Default Activies/Extra money/valuables/Security

Will be visiting CTI for my first time at a couples resort. I was wondering about how much extra money to bring, as it is an all inclusive, but know that there are other amenities that you can pay for.

For traveling outside of the resort (dunns river falls, blue hole, etc), how safe is it to travel? Do we just bring the cash we need? Are credit cards the best resort?

Lastly, for valuables in the rooms. Has there ever been any issue with security of leaving personal items, jewelry, wallets in the room?

Thanks for all the help. First timer looking for some info.

Default Jamaica is safe

Quote Originally Posted by jdloushin View Post
    Will be visiting CTI for my first time at a couples resort. I was wondering about how much extra money to bring, as it is an all inclusive, but know that there are other amenities that you can pay for.

For traveling outside of the resort (dunns river falls, blue hole, etc), how safe is it to travel? Do we just bring the cash we need? Are credit cards the best resort?

Lastly, for valuables in the rooms. Has there ever been any issue with security of leaving personal items, jewelry, wallets in the room?

Thanks for all the help. First timer looking for some info.
    Jamaica is safe when traveling with reputable tour company of licensed taxi. I would not rent a car and go exploring on my own....just my opinion....I know some people do this
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

The amount of money you bring is up to you. Tips- bus driver and guides for any tours you go on. At the airport it is suggested you tip $1 (US)/bag to the porter who takes your luggage to the bus. At the hotel there are vendors from whom you can buy trinkets. The hotel gift shop accepts credit cards or you can charge to your room. If you wish to purchase tours, other than those included, you can use a credit card. It is safe to travel with drivers arranged by the hotel. There is a safe in your room. We have never had a problem.

Its a cashless system at couples on resort so you can put your valuables in the safe and leave them there. The only time you might need some cash on resort is to tip the salon and spa ladies.
    For Dunns, you can tip the driver and couple bucks and there is a gauntlet of a market at the end. Don't let anyone put anything in your hand or you'll have to buy it. I think you can bypass the market if you want to. Its safe to travel off resort but go during the day.
    You will have to put $300 on hold when you check in and most people just give them your credit card number. If you don't buy anything on resort, your cc isn't charged.
    Last edited by softail19; May 10th, 2016 at 08:30 PM.

We take very little cash. Just like any hotel they have room safes and you leave a cc at the front desk and can charge at the resort. If you want to buy stuff from vendors then you need cash. Duns River is included in the price at CTI so you will only need a couple of dollars for tips. All of the stores locally and at the airport also take credit cards.

We usually bring $700 or $800. We don't do off site excursions and we usually come back with $300 or so. We spend most of our money in the airport on food and a few gifts for family. I have accidentally left the safe open a couple of times and never had anything stolen.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21