Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mosquitoes!

Default mosquitoes!

how are the mosquitoes? i am coming in a few weeks and am nervous about zika. any advice or recommendations on bug spray to use?

There are no mosquitoes at Couples, you will find sand fleas, but stay away from the beach at dusk, dawn and after a rainfall and you will be fine.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Sawyer with picardin seems to work pretty great for me and lacks the nastiness of deet products.

BTW there haven't been any cases in Jamaica yet from what I heard. The mosquito has to bite someone with it, to transfer it to you.

Pretty spooky disease- I mentioned to my wife the other day, if we were still having children-makes the trip a bit of a concern. Obviously there are mosquitoes- there are active cases of zika in Jamaica , and the government appears to be aggressively attacking the problem. I generally have only noticed them while on the deck at night, and while at CSA, we have the ceiling fan on high to help mitigate the problem(along with burning the citronella candles). My wife did a bit of research on sprays a couple of times, and Repel has a product that Consumer Report rates very high- called Lemon Eucalyptus. Was pretty effective for us, and doesn't smell aweful. If we were actively trying to get pregnant, im not sure what we'd do frankly.

There are mosquitos at CSS. The first year we went we made the mistake of getting ready for supper with the windows open our first night. We attracted so many mosquitos from the bathroom light, and then couldn't kill all of them. I finished that trip with 20-30 bites on each arm (because I sleep with my arms outside the covers). Plus more bites on my legs. After that, we just keep our windows closed until after we turn the lights out, and have not had any problems with mosquitos in our room since then. I still spray down for supper because they LOVE me, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as that first year. However, I have read the mosquitos that carry Zika are a different species. These ones are normally active during the day and hang out indoors. Not your normal outside dusk time mosquitos. We take Off Active spray, since it is sweat resistant. This year I am also going to try a recipe of coconut oil mixed with peppermint oil and see how that works

Our First trip to CTI we had a 1st floor room in building 4 and we could not sit on our balcony in the evenings because the mosquitoes were so bad. Our 2nd trip to CTI they did not bother us at all. If there is a good breeze blowing they will not be around.

Not sure about you Juli....but I have seen and been bit by plenty of mosquitoes at CSS. They're not the larger ones we have in Wisconsin and I haven't felt many of them, but they were definitely there when we were! But I do second the advice about staying away from the beach. Been there, done that....and learned the hard way!

laur, I believe there is another thread about bug spray that may have a little more information as to what works for each individual. I've loaded up on my Avon Bug Wipes with Picardin. 11 more days!
    CSS 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

What time of year are the mosquitoes out there? Doesn't it depend on what time of year you go too?

Has anyone noticed if the mosquitoes are worse on the first floor room compared to a third floor room? Would we have better luck being mosquito free when enjoying a third floor balcony (if we were lucky enough to get one) vs. a first floor balcony?

Jamaica is in the tropics, so while the numbers may vary, there are always mosquitoes. If my wife and I were thinking of having children, I just wouldn't go. Yes, the odds of getting infected are very low. Is the risk really worth it? If you are thinking you might still have children, do your research and give it very serious thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dawi View Post
    Not sure about you Juli....but I have seen and been bit by plenty of mosquitoes at CSS. They're not the larger ones we have in Wisconsin and I haven't felt many of them, but they were definitely there when we were! But I do second the advice about staying away from the beach. Been there, done that....and learned the hard way!

laur, I believe there is another thread about bug spray that may have a little more information as to what works for each individual. I've loaded up on my Avon Bug Wipes with Picardin. 11 more days!
    Hi Dawi ~ I've been to Jamaica almost every year since 2000 and stayed at all the Couples resorts, different times of the year. I've never seen a mosquito, so I'm surprised to hear others say they have. Now, I have experienced sand fleas, but never mosquitoes. Guess I've been lucky!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I would hesitate to say there are no mosquitoes, however, we are in that group of visitors that have never been bothered by them....not one single bite. We do usually start taking extra B vitamins about 2 weeks before we leave. Have never had an issue with them in the room before either....we have seen little geckos in our rooms, maybe that is the secret, LOL!
    Sand fleas on the other hand keep us off the beach in the evenings.
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

We just came home from CTI and we didnot see any mosquitoes,I'm not saying there not there.But we didnot have a problem with them. We sat out every morning and night.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    Hi Dawi ~ I've been to Jamaica almost every year since 2000 and stayed at all the Couples resorts, different times of the year. I've never seen a mosquito, so I'm surprised to hear others say they have. Now, I have experienced sand fleas, but never mosquitoes. Guess I've been lucky!
    I have to admit those little buggers know I'm a blood donor...and i donate often!
    CSS 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by laur_bend View Post
    how are the mosquitoes? i am coming in a few weeks and am nervous about zika. any advice or recommendations on bug spray to use?
    Never saw a mosquito in 6 trips. Kinda strange really...

We usually visit Jan/Feb.

Mosquitos are not as prevalent on site as off site.

Don't seem to be any at CSA though the sand flies on the beach can get you.

They are there at CTI and we usually ask for an upper room to avoid them but not massive numbers.

Used to always get bitten by mosquitos when I had a massage in the old COR days but much better with the new spa.
    Kevin & Sylvie
    COR 2003, 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015
    CSA 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015
    CSS 2007
    CN 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Iriemon View Post
    If my wife and I were thinking of having children, I just wouldn't go. Yes, the odds of getting infected are very low. Is the risk really worth it? If you are thinking you might still have children, do your research and give it very serious thought.
    It's not something that sticks around forever, and I believe it's said to be fine to have kids at least 3 months after exposure. Also this is coming to the US in the summer for sure from what I've read.

When we went to CN in 2012 there were mosquitos (not sure what the situation is like now though). We're due to arrive at CSS this weekend and we're also a little concerned about the Zika virus, so I emailed CSS via Trip Advisor asking what the mosquito population is like there and got this (reassuring!) reply:

"Mosquito population is somewhat dependent on the weather but we do our best to keep that population in check. When necessary, we will implement pest control protocols to ensure that our guests are comfortable.

Nicholas Lynch
    Operations Manager"

I can only assume they implement this system in all four hotels? Just make sure you take all the usual precautions to stay bite free and I'm sure everything will be fine. That's our plan at least!

As others have said, sand fleas are worse...and out in droves at dawn and dusk. We are on the beach at sunrise if not sooner and I used Deep Woods Off this time (April) and wasn't bitten at all, but saw them. YES there are mosquitoes...it's the tropics. They're out moreso after a rain, and in standing water. Spray your feet and up to knees.

In September I use a different OFF product, which more aptly should have been named ON ....bitten a lot!

While im certain the people responding to this thread mean well- I certainly hope you take the time and visit either the CDC or WHO sites to get real answers. This isn't about headaches and a rash, it's about potentially having an invalid on your hands for the rest of your life .

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/...-virus-jamaica

Here's the most up to date guidance.

Mosquitos tend to remain close to the ground, so upper level rooms are at less risk than lower level rooms.

We just returned from CN. We had issues with mosquitoes everywhere on the resort. Even in our 3rd floor room. And, they were in the indoor restaurants. I did see the staff fogging one area of the resort and they sprayed the beach the of the morning beach party. So, take bug spray and use it after 4:00 in the afternoons.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    There are no mosquitoes at Couples, you will find sand fleas, but stay away from the beach at dusk, dawn and after a rainfall and you will be fine.
    There most certainally are mosquitoes at Couples CTI. Bring lots of bug repellant! I seem to be a bug magnet. If I didn't put the spray on after sunset I was bombarded! Especially at the Monday night beach party.

Been to CSS multiple times and have never seen a mosquito! I always bring my bug repellant oils from dōTERRA but have never used it! And we've never had sand flea problem either though we are asleep still at dawn and getting ready for dinner usually at dawn but we walk the beach every night after dinner. As others have said do your research, and make the choice on your own! Wish you the best!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast