Default Tower Isle Review

Just got back! I depended on this board to prepare me, so here are my thoughts for those of you planning a trip! Hope it helps! We went to Tower Isle in Ocho Rios. A note to those who have their favorites: when we landed in Montego Bay, it seemed everyone we met told us, “You should’ve gone to Negril!” Come on, don’t ruin my excitement by telling me I should’ve picked a different place!

Arrival: Jamaican customs looked like a long line, but we got through it in 15 minutes. We had a beer in the Couples lounge, and then the driver was there to take us to the resort. I went back and forth on Club Mobay, but I’m glad I didn’t bother. Make sure you contact the resort a few days prior to your trip to ensure someone is coming to get you! I almost missed that on the website. The trip to Couples Tower Isle was about an hour and a half. Recommend making the pit stop – we got another drink to go! When we got to Couples, they were waiting with a towel and a drink, and had us checked in within ten minutes.

Room: The room was beautiful! We had a Garden View, and this was fine. It maybe would’ve been nice to look on the ocean, but we were actually out there 99% of our stay when awake anyway, so not worth the extra money for us. Be warned – when you fill out your form for your alcohol stash, they give you full size bottles! We were thinking they’d be small and ordered just about everything! The first night, we were exhausted and went to bed early, only to be surprised by the turn-down service! Hang out your Do Not Disturb sign if you go to bed early!! Ha!

Didn’t need: towel clips (the towels tuck under the chair mat just fine), bug spray (they confiscated it at the airport and I didn’t need it anyway), big cups (they give you big water bottles you can use for drinks on the beach), straws (they have straws, they just don’t bend), extra shoes (flip-flops would’ve been fine for the restaurants)

Glad I had: beach bag (used my carry-on), Kindle PaperWhite (worked like a charm), waterproof disposable camera ($6 on Amazon), binoculars (but I wish I’d bought a nicer pair), conditioner (the shampoo they have is good), a cute swimsuit cover up (pretty much lived in this), a light sweater (evenings can get a little cool), a shirt from my home state (met lots of fellow Badgers this way!)

Dunn’s River Falls: HIGHLY recommend! This was a highlight, and you’re back within 2.5 hours. They stop on the way to buy water shoes, and they’re nice and Jamaican colors for only $10. You are actually IN the waterfall, not on a path beside it like I thought. OSHA totally would shut them down in the USA! SO fun! The vendors when you leave are kind of aggressive, but it’s fun, and we got a good deal on a shirt and dress. If you decide to go, just go to the lobby at 9:00. It’s FREE, just plan on tipping the guide $5-$10.

Restaurants: the buffet was great, the beach dinner is on Monday night and is beautiful, Seven Rivers was excellent, the Veggie Bar was awesome, the Pool Bar had good grilled cheese and onion rings, and Bayside was Asian cuisine – honestly the best meal of my entire life. Make your dinner reservations as soon as you arrive! We didn’t get a chance to try the Verandah.

Drinks: try the Jamaican Smile! It’s a Pina Colada and Strawberry Daquiri mix. Yummy! All the bars and bartenders were great! They had a martini bar – not sure if this is every Sunday night, but it’s great!!! Even if you don’t know if you like martinis, GO! So awesome and fun! The variety of drinks is just about endless, and they have lots of top shelf booze.

The Island: Go! We went just to say we did. We stayed 15 minutes, wasn’t our thing, but at least we tried it. Why not?! If you’re totally anti-nude, we heard you can go at 8:30 AM clothed if you just want to check out the island. Do it; it’s really cool!

The Beach: There are plenty of lounge chairs, and the water is beautiful! The sand is nice, too. Not as long as Negril, apparently, but we loved it. Also, I was a little nervous since all the pictures show 5’10” size 2 models – NOT the case! There are couples of all ages and sizes. 

Activities: In the buffet area, they have a whiteboard that they update every morning with all of the activities going on each day. They also give you really helpful info in your room and explain things really well.

Return Home: they do shuttle you quite early back to the airport, but I’m a nervous traveler, so this is fine. You can sign a waiver to go later. We had three hours at the airport, but the shops and restaurants there are VERY plentiful so we had no problem killing time there. The prices at the airport shops were great, too. If you’re flying into Atlanta, hopefully you have a lot of time – wow Customs there is unbelievably horrible!

Overall: We were THRILLED! We’d be happy to return to Tower Isle but probably will try another resort just for fun, next time we go, but will DEFINITELY CHOOSE COUPLES!

Thanks for the review! We are heading to CTI in April, and haven't been before (have been to CSA once). The beach in Negril is awesome, but I'm looking forward to the beach at CTI since it is more private. Sounds more relaxing to me

Reading your review has me even more excited to go. I want to start packing now!

Thank you for your review. I have been enjoying reading reviews in anticipation of our trip in 29 days to CTI. We will also be flying into Atlanta with only an hour layover. I'm a little nervous now. How long of a layover did you have?

Quote Originally Posted by BrookN View Post
    Thank you for your review. I have been enjoying reading reviews in anticipation of our trip in 29 days to CTI. We will also be flying into Atlanta with only an hour layover. I'm a little nervous now. How long of a layover did you have?
    Brook,
    When we flew into ATL it took us over an hour to get through customs. I'd allow 2 hours on the return trip. 1 hour is fine on the way to Jamaica.

We had two hours and made it to the gate just as they began boarding. That was a Tuesday, flying in at 2 and leaving at 4. Hopefully you have better luck than we did!!

You'll have so much fun at CTI - I'm excited for everyone going!

Quote Originally Posted by kari7178 View Post
    Seven Rivers was excellent
    Great review! I hope CTI is not downsizing. The premiere restaurant used to be Eight Rivers. They only have seven now?

Quote Originally Posted by kari7178 View Post
    If you’re flying into Atlanta, hopefully you have a lot of time – wow Customs there is unbelievably horrible!
    awesome news \s

guess i will plan for a long stay at the airport before they let me drive home lol

We have thrown through Atlanta several times. If you are going through on your way to Jamaica an hour is fine. If you are coming back into the US, then an hour is really too short. Most of the times we went through customs in Atlanta there were some really long lines. I would say at least 2 hours on the way into the US.
    Linda

For a departure flight, I think an hour in Atlanta is okay if you are familiar with the airport. I like having extra time to grab some food and breathe though (I get stressed when travelling).
    In 2014 our return flight had a 3.5 hour layover. At first I thought this was insanely long, but after getting through customs and grabbing some food, they were already boarding our plane. That 3.5 hours went by super fast! So if it's a return, I would definitely want more time.

The fastest we've done Atlanta's customs was about 40 minutes, but we were lucky enough to have traveled first class so we were first off the plane and got to go through the shorter line at security after customs. Our scheduled layover was about an hour and a half, and we thought we'd be cutting it real close because of how big that airport is, turned out we had a half hour to sit before reboarding. Up to you how you want to travel, but we've scheduled a 3 hour layover in Atlanta on our next trip home from Jamaica. We didn't like feeling of being rushed at all and want more time to get something to eat.

I'm curious to know the op's layover time too.

Now I'm quite nervous. Our flight arrives at 7:24pm on a Friday and our next flight leaves at 8:57pm. Yikes!

Now I'm quite nervous. Our flight arrives at 7:24pm on a Friday and our next flight leaves at 8:57pm. Yikes!
    Have you called the airline and got their opinion? Hope it works out for you.
    CTI - 07, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18, 21

Quote Originally Posted by bksmm View Post
    Great review! I hope CTI is not downsizing. The premiere restaurant used to be Eight Rivers. They only have seven now?
    Hahahahahah oops! Guess all that Jamaican rum went to my head! Still EIGHT Rivers! And still excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by doncindy View Post
    Have you called the airline and got their opinion? Hope it works out for you.
    We booked through Costco, I called them and they sounded confident that we could make it work. I'm not going to try and worry over it anymore. I'm too excited to just get to CTI.

Default Tower Isle

I had to laugh when I read about the "you should have gone to Negril" comments. We went to CTI in 2013, and then went to Negril in 2015...and there were many things we liked better about CTI. We had a great time both trips mind you, but each resort has it's pluses and minuses. We are considering returning to CTI for our 30th anniversary. It's all good.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by bksmm View Post

Vicky

We've been to all four resorts more than once each. Negril is terrific, no doubt. It was actually our favorite for over ten years. But now, my heart belongs to CTI and in my opinion, the best of all. You can't go wrong whichever resort you pick, you'll have a great time.

Default You can't go wrong

We just got home from our first visit to CTI , previously having enjoyed a week at CSA. Honestly, we love them both and will go back to both in a heartbeat. All of of the "worry" I experienced before our visit after reading comments here was horse hockey. CTI is incredibly intimate and romantic and classy. I would/have recommended both locations on the island to anyone, they are both unique but incredibly beautiful. Id also echo the whole -visit the island on day 1 sentiment. I became a huge fan, it's a relaxed and lovely experience to share with the one you love and like they say it's seriously no big deal, and I have an awesome tan to show for it
    Ps. Seek out and make use of the Buddha pool late at night, just please be quiet and respectful to those around so it's not an issue. It's a hidden gem for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty1909 View Post
    We just got home from our first visit to CTI , previously having enjoyed a week at CSA. Honestly, we love them both and will go back to both in a heartbeat. All of of the "worry" I experienced before our visit after reading comments here was horse hockey. CTI is incredibly intimate and romantic and classy. I would/have recommended both locations on the island to anyone, they are both unique but incredibly beautiful. Id also echo the whole -visit the island on day 1 sentiment. I became a huge fan, it's a relaxed and lovely experience to share with the one you love and like they say it's seriously no big deal, and I have an awesome tan to show for it
    Ps. Seek out and make use of the Buddha pool late at night, just please be quiet and respectful to those around so it's not an issue. It's a hidden gem for sure.
    I'm glad you liked CTI. We have been to all four Couples resorts and it's all about the beach for us. Eight Rivers is the best restaurant out of all four resorts though. We thought CN had the best service and also was very intimate. CSA remains our favorite...the beach. Visit #9 to CSA coming soon.

Life is good