Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default WOW! 2017 price increase

Has anyone seen the 2017 price increases? Well I have. At least for CTI. Next year I will have to pay about $100.00 more per night for the same room I have this year. I don't know about you, but I think that increase is outrageous. I'm always expecting Couples to raise their rates each year, but this one is tough to take.
    We usually stay 10-12 days. That number will have to be shortened. We may also go down to another room category. I'm not happy. Nor are some others I know.

I seem to remember that this sort of thing happened before. The price list was released and it had just incredible increases just about everywhere. Then Couples retracted that price list and came up with a revised increase list that most of us could live with. I'm hoping that the powers that be take another look at their price structure for 2017.

I'm hoping that my TA, whom I have been using for a number of years, will give us enough of a discount price to ease the financial burden.

I would suggest that you check your resort of choice and room category for the 2017 prices. If the increase seems unusually high, please let management know of your feelings. They genuinely do want to hear from any of us. Let them know how you feel. If you post here on the MB, they will hear our voices.

I had the same issue. I am also the one (or one of the ones) that contacted Couples in 2014 when the outrageous 2015 rates came out and then they adjusted. I have emailed and started a thread on the board with no response from Couples for this rate increase. I was able to work with a travel agent a get a good price at CSA that is only a little over $100 more for 10/17 than I paid in 10/15. Very frustrating. Supply and demand I suppose.

Richie:

I agree totally! I was going to book for 2017 the other day, but I balked at the last minute. They do raise the rates each year but this year is very disproportionate from other years. We still love Couples but with the tolerance to larger groups descending on the place I have my doubts about returning in 2017. 2016 is booked so we will once again visit, but if management doesn't budge on the increase I will have to rethink my future travel plans. Sad....Very sad indeed

For us, the 2017 increase at CSS in mid-April is $128, or 35%, per night. After 10 trips, we'll definitely need to re-think 2017.

I've been in 3 different businesses in my life and at all of them it was much cheaper to keep your customers than to get new customers. I understand that businesses have to make a profit but these price increases are over the top. I would accept a reasonable yearly increase as the price of doing business and don't get me wrong we Love Couples resorts. The price for the exact category room from 2016 to 2017 for me at CSS is a $700.00 (22%) increase. I'm lucky if I see a 3% increase in my income. I can't continue my 7 year streak with an increase like this. We are being forced to either not go anywhere for a year or two or look for other options. Thanks

Crabracer, I'm right there with you! I caught the early booking special for our 2016 vacation. This year in April, it will run us $393/night with a $250 resort credit. For 2017, same deal, same time next year, same room costs $524/night. That's a 33% increase. Couples, please don't do this to us!

Even 2016 has gone up way too much from 2015 at CSA, & 2017 is off the hook! We have tried hard & spoke to management but to no avail, so after 22 visits to CSA, we will not be retuening this year. Very sad & very disapointing. So much for taking care of their long time loyal repeaters.

Is the increase you guys are seeing from the early booking rates of 2016 to the early booking rates of 2017? I'm truly curious if I'm missing something. We just took our first trip last month. I'm looking at booking Dec '16 and '17 and the rates for the room category I'm looking at are within five dollars a night. Was there a big jump from early booking '16 rates to the current '16 rates? I just want to get the best deal possible. Any input appreciated.

We've called and canceled our trip this year to pay for our trip next year (it's our 20 wedding anniversary) and explained with the new prices even in the lowest room category we can only afford to go every other year now. A long count down is better than no count down, looking for the bright side.

Crabracer

I had my TA quote me, and it is 17.5% increase for July 2016 vs. 2017. Just do not understand.

MJJ
    Irie Mon

Ours calculated out to about $97+ a night through Couples and about $60+ through our TA.
    Vicky

I hope they realize that they will lose customers or at least customers that go every year will be going less often with these kinds of price increases. Love couples but will not be returning after this year for awhile if they do not fix the rates.

$75 per night increase and went from 7 to 5 nights in hurricane season now. 2016 may be our last ��

The Couples brand may have become widely enough known that they don't need the steady revenue stream from long time repeaters….That, and just maybe management will be happy to NOT hear the regular drumbeat of "long timers" bemoaning the fact that the original Couples message has gradually been diluted from being a "Couples only" resort to a Grouples / Couples resort with all that new moniker brings….Sad….

Quote Originally Posted by OkieJam View Post
    Is the increase you guys are seeing from the early booking rates of 2016 to the early booking rates of 2017? I'm truly curious if I'm missing something. We just took our first trip last month. I'm looking at booking Dec '16 and '17 and the rates for the room category I'm looking at are within five dollars a night. Was there a big jump from early booking '16 rates to the current '16 rates? I just want to get the best deal possible. Any input appreciated.
    This is the same experience for me...I just do not see the huge increases that everyone is talking about. Maybe it is the time of year we choose to visit?
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
    CSS/CTI October 2018

For us, the new 2017 pricing for the same time, same room as 2016 translates to $114.50 ($167.00 cnd) more per night. We love Couples, but we're going to have to make ourselves think "Outside the Box", and not book trips #10 and #11.

Last edited by GardenGal; January 21st, 2016 at 12:51 PM.

Like everyone else I hate a price increase. However, you must remember that Couples is a business intended to make a profit by providing a service. It is all about supply and demand. As long as the room occupancy rate stays within an acceptable level, they will charge as much money as they feel they can get away with. At some point they will reach a tipping point and they will price themselves out of reach for many people and the occupancy rate will decline. At this point they will need to adjust their rates lower or offer more specials to raise their occupancy rates. Meaning that Couples feels there are enough people coming to their resort to justify this increase.

There are alternatives. You can save some money by selecting a cheaper room. But this doesn't save a whole lot of money. If you are flexible on your dates you can save even more money by going during the off season. This year we lowered the price of our stay by moving our travel dates by about 2 weeks and saved nearly $1000. Our last choice would be to find a different place for our vacation. We don't want to do this but we will find another place to go if the price gets too high. There are lots of less expensive alternatives in the Caribbean but you may need to sacrifice some of the inclusions.

I sure hope Couples doesn't drive away too many loyal returning customers because they just might never come back.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by OkieJam View Post
    Hope this helps to clarify. When I compare early booking for 2016 to 2017 we are seeing an increase of about $63 per night for same accommodations. Both booked through the Couples Website and both include $250 resort credit.

Booked March 2015 for November 2016, CSS, 7 nights, $2,366 or $338 per night.
    Current for November 2017, CSS, 7 nights, Same category, $2,807 or $401 per night.

Increase of over 18%

Right now, we're talking about maybe not going twice next year. That hurts. But even one time for a $1000.00 more is painful. Still hoping that management takes another long hard look at prices.

It's a shame that the TA's have to discount it and lose their income. I checked on pricing for the same dates in late April at CSA, in 2015 it was 451.00 per night, 2016 508.00 per night and 2017 it is 588.00 per night, that is close to a 1000.00 more for the week. Don't get me wrong, I love Couples, but to add airfare onto that, just can't do it

Our third trip is booked for April, after back to back trips in 2013 and 2014. We couldn't make a 2015 trip fit into our schedule.
    When I booked our trip for this year I really had to step back a bit. We love everything about CSS but the price increase compared to our previous trip was hard to swallow.
    We have already discussed that we may not return in 2017. These price increases may push us to that point.
    We would be disappointed, but I am sure we would find someplace else to drop a few thousand dollars.
    Last edited by vicnsue; January 21st, 2016 at 02:30 PM.

I am also extremely upset with the price increase. I went to CSS in April of 2015 and paid $2,695 for 7 nights (room only). The price is now over $900 higher for the same 7 nights for 2017. I checked the May prices and it does save $200 but that would still be an increase of over $700 and I really don't want to go in May. While I love CSS, I don't believe this price increase is justified. While I never go hungry at CSS, the food options are very limited. In addition, the drinks are very weak. Even though I will hate to move on to other destinations, I feel I will have no choice.

As they say, everything is relative. The price for nights at CSA have been going up steadily since our first yr in 2011, the quote im seeing for the same room/same dates for 2016 vs 2015 is an increase of over 40% yoy. Now i will admit, i felt like i got a spectacular deal last year, and that clearly has something to do with the extreme difference. I dont get real jazzed over the Resort Credits, would much prefer a break in the new pricing- so we may be forced to try something new this year- which may not be a bad thing. m&s

I have been looking at booking a December 2016 vacation and I must agree with the high prices making it difficult. My husband has been wanting to vacation somewhere new for several years and he just might get his wish. Guess I should contact my TA for suggestions.

Not sure if this will help anyone but ya never know. I priced CN for our 8th year this year booked for March 18 -26 and the price was much higher than previous years. I am an army veteran an noticed the Veterans advantage special and decided to check it out. It took me from nearly $4900 down to just over $4100. All it cost me was a $50 membership for the year. It comes with a ton of savings. My sister was in the national guard so I had her apply and her and her husband also saved the same amount to come with us.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast