Default Couples on another island?

I know the Couples Barbados did not work out but would love to know if Couples plans to expand the Couples experience we love to another island any time soon? We hope so, as it would be great to see our favorite resort on new islands in the Caribbean. We feel Couples is the affordable alternative to the "S" chain with no drop off of service or quality. Please let us know if anything is on the horizon?

Also, where would faithful Couples family members like to see a new resort open up? So many islands...so little time.

Having been to other islands (St Lucia, Grenada, Antigua, Barbados) multiple times, we find the vibe and the people on each of them very different. We like them all for different reasons and when there, we stay in island specific resorts (not in multi island chain hotels). We like Jamaica for its music, its scenery and most of all, the vibrancy of its people. We find this same vibrancy is reflected in the Couples resorts and I dont think you can export it successfully. For us, Couples on another island would not be Couples. For this reason I think Couples should stay in Jamaica and remain a Jamaican boutique resort chain. If they feel they need to expand, it would be nice to see a Couples resort over in the east of the island, perhaps towards Port Antonio, but I realise that this would be a problem because of the distance from the airports in Kingston and Mo Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    I know the Couples Barbados did not work out but would love to know if Couples plans to expand the Couples experience we love to another island any time soon? We hope so, as it would be great to see our favorite resort on new islands in the Caribbean. We feel Couples is the affordable alternative to the "S" chain with no drop off of service or quality. Please let us know if anything is on the horizon?

Also, where would faithful Couples family members like to see a new resort open up? So many islands...so little time.
    They tried it in Barbados and it didn't work out so I think they will be very slow to expand to another island in the future.
    I think it's the Jamaican vibe that really makes Couples work...
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    They tried it in Barbados and it didn't work out so I think they will be very slow to expand to another island in the future.
    I think it's the Jamaican vibe that really makes Couples work...
    Actually, Couples was leasing the property in the Barbados when they began renovations and booking guests. Sandals then came in and bought the property, which is why Couples did not continue.

We went to Couples Barbados....in fact some of the staff from Couples in Jamaica were working there. It was great...I think Couples took bookings before the resort had been properly renovated and received bad feedback.
    When we went the renovations were done. Beach was not as nice as Negril but Barbados is lovely. We hired a car and drove around freely, day or night. Something we would not do in Jamaica. If Couples Barbados still existed I would go back in a heartbeat!

I would love to see a Couples Resort on another island! I was just talking to my husband about how much I love Couples, but want to visit some other locations next time we travel. Expansion would be great!

Having also been to Antigua and St. Lucia and Aruba, the specific island doesn't matter much to me. Of the 3 I mentioned, I think St. Lucia comes closest to the Jamaican vibe people like, and I can easily visualize a resort with a CSS feel in that rain forest island. Bottom line, they'll decide if the right property at the right price becomes available at the right time.

Default Coupled Tried St Lucia Before

Back in the 1980s there was a Couples Resort in St Lucia. I do not know what happened; so, perhaps the old-timers could tell us about that one.

For me, I was interested in Couples in Jamaica (Couples Ocho Rios [COR] was the only one then) because of the 'au naturel' island at COR and would not have gone to St Lucia when it was in operation since nudity was not allowed anywhere on St Lucia, as it is not allowed still on almost all of the Caribbean islands.

Also, Couples resorts should be synonymous with 'au naturel' activities and there should be that option at future Couples properties.

I wrote in another post some time recently that the Couples brand should be unique to Jamaica and should not be taken elsewhere. This would mean having other Couples resorts set up strategically in Jamaica.

When one says 'Couples', that should be understood to mean Jamaica.

Maybe Michelle at Couples can update us on the Couples St Lucia experiment. I have a brochure still from Couples St Lucia as well as a Couples Ocho Rios brochure from 1981 along with the weekly yes, weekly rates at the time for COR.
    Last edited by clydealp; April 26th, 2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: To add a last line

Quote Originally Posted by Iriemon View Post
    Having also been to Antigua and St. Lucia and Aruba, the specific island doesn't matter much to me. Of the 3 I mentioned, I think St. Lucia comes closest to the Jamaican vibe people like, and I can easily visualize a resort with a CSS feel in that rain forest island. Bottom line, they'll decide if the right property at the right price becomes available at the right time.
    I agree with you about St. Lucia being the most like Jamaica in vibe.

I think that it is harder and more expensive for US and Canadians to fly to the western Carribean islands. When we went to St Lucia there were very few US guests in our resort.

For us, in the UK, the flight prices do not vary .....same price to Antigua, Barbados, St Kitts, Jamaica.

We were at the St. Lucia Couples in the 80's. The best I can say is that St, Lucia is an absolutely gorgeous island. As for Couples.... It's pretty sad when my wife Jane taught the reggae dance class because no one on the staff knew how. We'll stick to Couples Jamaica.

Is IOWA an island? I guess the beach would stink...

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Beach-bum View Post
    Is IOWA an island? I guess the beach would stink...

Life is good
    I don't think the beach at Lake Red Rock here in Iowa would be very appealing in February. There wouldn't be any swimming but you could go for a hike on the lake on top of the foot of ice.