Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 186
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    what passes for nice jeans (rips and all)
    Swing and a miss. Those are "designer" not "dress".
    Not a rip to be found, and these aren't even tailored. https://www.combatgent.com/denim

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Not a rip to be found, and these aren't even tailored. https://www.combatgent.com/denim
    New Couples Dress Code: gentlemen are requested to be thin hipsters.

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhallva View Post
    I am torn on this issue, but only a little because it matters so little to me. I figure that whatever dress code is set by management I will follow, and if I am not comfortable following it then just will eat at one of the other restaurants. Easy, and respectful of the wishes of management and to those who like the dress code. Not a big issue. But, having said that, I can also say that when I do eat at Otaheite, Casanova, etc... I am always in compliance with the dress code but I don't spend one second of my time there worrying about what others are wearing. It sometimes seems that some folks are not there to enjoy a romantic dinner with their SO as much as to scan the failings of the other guests clothing in order to be upset about it. I would suggest following the dress code out of respect for others, enjoying your dinner, and letting Couples management make decisions about who can eat there and what they should be wearing. Not my job, and I know I can trust Couples to do what they think needs to be done.
    The last thing I will add about this is what I was told by the manager of the nicest restaurant I ever frequented at a resort in Jamaica (Piacere sp? at the now defunct Lido Braco). They used to require a jacket for men in addition to dress pants, shoes, and a nice shirt. If you didn't have a jacket they would loan you one. I hate being that dressed up in Jamaica, but like Otaheite, it was a great dining experience. A large harp sat in one corner and a talented musician would play beautiful, quiet music during dinner and the guest would talk in quiet voices with the people at their table. I asked why the dress code was so strict and the manager told me that the more casually people were dressed in a restaurant the louder and more boisterous they were and that this turned a quiet, romantic dining experience into a gaggle of loud, nearly shouting voices and each person had to talk louder and louder to be heard over the others who had to do the same. My feeling is that this depends on the person more than what they are wearing... but I will admit that having been to a LOT of restaurants at a LOT of resorts since we started going to Jamaica back in the mid-80's that I do see some truth to what he said! But I still don't like to get dressed up on vacation. But one night? No problem. Enjoy, don't complain that you think the dress code is too strict because that is Couples decision, and don't complain about what others wear because that is Couples job, not yours. Just enjoy your dinner.
    Just to show everyone how much the dress code has changed at Couples over the years, back in 2005 when we first visited CSS and the following year when we were married at CSS men had to wear jackets to eat inside at Casanova. If you didn't have one you were given an ill fitting jacket by the restaurant in order to enjoy your meal. 2005 I needed the loaner. 2006 I knew better! The idea that putting on slacks and a collared shirt is "dressing up" amuses me to no end. Really...dressing up???

  4. #79

    Default

    This is an interesting topic for me as a person who doesn't like to wear pants on vacation in Jamaica but I bring them to support the requirement. Based on a recent experience I think Couples should rethink the pants requirement for the Repeaters dinner. At the time the resort had far more repeaters than normal and the dinner (which was EXCELLENT) was held outside with humid threat of rain. To ensure the guests didn't get rained on, Couples put up plastic sides which reduced airflow. When the guests arrived and the threat of rain passed these sides were removed but there was still no airflow. IT WAS HOT and I'm a sweater. Because it was so uncomfortable for us and was preventing us from enjoying the meal to the fullest, another guy and I went back to our rooms and changed into shorts and this helped. However, I don't want to see people at the nicer indoor restaurants in ball caps--the pants requirements helps keep this in check. Besides, I know my wife and other ladies like a chance to put on a dress and jewelry on their nice vacation. I think Couples strikes a nice balance of letting us be relaxed but also having the option to dress up for an elegant experience when we want to.
    Todd_in_NC
    CN 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016
    CN Feb 2017

  5. #80

    Default

    I had the same experience at the same restaurant rckbert, but is was back when CSS was GLSS. I think the old Lido dress code was adopted there for a while after Couples took over. Not sure when they changed it to get rid of the jacket part of the dress code... I don't miss the jacket part!
    Roy

  6. #81

    Default

    While you're complaining about having to wear long pants for a couple of hours to enjoy a meal, think of what the staff is having to wear to help make your meal enjoyable. What someone wears to dinner doesn't bother me but my hubby and I don't mind dressing for dinner and 8 Rivers is one of our favorites. There are dress codes for many places including country clubs and fancy restaurants here at home.It's more about setting the atmosphere. At CTI if you don't want to wear long pants to dinner with a collared shirt and closed toe shoes, there is the Verandah, the Patio and Bayside as well as room service where you can eat sans any pants. It's your choice. Enjoy! Life is too short.
    Vicky

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    New Couples Dress Code: gentlemen are requested to be thin hipsters.
    Even though I wear tailored jeans and comb my beard, this tickled me. I'll still wear slacks to dinner.
    Found the guys getting ready for dinner in their "dress shorts". Ooh la-la!

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vickyj View Post
    While you're complaining about having to wear long pants for a couple of hours to enjoy a meal, think of what the staff is having to wear to help make your meal enjoyable.
    EXACTLY!!! If people went to eat at Cassanova, and their waiter came up in dress shorts to serve their wine, I bet they would throw a fit!! And they have to wear pants ALL DAY!!! not just for the couple hours that a couple might be eating.
    Is this Love that I'm feelin'?

    CSS March 2013, April/May 2014, April 2015, April 2016 Soon Come
    CN April 2014

  9. #84

    Default

    Did you ladies read the original post??? It had nothing to do with complaining about wearing pants. My whole point was if jeans are allowed now, why not nice shorts. Jeans are not dressy or classy by any stretch of the imagination. It wasn't about the dress pants! I feel like I'm having a conversation with a kindergartener who only hears what they want.

  10. #85

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    Did you ladies read the original post??? It had nothing to do with complaining about wearing pants. My whole point was if jeans are allowed now, why not nice shorts. Jeans are not dressy or classy by any stretch of the imagination. It wasn't about the dress pants! I feel like I'm having a conversation with a kindergartener who only hears what they want.
    I think "not receptive to change" would be a better way to describe them. Perception of what is considered to be stylish and "dressed up" changes over each generation. As somebody who will turn 40 in 2 months I can remember my Grandfather mowing his yard in slacks. Now I am starting to notice young people in their early 20's with a considerably different sense of fashion than I am used to. They probably make fun of me for dressing like an old man. Moral of the story=like or not history tells us that there will be change regarding what is acceptable when it comes to dressing up.

  11. #86

    Default

    I think couples is wrong about this. Jeans don't belong and neither do shorts.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    Did you ladies read the original post??? It had nothing to do with complaining about wearing pants. My whole point was if jeans are allowed now, why not nice shorts. Jeans are not dressy or classy by any stretch of the imagination. It wasn't about the dress pants! I feel like I'm having a conversation with a kindergartener who only hears what they want.
    Please do not get offensive as you are also missing the point of most replies here. If you read through the posts you will see most people feel the allowance of jeans was a step backwards and wrong as they are not dressier clothing. At the same time, two wrongs don't make a right by again lowering the standard to include shorts. We did not miss your point about jeans. We just feel shorts fall in the same category. Let's all show some respect for other's opinions as this is a message board where you are sharing your questions or comments with other guests to get their replies and opinions and not just those of management.

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    Please do not get offensive as you are also missing the point of most replies here. If you read through the posts you will see most people feel the allowance of jeans was a step backwards and wrong as they are not dressier clothing. At the same time, two wrongs don't make a right by again lowering the standard to include shorts. We did not miss your point about jeans. We just feel shorts fall in the same category. Let's all show some respect for other's opinions as this is a message board where you are sharing your questions or comments with other guests to get their replies and opinions and not just those of management.
    Offensive?????? Your side of the argument is the one who gets defensive and attacks any man who suggests that changes could be made to the dress code so that he can wear dress shorts at all of the restaurants. I always notice that most "not all" of the people who attack anybody who suggests changes could be made to allow dress shorts is a woman who is able to wear a light airy dress. My wife wants to wear dress shorts as well so please don't again demand that I dress up out of respect to my wife because it is not an issue to her.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston23x View Post
    the only reason me and my wife wont be eating at casanova when we get there is because of the dress code. we have no intentions of dressing up at all during our vacation there. however with that said i do not have a problem with the dress code.
    I totally agree... You are in the tropics and it gets HOT. There really is no good reason a man wouldn't be allowed to wear nice shorts to dinner.

    Just my 2 cents.

    D.

  15. #90

    Default

    Bottom line is imo, shorts aren't dressy and either are jeans but at least they are covering the legs (on men). Keep it classy Couples

  16. #91

    Default

    My linen slacks do not make me any hotter than any pair of shorts would.

  17. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    My whole point was if jeans are allowed now, why not nice shorts. Jeans are not dressy or classy by any stretch of the imagination.
    Still incorrect, but I'm not going to sell you on jeans, nor do I need to. "Dress shorts" are a myth for men. Tailored, fitting, clean cut jeans are very real.

    Instead of your imagination, you could just use fashion trends.
    Quote Originally Posted by softail19 View Post
    I think couples is wrong about this. Jeans don't belong and neither do shorts.
    Still agree. Let's keep it classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Offensive?????? Your side of the argument is the one who gets defensive and attacks any man who suggests that changes could be made to the dress code so that he can wear dress shorts at all of the restaurants. I always notice that most "not all" of the people who attack anybody who suggests changes could be made to allow dress shorts is a woman who is able to wear a light airy dress. My wife wants to wear dress shorts as well so please don't again demand that I dress up out of respect to my wife because it is not an issue to her.
    Women should be allowed to wear "dress shorts" as that's a proper, fashionable thing. Heck, Google "dress shorts" and notice the near absence of males. Here are the image results.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=dres...=1920&bih=1079

  18. #93

    Default

    Just do away with pants and shorts completely. Please do bring your beach towel to sit on!
    A trip we took on a sailing yacht several years ago for our 25th anniversary had these packing tips - looks like an option for men to wear light dresses too!

    "Packing
    The order of the day is casual and most of us put on shorts and a T-shirt after diving or just change into a dry swimsuit. Shoes are only needed for going ashore and then sandals are the best bet. As dinner is a sit down occasion and a highlight of the day, we ask guests to put on a smart shirt or a light dress."

  19. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Offensive?????? Your side of the argument is the one who gets defensive and attacks any man who suggests that changes could be made to the dress code so that he can wear dress shorts at all of the restaurants. I always notice that most "not all" of the people who attack anybody who suggests changes could be made to allow dress shorts is a woman who is able to wear a light airy dress. My wife wants to wear dress shorts as well so please don't again demand that I dress up out of respect to my wife because it is not an issue to her.
    I should have been clearer. Offensive just meant people arguing or criticizing back and forth with other guests while expecting a result from Couples. I say this because you do not actually interact with Couples management much here on the message board but mainly get other guests' opinions and they will vary from person to person. There are 89 replies to this thread and none that I see are from Couples who are the only ones who can make a change. I actually think this message board is better for tips and ideas than it is for changes from management. There are email addresses for each resort on the Couples' site and here is the email for Carrie who runs the message board: Carrie@couples.com. Perhaps you would have a better chance asking directly to them? Try not to get upset over other peoples' comments but just take them for what they are...opinions.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    374
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Thank you all for sharing your comments/feedback and suggestions regarding our revision of the dress code. After careful consideration, we have decided that Dress Shorts will NOT be included as an option.

    Again, we are appreciative of your feedback and look forward to your continued support and thank you for your understanding.

    Regards,

    Michelle G
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

  21. #96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    Thank you all for sharing your comments/feedback and suggestions regarding our revision of the dress code. After careful consideration, we have decided that Dress Shorts will NOT be included as an option.

    Again, we are appreciative of your feedback and look forward to your continued support and thank you for your understanding.

    Regards,

    Michelle G
    Why not bag jeans too? No shorts doesn't offend me, but lets not pretend jeans are fancy.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    374
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Hi El Duderino,

    I do believe there are "dressy" jeans as personally I do own some that I do wear depending on the occasion that are nicer than the ones I may wear on a regular basis. As long as jeans are not ripped, they are fine to wear in the restaurant.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

  23. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisJamie View Post
    Still incorrect, but I'm not going to sell you on jeans, nor do I need to. "Dress shorts" are a myth for men. Tailored, fitting, clean cut jeans are very real.

    Instead of your imagination, you could just use fashion trends.


    Still agree. Let's keep it classy.


    Women should be allowed to wear "dress shorts" as that's a proper, fashionable thing. Heck, Google "dress shorts" and notice the near absence of males. Here are the image results.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=dres...=1920&bih=1079

    Thanks - but I don't need help with "fashion trends". I am fully aware of what is fashionable and what isn't. The dress code should have just been left alone.
    Last edited by sweetlastname; March 23rd, 2016 at 01:39 PM.

  24. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleG 'Island Girl' View Post
    Hi El Duderino,

    I do believe there are "dressy" jeans as personally I do own some that I do wear depending on the occasion that are nicer than the ones I may wear on a regular basis. As long as jeans are not ripped, they are fine to wear in the restaurant.
    So the only requirement is no rips? The dress code should have been left alone - a pair of dress pants, no hats, nice shoes, collared shirt. I can't wait to see all the faded and blinged out denim at dinner (because the only requirement is no rips to make them "dress Jeans"), mean while my husband can't wear a nice pair of golfers shorts, because those aren't "dressy" enough.
    Last edited by sweetlastname; March 23rd, 2016 at 01:40 PM.

  25. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    So the only requirement is no rips? The dress code should have been left alone - a pair of dress pants, no hats, nice shoes, collared shirt. I can't wait to see all the faded and blinged out denim at dinner (because the only requirement is no rips to make them "dress Jeans"), mean while my husband can't wear a nice pair of golfers shorts, because those aren't "dressy" enough.
    As with your husband I was willing to be very nicely dressed in khaki DRESS shorts. I hope that some of these fashion police who seem to have a phobia of men's legs are at CN next February to see the "dress jeans" that I am going to be wearing when I show up to Otaheite. In 5 trips to CN I have not dined at Otaheite because I don't leave Iowa in February and go to laid back tropical Jamaica so that I can put long pants on. I was however understanding that they wanted a formal atmosphere so it was no big deal to me. Now they are saying jeans are formal but dress shorts are not which I totally don't agree with so I guess it's "game on" for me. If any of the fashion police are there to turn their nose up at my "dress jeans" that's fine. Maybe I'll even get myself a hat with a big classy pot leaf logo on it too! Dad taught me that there are only 2 people whom you need to care what they think about you, #1 your wife and #2 your boss and my wife is the one who is encouraging me to do this so life is good :-)
    Last edited by EricW; March 23rd, 2016 at 07:18 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •