Default Fair Skin and Sun?

We are first timers arriving June 16. My wife has fair skin so we need to make sure she does not get burned on our first day - or any day for that matter. Are their umbrella's / shaded areas on AN? Is there a swim up bar? Any info greatly appreciated. We will be staying at CTI
    Last edited by chucknlisa; May 10th, 2016 at 05:12 PM.

Plenty of shade around on the beach area and parts of the pool (at certain times of day). Crack a week or two at the local sunbed centre (nekkid, obv!) to get yourselves a nice base tan before you arrive and then let sand gravity take hold on day one at SSB. Done...like a turkey!

Quote Originally Posted by chucknlisa View Post
    We are first timers arriving June 16. My wife has fair skin so we need to make sure she does not get burned on our first day - or any day for that matter. Are their umbrella's / shaded areas on AN? Is there a swim up bar? Any info greatly appreciated.
    You didn't specify where you were going, but there are shaded areas at CN, CSS and CTI, with swim up bars at CTI and CSS.

Which resort will you be visiting?
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

Chuck and Lisa,
    You didn't say what resort? Regarding the fair skin - take some strong SPF sunscreen and apply multiple times per day. At CN and CSS you should be able to find shade depending on how crowded it is. We have not been to CTI so cannot say about the Island.

Enjoy your trip.

Kurt and Angela
    CN 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
    CSS 2014, 2016, 2017

There is a fair amount of shade, but no umbrellas. There is a bar, but not a swim up on the AN side. There is a swim up on the textile side. I have fair skin and take SPF 30 - SPF 45 at a minimum. The sun can/will burn you very quick. Enjoy yourself and welcome to Couples.

Duane & Mary

That is a great question! My wife and I are also very fair skin also. Anyone has good sunblock suggestions? We both are bit nervous on burning, but we are in Colorado where you burn, not tan while out in the sun here.

Quote Originally Posted by chucknlisa View Post
    We are first timers arriving June 16. My wife has fair skin so we need to make sure she does not get burned on our first day - or any day for that matter. Are their umbrella's / shaded areas on AN? Is there a swim up bar? Any info greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for all the replies - we will be visiting CTI

Wife is casper the ghost. Ok, not that bad, but she has very fair skin. We used between 30-50 SPF sunblock. Make sure its UVA/B. Id go with waterproof. I also have a shaved head, so I use banana boat spray on my melon. She got burned only on the day I wasnt there to harass her about sunblock. We used and/or are bringing

Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport 30SPF Lotion
    Neutrogena CoolDry Sport 50SPF Mist Spray
    Banana Boat SPF 30 Sport Body & Scalp Spritzer (this is surprisingly versatile, when she got burned bad this was the best one of them all to help stop more burn over another SPF 70)
    Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen Stick Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (easy to apply to the face, thats why I like these sticks)

I got burned so bad in cancun once I still have scars on my shoulders from it. That's why I travel with 53 sunscreens now.

A waterproof 30 is all you need, just reapply often because you can still get burned in the shade. Don't forget the lip balm with a strong spf, and reapply often.
    You'll be fine, plenty of shade on the island.

My wife and I both have fair skin. We hit the local tanning bed for a couples weeks before leaving as not burn while their. We're from California but lived in North Colorado for a few years- Jamaica's sun is more intense. Shade is available on the AN side and use lots of SPF 30+, you will be fine, we've been a few times.

Thank you!

We are 50% fair skin and would highly recommend any sunscreen with Mexoryl (ecamsule). The SPF number I dont think matters...I dont think there is any data that suggests a higher SPF number means more sun protection. The ingredients are what matters. Mexoryl sunscreen has been available in Europe for decades. We found this and started using it about 6-7 years ago and its the best sunscreen we have ever used, its like a shield. It is expensive, but worth its weight in gold, IMHO. Here is an older article...but good summary of Mexoryl based sunscreens:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-..._b_618327.html

If you have fair skin...I cannot think of a better sunscreen. It can be found online for purchase.

More information, did not realize Mexoryl is exclusive to LOreal brand as they invented/patented it. Guess you learn something new everyday...

http://antheliosonline.com/mexoryl-article/

Happy sunbathing....

Plenty of shade with the pagodas on the island, but go out first thing. Apply sunscreen before leaving your room to allow it to activate. Then apply again, often, especially after coming out of the water. She can wear a really big hat!
    Vicky