Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

i understand not wanting to dress up, i myself do not want to dress up while on vacation, however because i do not want to dress up i will not be going to casanova restaurant when i am there. i dont understand why some people feel the rules should not apply to them simply because they are on vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Boston23x View Post
    i understand not wanting to dress up, i myself do not want to dress up while on vacation, however because i do not want to dress up i will not be going to casanova restaurant when i am there. i dont understand why some people feel the rules should not apply to them simply because they are on vacation
    I don't think it's so much that people don't want the rules to apply to them, it's more that people want the rule allowing "dress jeans" but not dress shorts to be changed.

I'm interested in going to the Repeater's Dinner as this will be our first trip as repeaters! But I don't have appropriate heels, and the only ones I have that would really work will add weight and take up room in my luggage. Also makes me feel guilty wearing a light, flowing dress with heels when my husband has to wear long pants and closed toed shoes. So I'm not sure we'll end up doing to the Repeater's Dinner, which is disappointing

So they're allowing hats, sandals and jeans now in the "nicer" restaurants but not a nice pair of shorts? The only mention of what is not allowed anymore in the "nicer" restaurants are sneakers, flip flops and shorts.

The original context of the thread was jeans versus nice shorts - nothing to do with dress pants. Jeans are not any nicer or "dressier" then a nice pair of golf type shorts. We know what is expected of the dress codes and always abide.

BTW my husband would rather wear a pair of dress pants over jeans in the tropics any day. Neither of us will be found in Jamaica in jeans.

I always take dressy shorts---Air Jordan's that I wear to work out every morning at the gym at CSA. But in all seriousness Susie and I do dress up every night no matter what restaurant we are dining at (We haven't been to Feather's in years) as to us it adds to the ambiance and a little romance. To each their own, as long as it is within the rules/guidelines. September soon come and no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBandit View Post
    I'm interested in going to the Repeater's Dinner as this will be our first trip as repeaters! But I don't have appropriate heels, and the only ones I have that would really work will add weight and take up room in my luggage. Also makes me feel guilty wearing a light, flowing dress with heels when my husband has to wear long pants and closed toed shoes. So I'm not sure we'll end up doing to the Repeater's Dinner, which is disappointing
    There is no requirement for long pants and closed toe shoes at the repeaters dinner. In fact, I think a number of the men wear shorts and polo shirts, if I'm remembering correctly. And don't think any of the restaurants have the closed toe shoes requirement anymore. They just don't want flip-flops like one would wear to the beach/pool, but nicer sandals can be worn by men.

...my husband has to wear long pants and closed toed shoes.
    There are options for men that are resort friendly, comfortable, very light weight (for packing). I have a couple of pairs of shoes similar to these in tan and black and bring them to every couples trip. They are "dressy" enough for any restaurant or event, casual enough that I feel like I am on vacation in the Caribbean. I will wear them with a pair of pants similar to these (very light weight...essentially pajamas ) and a tropical collared shirt.

Granted, it costs a few dollars for the clothes, but I will be wearing this stuff for the 11th time in April...12th time booked for April 2017. I feel as though I am getting my money's worth.

Its the rules. Abide by them or dont go.. Simple as that!
    Dress up for your special someone to appreciate and just enjoy that!

45 Days!!!!

Default Dressing Down At Nice Dinners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokedmarlin View Post
    I'm always kind of sad to see how many ladies take the time to get nicely dressed up in the evening and the guys they are with walking about in shorts and a T-shirt. To each their own I suppose, but I don't think it's much to ask at all to throw on some slacks and a nice shirt. We're not talking dinner at Applebee's here. Step up your game and be a Gentleman!
    I got chewed out on the board some time ago for making this very point in response to a similar post.

It seems to me that what one would not do back home one wants to have accepted elsewhere and that the resorts' rules must be bent to suit those who cannot (or, refuse to) appreciate a few things.

To each his own; so, I would follow the rules (and common sense) and dress to suit the venue. More importantly, I know I would look decently-dressed next to my wife (and complement her, moreso) rather than look like something she picked up off the street and dragged into the restaurant.

The detractors can go ahead and crucify me once again.

My children used to complain about rules earlier in their life. Then they grew up.

I'm still chuckling at "dress shorts".

Quote Originally Posted by Sandym73 View Post
    Its the rules. Abide by them or dont go.. Simple as that!
    Dress up for your special someone to appreciate and just enjoy that!

45 Days!!!!
    We do - always have. That wasn't the point of the thread. The point was, jeans have now been added as approved, and no mention of hats not being allowed anymore. Changes have been made to allow for sandals. The dress code has been changed a lot the last 10 years but for some reason people are losing their mind at the idea of a nice pair of shorts for dinner, but not jeans or a hat.

It's amazing to me that so many people seem to proclaim that their vacation and their lives will be somehow adversely affected by what somebody else is wearing. Unless they seat somebody next to me that smells like a garbage dump or somebody who is loud and disorderly, I quite frankly could care less about them and I will ignore them. Yes, I follow the rules, whether I like them or not.

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by zany2some View Post
    my children used to complain about rules earlier in their life. Then they grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by g8rgirl View Post
    There is no requirement for long pants and closed toe shoes at the repeaters dinner. In fact, I think a number of the men wear shorts and polo shirts, if I'm remembering correctly. And don't think any of the restaurants have the closed toe shoes requirement anymore. They just don't want flip-flops like one would wear to the beach/pool, but nicer sandals can be worn by men.
    It looks like the Repeater's Dinner is at Eight Rivers at CTI. I know Eight Rivers has a dress code, but is it not enforced for the Repeater's Dinner? I assumed they would all be held at the nicer restaurants, but was reading through things last night and noticed that's not always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    There are options for men that are resort friendly, comfortable, very light weight (for packing). I have a couple of pairs of shoes similar to these in tan and black and bring them to every couples trip. They are "dressy" enough for any restaurant or event, casual enough that I feel like I am on vacation in the Caribbean. I will wear them with a pair of pants similar to these (very light weight...essentially pajamas ) and a tropical collared shirt.

Granted, it costs a few dollars for the clothes, but I will be wearing this stuff for the 11th time in April...12th time booked for April 2017. I feel as though I am getting my money's worth.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I do appreciate it as DH and I really have no fashion sense

I have been to quite a few repeaters dinners at Eight Rivers. I do not recall ever seeing ANYONE in shorts.
    It looks like the Repeater's Dinner is at Eight Rivers at CTI. I know Eight Rivers has a dress code, but is it not enforced for the Repeater's Dinner? I assumed they would all be held at the nicer restaurants, but was reading through things last night and noticed that's not always the case.

Thanks for the suggestions! I do appreciate it as DH and I really have no fashion sense

We live in a small market without Southwest and free bags, we have to pay $30-45$ per bag each way and that can be $150 each way and now they keep lowering the weight limit. Allegiant charges $30 for a carry on bag in our area.

We go on a lot of cruises and I used to take my tux and all of the accessories and dress pants and shirts for each day and now that airfare cost us more than the cruise we feel like we cannot afford to do that now and we have noticed that cruise lines have really relaxed their dress codes so it does not surprise me that nice resorts are forced to change theirs also.

I can see both sides, what do I care what anyone is wearing because how does that affect me? BUT if you have no dress codes then people will come barefoot.

We went to Hedo once 16 years ago and even they had a dress code in their restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    It's amazing to me that so many people seem to proclaim that their vacation and their lives will be somehow adversely affected by what somebody else is wearing. Unless they seat somebody next to me that smells like a garbage dump or somebody who is loud and disorderly, I quite frankly could care less about them and I will ignore them. Yes, I follow the rules, whether I like them or not.
    Couples goes to a lot of trouble to create an upscale ambiance at the one fancy restaurant in each resort. They are creating a particular experience and require people to dress in certain ways that are in line with the fine dining atmosphere they are going after. The food, the staff, the decor, and yes even the guests impact the ambiance. Will it ruin my trip if the guy next to me is wearing a ball cap? Certainly not. But it does diminish the setting and ambiance for me and the other guests. You may disagree with myself and others that what people wear can impact the ambiance and that's fine. I appreciate that you follow the rules.

Couples goes to a lot of trouble to create an upscale ambiance at the one fancy restaurant in each resort. They are creating a particular experience and require people to dress in certain ways that are in line with the fine dining atmosphere they are going after. The food, the staff, the decor, and yes even the guests impact the ambiance. Will it ruin my trip if the guy next to me is wearing a ball cap? Certainly not. But it does diminish the setting and ambiance for me and the other guests. You may disagree with myself and others that what people wear can impact the ambiance and that's fine. I appreciate that you follow the rules.
    We'll said smokedmarlin

I just bring a pair of Dockers, and then go back and change after dinner. I am not put out by that. I wish they'd never opened this can of worms by allowing dress jeans, and I wouldn't be surprised if they feel the same way. No good deed goes unpunished, management!

Well done. The strawman has been blown over.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    We do - always have. That wasn't the point of the thread. The point was, jeans have now been added as approved, and no mention of hats not being allowed anymore. Changes have been made to allow for sandals. The dress code has been changed a lot the last 10 years but for some reason people are losing their mind at the idea of a nice pair of shorts for dinner, but not jeans or a hat.
    THIS.....I'll follow the rules whatever they are but I take offense being told that people can wear jeans and hats but I can't wear my dress shorts. Everybody seems to be throwing a fit about the possibility of seeing somebody in shorts but where is the outcry about hats? I wouldn't sit down to dinner in McDonalds wearing a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    I wouldn't sit down to dinner in McDonalds wearing a hat.
    At least you found a venue for "dress shorts".
    Nobody asked what type of hat? There are stylish hats, you know; some go well with shorts.

I don't think people are defending the newer Couples relaxed dress code to allow "dress jeans". I feel that was a poor decision by management. Personally, I would rather see a man in a nice pair of shorts (not cargo shorts) than what passes for nice jeans (rips and all) these days. I also agree with the basic rule my mother taught me...men remove their hats when they come indoors. The problem really is two fold. First, Couples keeps bowing to pressures to lower their standards and secondly, they do not properly enforce the few rules that they have. This whole thing should not be a big issue as it is only one restaurant at each resort and one of the very few rules we are asked to live with. What else is there? Women must wear a cover up and men a shirt at all inside restaurants. Is it really asking too much to expect guests to follow these few simple rules??? I go on vacation to avoid stress and relax. Taking a pair of slacks and nicer sandals with me should be an insignificant worry or concern for anyone. At Feathers in CSA the AC is usually so turned up my wife wears a sweater and I am glad I had slacks on. After your meal go back to the room and change if it is too hot to enjoy the evening entertainment with slacks on. My wife would never dream of going to a high end restaurant ANYWHERE without putting on nice clothes and I respect and love her enough to do the same. Relax...leave the stresses at home...life is grand at Couples.

I am torn on this issue, but only a little because it matters so little to me. I figure that whatever dress code is set by management I will follow, and if I am not comfortable following it then just will eat at one of the other restaurants. Easy, and respectful of the wishes of management and to those who like the dress code. Not a big issue. But, having said that, I can also say that when I do eat at Otaheite, Casanova, etc... I am always in compliance with the dress code but I don't spend one second of my time there worrying about what others are wearing. It sometimes seems that some folks are not there to enjoy a romantic dinner with their SO as much as to scan the failings of the other guests clothing in order to be upset about it. I would suggest following the dress code out of respect for others, enjoying your dinner, and letting Couples management make decisions about who can eat there and what they should be wearing. Not my job, and I know I can trust Couples to do what they think needs to be done.
    The last thing I will add about this is what I was told by the manager of the nicest restaurant I ever frequented at a resort in Jamaica (Piacere sp? at the now defunct Lido Braco). They used to require a jacket for men in addition to dress pants, shoes, and a nice shirt. If you didn't have a jacket they would loan you one. I hate being that dressed up in Jamaica, but like Otaheite, it was a great dining experience. A large harp sat in one corner and a talented musician would play beautiful, quiet music during dinner and the guest would talk in quiet voices with the people at their table. I asked why the dress code was so strict and the manager told me that the more casually people were dressed in a restaurant the louder and more boisterous they were and that this turned a quiet, romantic dining experience into a gaggle of loud, nearly shouting voices and each person had to talk louder and louder to be heard over the others who had to do the same. My feeling is that this depends on the person more than what they are wearing... but I will admit that having been to a LOT of restaurants at a LOT of resorts since we started going to Jamaica back in the mid-80's that I do see some truth to what he said! But I still don't like to get dressed up on vacation. But one night? No problem. Enjoy, don't complain that you think the dress code is too strict because that is Couples decision, and don't complain about what others wear because that is Couples job, not yours. Just enjoy your dinner.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast