Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

EricW - you and my husband must think a like. We were just laughing at all the different kind of "dress" jeans he could wear, since the only requirement is no rips ! Although I don't know how long either of us would last in jeans in Jamaica.

Just throwing my two cents in that A) I don't feel like jeans of any nature should be allowed in Cassanova or the more formal restaurants on the other resorts, and B) I also feel like dress shorts (and yes, I do believe in dress shorts) should not be allowed in these restaurants also. Keep it to the nice dress slacks. There is nothing wrong with putting on a nice pair of dress pants for dinner once or twice in your trip. If you don't want to put on dress pants, that is why you have Pallazina and Bella Vista, as the more casual options.
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

CSS March 2013, April/May 2014, April 2015, April 2016 Soon Come
    CN April 2014

Default The slope is slippery

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    As with your husband I was willing to be very nicely dressed in khaki DRESS shorts. I hope that some of these fashion police who seem to have a phobia of men's legs are at CN next February to see the "dress jeans" that I am going to be wearing when I show up to Otaheite. In 5 trips to CN I have not dined at Otaheite because I don't leave Iowa in February and go to laid back tropical Jamaica so that I can put long pants on. I was however understanding that they wanted a formal atmosphere so it was no big deal to me. Now they are saying jeans are formal but dress shorts are not which I totally don't agree with so I guess it's "game on" for me. If any of the fashion police are there to turn their nose up at my "dress jeans" that's fine. Maybe I'll even get myself a hat with a big classy pot leaf logo on it too! Dad taught me that there are only 2 people whom you need to care what they think about you, #1 your wife and #2 your boss and my wife is the one who is encouraging me to do this so life is good :-)
    Good luck with your tantrum!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    So the only requirement is no rips? The dress code should have been left alone - a pair of dress pants, no hats, nice shoes, collared shirt. I can't wait to see all the faded and blinged out denim at dinner (because the only requirement is no rips to make them "dress Jeans")
    Those still aren't dress jeans, but I do agree that the old code was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    mean while my husband can't wear a nice pair of golfers shorts, because those aren't "dressy" enough.
    Even pro golfers don't wear shorts, FYI.

Those still aren't dress jeans, but I do agree that the old code was fine.

Well the only requirement for jeans is no rips, so apparently any jean without a rip is considered "dress jeans". I know what nice jeans are, but if the dress code is vague and the only requirement is no rips, the jeans are not going to be "dress jeans".

But, it's OK for women to wear dresses so short, you can see to high heaven ???

Seriously, tell me - what exactly is "dressjeans"?
    As a Swede I'm not familiar whith that expression?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlove View Post
    I never got the dressing up for dinner thing. Nice restaurant atmosphere in my opinion is created more by the decor, service and food selections than guest attire. I can remember my meals at Cassanova but not what the other guests were wearing. A couple of (nicely dressed) rowdy drunks would ruin my meal but a couple quietly enjoying their meal in shorts would not.
    Well said!

I liked the idea of having at least one restaurant at each resort with a sophisticated dress code. There are lots of special occasions or events where most people wouldn't where "dress jeans" or "dress shorts". Most upper end restaurants in every city in the world wouldn't allow shorts or jeans. Many require jackets just as Casanova used to. I get that it's vacation and everybody wants to relax and be comfortable. Most dining options allow that. But it's nice to have the option of going someplace special where everybody is dressed nicely.

We just spent 8 nights at CN...and I can't remember a single moment when I noticed how anyone else was dressed. The only concern I had was where to put my palm frond hat (I get one from Dennis every trip) if I accidentally wore it to breakfast or lunch. I won't wear it in the restaurants, so I would usually fine an inconspicuous place to stash it while we ate (and tried to remember to not even bring it at meal time).

Edit: Hmm...perhaps an opportunity to have a small hat rack somewhere near the entrance to the daytime restaurants (assuming evening hats aren't quite as popular). Or, I could just remember to not bring my hat to meals.
    Last edited by Bert; April 20th, 2016 at 01:01 PM.

Precious and I like the dress codes already in place.

Hugs from Tommywommy
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I love to wear shorts too, but we too often forget that a dress code is not meant for personal comfort. It is there to create a certain level of atmosphere for guest and employees at the resort. If shorts are acceptable, asking for thongs would be very soon on the list of further 'improvements'. I am afraid I am bit conservative in this case:-)

We enjoy the more formal dress code. Its nice at the end of the to return to the room and prepare for dinner. I like seeing people dressed in nice clothes. We are sad to hear any type of denim is allowed in the more formal restaurants.

Personally I think opening the code to jeans was wrong. It now makes it more difficult for the staff to determine if the jeans being worn are "dress" jeans or not suitable. Everyone's definition of what is acceptable will be different so puts them in a difficult position.

The dress code I think adds to the atmosphere just as limiting the number of tables for larger groups.

It's all about the ambiance and the food at the best restaurants and for me other guests form part of that ambiance.

I personally don't think shorts should be allowed but maybe that's because it's not the accepted practice where I live (Northern England).

Maybe management could carry out a survey at the restaurants then go with the majority. Would be easy to hand out a card with questions and give a chance for guests to name their waiter as well.

We have always dressed for dinner and wouldn't think of wearing shorts even in the more casual restaurants except for the beach party. Big advantage of wearing long trousers is there's less for the mosquitos to get at!
    Kevin & Sylvie
    COR 2003, 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015
    CSA 2005, 2013, 2014, 2015
    CSS 2007
    CN 2003

People go away for different reasons. Some may want to celebrate an anniversary or other special occasion by dressing up for a romantic dinner. On the other hand, DH and I don't want to get dressed up. He has to wear a suit every day for work, so he just wants to dress casually on vacation. (I don't mean sloppy. He always look neat and well-groomed.)My job requires me to dress in a skirt, dress or nice trousers. On vacation, I like to wear pretty and comfortable sundresses to dinner. We just haven't eaten at Eight Rivers or Feathers on our last trips because we want to be comfortable and we want to adhere to the dress code. If other guests want to have a glamorous evening, they can. We're just as happy to have a relaxed, casual meal. I think the dress code preserves that "special" atmosphere for people who enjoy that sort of thing. Howver, I know what dress jeans are, but I can't imagine wearing them in Jamaica. Way too hot!

I remember the people that were dressed tacky....the dresses that were too tight or too short (those people must not have a mirror in their rooms). I don't remember who was wearing nice shorts or jeans, or whatever else that was in good taste.

Hello! We are first timers arriving June 8th at CTI and after reading these posts for first time tonight I'm worried we've not packed right clothes! Can someone help clarify that you cannot wear hats of any sort to any restaurant? Including cute beach hats? Totally ok with getting dressed up as required (and no hats of course lol) but worried can't grab food at some restaurants in sai suits or shorts and tShirts - or have I misread all this? Just making sure not to bring to much - but to also have right attire! Thanks for any comments - we are super excited to spend our 35th wedding anniversary at CTI!

17. Default

We need to dress according to them???

Quote Originally Posted by TimandDebby View Post
    Hello! We are first timers arriving June 8th at CTI and after reading these posts for first time tonight I'm worried we've not packed right clothes! Can someone help clarify that you cannot wear hats of any sort to any restaurant? Including cute beach hats? Totally ok with getting dressed up as required (and no hats of course lol) but worried can't grab food at some restaurants in sai suits or shorts and tShirts - or have I misread all this? Just making sure not to bring to much - but to also have right attire! Thanks for any comments - we are super excited to spend our 35th wedding anniversary at CTI!
    This reply will come after you get there but you will see that hats are perfectly acceptable for breakfast and lunch at the patio, pool grill and veggie bar. Enjoy!
    Vicky

Our first time going to CSS hubby didn't even pack dress pants to have dinner at Cassanova. We thought "it's too hot forget even eating there!" Since he always packs his slacks because we love that one night to get really fancied up and eat there! And afterwards he goes back to the room puts back on his shorts and we go on with out night, easy as that. And while he has nice jeans, I guess "dress jeans" he would never bring them it's too hot there! A pair of slacks breathe way better than jeans!

We've visited several adults only resorts in Mexico and I have to say that the one resort that required long pants for men but didn't say "no jeans" probably created the poorest dining atmosphere out of them all. We aren't ones to notice or care what others are wearing but "dress jeans" leaves a lot to the imagination as denim gained it's popularity in the industrial and blue collar fields, not as a fine dining attire choice. I live in a small town in Texas, you guys should see what some people consider to be "dress jeans" around here. Can we say bedazzled??? They are obnoxious and hideous and while we don't care if you wear them, we will certainly notice those a lot quicker than we would a pair of nicer shorts. We visited CSA for our first time a month ago and loved our meal at Feathers. We were too busy enjoying each others company to notice anything besides the glitter on the walls and the obnoxious couple that kept ordering shots and screaming to the bartender. It was still a great experience but it almost felt as if the restaurant had an identity crisis. I'd much rather see a polo and cargo shorts than the distracting décor and the lack of managing a rude couple...but that's just us.

I am not in favor of allowing someone to wear shorts or jeans at the nicer restaurants or the gala; and this is coming from someone who is not a fan of long pants on vacation. Part of the reason that my wife and I have done repeat visits to CSS is the level of class that the place maintains. Once we allow shorts, even "dress" shorts, then it snowballs from there. I am not thrilled when we get dressed up for the gala on Friday nights and see people in shorts and t-shirts, as it tends to "lower" the atmosphere.

To go a step further, I would like to see Couples send an email out to all who have a reservation, maybe two weeks prior to check-in, that explains the dress code and the minimums required that are acceptable at the resort. This might aid the "clothing challenged" who think it's OK to wear loud basketball shorts and a sleeveless T to a nice restaurant.

Have some class people!

The dress code police are absolutely hilarious, and this thread is more ridiculous than an Abbott and Costello routine. Judging other peoples' class by what pants they're wearing is not something truly classy people do. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    The dress code police are absolutely hilarious, and this thread is more ridiculous than an Abbott and Costello routine. Judging other peoples' class by what pants they're wearing is not something truly classy people do. Plain and simple.
    Couldn't agree more! The last thing I remember about my previous trips to Couples resorts is the pants my fellow diners were wearing.

While dining at Verandah, we had two guys in baseball caps and one in swim trunks. What can ya say??
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    I'm not sure about this.
    If you're wearing slummy clothes to a classy venue, what shall we presume about you?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast