Default Gym at Couples Negril

Hi all... long time lurker on here... Really enjoy all the info...makes the trip easier to plan for sure. Coming to CN soon and was wondering what the gym looks like. Could only find one photo on Web and the photo didn't show much. Is there a bench, dumbells, kettle bells etc etc...

Also, any chance we can grab some equipment and drag it to the beach for a morning beach workout?

Thanks in advance!

There are plenty of free weights and various machines for a good strength training workout, some treadmills and elliptical machines. I don't think I would take equipment to the beach.

The gym has recently undergone a replacement of most of their equipment over the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    The gym has recently undergone a replacement of most of their equipment over the past two years.
    Replacement meaning upgrade or replacement meaning repurposing the space for group classes etc.

Thanks for the replies...

To echo what was already said, the gym has pretty much everything you need, from a good selection of cardio machines, to free weights and weight machines as well. The 360 view on the CN section of the site usually shows a full view, but it does not appear to be working currently. I'm not sure what Couples' policy is, but I don't see why it would be a problem if you took a few free weights down to the beach for a morning workout, as long as you clean the sand off and put them back when done. It wouldn't be practical to drag a bench or anything like that out, and they probably wouldn't want you to that. I've worked out in that gym quite a few mornings, and it's usually very dead, so I highly doubt you will hear any complaints from other guests.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Quote Originally Posted by BOLTFISH View Post
    Replacement meaning upgrade or replacement meaning repurposing the space for group classes etc.

Thanks for the replies...
    Group classes are held on a special deck area just outside of the gym doors. They're just replacing some older equipment.
    Last edited by dank120; July 5th, 2016 at 05:30 PM.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013, 11/2015, 11/2016, 11/2017, 11/2018

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Group classes are held on a special deck area just outside of the gym doors. They're just replacing some older equipment.
    Thanks much for the posts and information... I'll ask someone if I can take a kettle bell or dumbell out w/me...if not no biggy...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BOLTFISH View Post
    I'll ask someone if I can take a kettle bell or dumbell out w/me...if not no biggy...
    See Wayne at the gym...great guy (and likely "no problem, mon"). During our first trip to CN (February 2010), our luggage arrived 3 days after we did. I was in the midst of an "exercise every day" binge (that lasted 3 years) and I could not miss a day. The gym has a policy of no bathing suits, must wear sneakers...but I only had a bathing suit and only had my top sider loafers. So I would get up at 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning in order to jump on the elliptical with my bathing suit & loafers hoping that no one would see me. I spoke with Wayne, asking where I could buy sneakers and workout clothes (MoBay was the answer...that wasn't going to happen). When I explained my predicament, he said "no problem, mon". I sure was happy when our luggage showed up!

BTW, you can schedule personal training with Wayne. He does a really good job of giving a 1/2 hour session, lots of stretching and body weight stuff - a good "get moving" workout with low injury risk (being as he really doesn't know each person's capabilities). I usually get to do 2 sessions with him...though I recall last April that rum & sand gravity may have trumped exercise.