunteer effort by veterinary students is not out of the question. I'm happy and willing to assist in any way I can.

Please continue to comment on this post and let management know that it's something we'd support. I think we can make a difference!

While I do understand that a few cats on property can help with controlling rodents, they have to be aware that tourists may be allergic to both dogs and cats. Also, if there is no money for spaying, what about rabies? Or is that a non-issue in Jamaica?

Nancy
    CTI - 2013
    CN - 2015

It's my understanding that rabies does not exist in Jamaica. The animals, however, could still carry fleas and ticks. I did notice one of the dogs had an eye infection.
    Last edited by lvmcgill; July 20th, 2016 at 05:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi All,

Please note that regarding Cats at CSA, we do have a spay and neutering program and the last time we had persons in to spay and neuter was earlier this year.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    Hi All,

Please note that regarding Cats at CSA, we do have a spay and neutering program and the last time we had persons in to spay and neuter was earlier this year.
    Thanks for the info, Michelle. Yet, just last week I saw a cat with four young kittens as well as a very young pregnant cat. Perhaps if guests could contribute to a fund for this they could do it more frequently? Do you think the resort would also be willing to do something with the dogs? I think they have it far worse since they are not cared for or welcome on the property like the cats are.

A couple we know are animal lovers. They were vacationing in the Dominican Republic and absolutely fell in love with one of the beach dogs that had befriended them. They went through all of the necessary steps to get the dog through the red tape and brought him home to NJ.

We have two dogs at Home, Bob and Marley. So we do like dogs....and I have been guilty of this myself, but if the dogs received less "scraps" they would not make CSA a regular stop. I do not like cats, so 99% of the time the cats stay away from me. I think they know.

Couples i hope this is okay to post.

There are several animal welfare charities operating on the island to help with stray animals. One that I know of that is run by Maureen Sheridan is called the Animal House. She has rescued several dogs from the beach at and around CSA.
    If you are interested in helping the animals on the island of Jamaica this would be a great start. The ISSA Trust fund also supports the Animal House among other worthy charities.

The website is here:
    http://www.theanimalhousejamaica.org/

There are also a couple of other animal rescue organizations in Jamaica. I don't know much about them but they are registered a charities.
    There is athe Jamaican ASPCA:
    http://www.jamaicaspca.com/

And The Montego Bay Animal Haven:
    http://www.montegobayanimalhaven.com/

Jamaica is a poor country and the animal organizations are always in need.

Pam Lawson emailed me about a group in Negril that takes care of the dogs. If you want to check them out on Facebook, do a search for "Negril Small Spay & Neuter Clinics."

I think something like this would be a great idea. While I haven't been to CSA, I did take note of the cats at CN. There were only a couple that I saw, and they didn't look neglected, etc... and I understand that they are helpful for rodent control. They stayed away from people from what I saw and I am not bothered by them whatsoever. I would probably be bothered more by seeing stray dogs around or a growing population of cats around the resort.
    I am a die hard animal lover, and I would fully support and donate towards a fund to help animal population control around the resorts. I bet there are plenty others who would do the same if this was an option given at some point.
    Julie and David
    CN Oct 2012
    Oct 2016

Quote Originally Posted by JulieK View Post
    I think something like this would be a great idea. While I haven't been to CSA, I did take note of the cats at CN. There were only a couple that I saw, and they didn't look neglected, etc... and I understand that they are helpful for rodent control. They stayed away from people from what I saw and I am not bothered by them whatsoever. I would probably be bothered more by seeing stray dogs around or a growing population of cats around the resort.
    I am a die hard animal lover, and I would fully support and donate towards a fund to help animal population control around the resorts. I bet there are plenty others who would do the same if this was an option given at some point.
    @JulieK
    I've found another rescue group that does great work helping rescue dogs in Negril. They provide medical care, spay/neutering as well as re-homing. I know they work with cats as well but as you mentioned, I think the stray dogs are a much bigger issue. Please consider donating to them!

Their Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/theanimalhousejamaica/?fref=nf and I'm pretty sure they just rescued the male and female that were spending time with me when I was at CSA earlier this month. They also had a recent post that showed a dinner at Couple's Executive Chef, Stefan Spath's home, that was part of an auction supporting their organization. It's so nice to know that the executive chef of Couples also cares about the animals!

Their website is http://www.theanimalhousejamaica.org where you can make a donation via PayPal. Perhaps mention Couples so they know we're guests who support their efforts!

Being a huge animal lover, I have found it distressing to be in a foreign country and not knowing which way to turn when a animal is in need of assistance. Last year while in Negril, I came in contact with a dog that was in dire need of veterinary care. Desperate that I was, I turned the local travel forum and was given the name of The Animal House Jamaica. I cannot for the life of me say enough about this wonderful non-profit organization that came to the assistance of this beautiful animal. They have been financially supported in the past by the Couples Organization. They have a Paypal account set up on their Facebook page and donations of any amount are greatly appreciated. They also will help in rehoming animals to the USA and Canada. So while on vacation if you just happen to fall in love with one of these strays, they will help getting vet checks and the proper documentation and set up transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmamom View Post
    Being a huge animal lover, I have found it distressing to be in a foreign country and not knowing which way to turn when a animal is in need of assistance. Last year while in Negril, I came in contact with a dog that was in dire need of veterinary care. Desperate that I was, I turned the local travel forum and was given the name of The Animal House Jamaica. I cannot for the life of me say enough about this wonderful non-profit organization that came to the assistance of this beautiful animal. They have been financially supported in the past by the Couples Organization. They have a Paypal account set up on their Facebook page and donations of any amount are greatly appreciated. They also will help in rehoming animals to the USA and Canada. So while on vacation if you just happen to fall in love with one of these strays, they will help getting vet checks and the proper documentation and set up transportation.

CSA 2009, 2014 [20th anniversary]
    CSS 2010
    CN 2011
    CTI 2017 [50th birthday & 23rd anniversary], 2019 [25th anniversary]

I was just checking out the Facebook page of The Animal House Jamaica and a post from July 31 states two dogs were rescued from the beach at Couples Swept Away with the help of this GREAT organization!!!! ������. Apparently a guest staying at the resort will be adopting them❤️❤️❤️

Quote Originally Posted by Gemmamom View Post
    ...two dogs were rescued from the beach at Couples Swept Away...a guest staying at the resort will be adopting them.
    This was my favorite post of the day...week...year...ever.

When we travel to Couples, we always bring an extra checked bag (or two) full of donated items for The Animal House Jamaica. They are always in need of medications, flea & tick applications, leashes, collars, etc. etc. And, of course, doggie biscuits.

We are currently trying to collect enough funds for Maureen and The Animal House Jamaica to help a little disabled kitten (from Sunset Beach at CSS) reach his forever home in Boston! Details about the Go Fund Me effort can be found on the Facebook page of The Animal House Jamaica.

If any of you animal lovers are interested, The Animal House Jamaica conducts an annual ebay auction to aid their charity organization each year around Christmas time. Many wonderful items are included, which have been donated by friends of The Animal House, from all over the world. Such items will include a three-night stay at any Couples resort of your choice, and a gourmet dinner for 8 donated by and prepared by Couples Executive Chef, Stefan Spath! Also included will be stays at several other resorts, dinners at many local restaurants, all-day passes for four persons to visit Mystic Mountain, lots of artwork, etc. etc. etc. "Like" The Animal House Jamaica on Facebook to keep up with their never-ending quest to help the animals of Jamaica, and you will also be aware of when this auction begins.

Hugs from all the Jamaican doggies and kitties,
    Jim & Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim & Darcy View Post
    When we travel to Couples, we always bring an extra checked bag (or two) full of donated items for The Animal House Jamaica. They are always in need of medications, flea & tick applications, leashes, collars, etc. etc. And, of course, doggie biscuits.

We are currently trying to collect enough funds for Maureen and The Animal House Jamaica to help a little disabled kitten (from Sunset Beach at CSS) reach his forever home in Boston! Details about the Go Fund Me effort can be found on the Facebook page of The Animal House Jamaica.

If any of you animal lovers are interested, The Animal House Jamaica conducts an annual ebay auction to aid their charity organization each year around Christmas time. Many wonderful items are included, which have been donated by friends of The Animal House, from all over the world. Such items will include a three-night stay at any Couples resort of your choice, and a gourmet dinner for 8 donated by and prepared by Couples Executive Chef, Stefan Spath! Also included will be stays at several other resorts, dinners at many local restaurants, all-day passes for four persons to visit Mystic Mountain, lots of artwork, etc. etc. etc. "Like" The Animal House Jamaica on Facebook to keep up with their never-ending quest to help the animals of Jamaica, and you will also be aware of when this auction begins.

Hugs from all the Jamaican doggies and kitties,
    Jim & Darcy
    This is probably a stupid question but can you leave those items at CSA to be donated to The Animal House?

Quote Originally Posted by heathert View Post
    This is probably a stupid question but can you leave those items at CSA to be donated to The Animal House?
    I would also be interested to know if this is something CN will collect for (or CSA on trading places day).

Good to know about the Animal House's annual auction - I will keep my eyes peeled for that event for sure!
    Julie and David
    CN Oct 2012
    Oct 2016

Hello heathert, and JulieK,

Yes, you may bring items for donation to The Animal House Jamaica to any of the Couples Resorts. If you leave these items with management, they will contact Maureen, and make sure that she receives them. Of course, if you are staying at CTI or CSS, you could even arrange a visit to the sanctuary, and deliver the donations yourself! With the new highway, the trip is only a short distance from Ocho Rios. And the doggies LOVE to have company!!!

Feel free to "Like" The Animal House Jamaica on Facebook. There you will have direct contact with Maureen Sheridan, the executive director of the sanctuary. That way you can find our the shelter's specific needs before your trip. In July, we brought them (as much as we could afford) a new product called NexGard to help with heartworm, flea, and tick control. Sometimes she also needs certain antibiotics. Our local veterinarian is VERY kind to offer these medications to us at his cost, since he knows they are being donated to the shelter. Perhaps your local veterinarian might do something similar!

By the way, our Go Fund Me project to help the little disabled kitten, named Souci, is still accepting donations. We are getting so close to our goal. Please consider a donation, no matter how small, to help Souci reach his forever home in Bsoton! :-)

Cheers,
    Jim and Darcy