Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    Yeah... calling BS on that. As all employees are identified with a name badge, I find it extremely hard to believe one would risk their job "asking" for your tips.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was true actually. We certainly had two long term staff members at CSS ask if we could bring them iphones or ipads when we went to CSS last time (last year). I was shocked. It was as if we, in Europe, have a multitude of Apple devices that we are just waiting to give away. For most products in the UK (inc Apple) we pay as much in 's as you do in $'s. Needless to say, we politely explained that we weren't in a position to pass these things on, however kind the member of staff might be.

During our last visit to CSA in the spring of 2015, we noticed a change as well. There were bigger groups on the beach and in the restaurants, and larger groups of younger people who were opening smoking weed on the beach. Although the staff were more friendly and seemed happier than our previous stay in July 2013, we noticed that the service wasn't as attentive at the beach bar. At times, we almost felt we were bothering them when ordering a drink and felt we were interrupting a conversation or break.
    During our last visit, we noticed more people were providing water to and feeding the stray dogs right from their beach chairs which resulted in the dogs hanging out beside the loungers. We even saw guests feed dogs entire burgers they brought from the Cabana Grill. The dogs would then come sniffing around our chairs looking for something. I feel when guests water/feed the dogs from the loungers, it is a lack of consideration for other guests who may be allergic to dogs or have a dog phobia.
    Our previous trip to CSA was July 2013 and the trip was very different. There were many more couples as opposed to groups (many couples we chatted with were on their honeymoon) and we never saw one stray dog hang out on the Couples section of the beach.

Yeah... calling BS on that. As all employees are identified with a name badge, I find it extremely hard to believe one would risk their job "asking" for your tips.
    I really resent that comment. Are you calling me a liar? Yeah... employees have name badges and I could tell you their names, but I won't. We were very friendly with several employees over the course of our 7 night stay and made the stupid mistake of thinking that they actually liked us. Only to have one ask on our last day, "Didn't I take good care of you? Are you going to take care of me?" with his hand out. I was so taken aback that I lied and said I had to go up to my room to get money but never went back. I don't want to get people fired. I just want this to stop. Another security guard flat out asked my husband for some money. I realize, however, that they are not technically Couples employees, but it was still upsetting.

Prior to our last visit (April 2014), I can honestly say that we never had any negative experiences (3 prior visits to CSA and one to CTI). The last one was the whammy where it all hit at once.

After our last visit, we did discuss our issues -- both with large groups and tipping -- with the management. They were responsive and apologetic. I'm just a little upset to hear that little has been done to improve the issues. We are planning to return to CSA this summer (after more than a year away) because we truly do miss Jamaica and the Couples we fell in love with. I'm tempering my expectations and am definitely prepared to react more appropriately if I have any unusual requests from employees. I'm a friendly, talkative person and wanted to be sure all the employees I came into contact with knew how much I appreciated all they did to make my vacation so wonderful. Before, I went out of my way to be friendly and I think that led some to believe that I might be gullible. This time, I won't go overboard with it. I will still be polite and friendly, but will keep it a business-like, employee/customer relationship.
    Last edited by lvmcgill; March 2nd, 2016 at 04:13 PM.

We were at CSA late February of 2016 and was not impressed with the food. Not as good as it used to be. More than once nearly all of the food we were served was cold. On Italian night at the Palms everything we ate was cold. One night at the Patios the ribs my wife ordered were cold. It also took a very long time for our main entree to be served during this meal, much longer than usual. Like we were forgotten. The Beach Party was moved to the Palms because of weather. They ran out of tables inside and we accepted an offer to be served outside near the pool. A big mistake. We were forgotten about. Had to go inside to track down a server because there were no salt and pepper shakers. Had to track down a server to get water. But they never returned to refill our glass. No one returned to offer us anything from the bar. Put outside and forgotten. And you guessed it, cold food again. I feel cold food at any Couples restaurant is completely unacceptable. For what it costs, the food should always be outstanding. Maybe this is why the resort didn't seem to have as many people as it should for this busy time of year.

We also feel the entertainment is not as good as in the past at CSA. The Beach Party night and International night entertainment was not all that special.

We didn't let these things ruin our stay and we still had a good time. But because of our disappointment with the food and entertainment chances are we won't return to CSA. Maybe we will go back to CTI or CN the next time around.
    Jack and Kathy
    CSA 2007, 2010, and 2016. CTI 2012, 2014. CN 2016 (Trading Places only), 2018, 2020. 2023?

I am very surprised with the comment on the food - I just returned last week and I thought the food was better than prior trips! Very tasty and a good variety. There will always be items that I don't care for but that is just a personal preference not a quality isssue. Never had any problems with service in any of the restaurants either.

We were there during the last week of February and didn't notice any appreciable difference in the food. I did notice that the kitchen at Patois was extremely slow, but at least they got everything right and it was the correct temperature.

We will be going to CSA next week. I will post how everything is. This will be our 11th year in a row. Let's see.

I haven't complained on this official message board site before, but with 17 trips to all four resorts in the past 10 years, I feel I have some insight. Naturally, our first experience was fabulous, that was Negril, 2007. Many reasons we may hold this one trip in our memory so well is that it was our first trip to Jamaica and we were delighted. During the next five years, we would notice some things slipped but not enough for us to feel we needed a manager's attention. We left honest reviews on the check out sheet, and like some of you, we heard nothing. This past December-January trip was one week at CTI and one week at CSS. Our garden junior suite was old but clean, with a view that looked out over the a/c units and kitchens. The staff was fine, not great and I know it's their job and nobody is thrilled with their job all the time, a main reason most of us go is because of the service. There was no "towel art." We never had fresh flowers, designs made of petals, and many of the extra's we had come to expect. While nothing striking to point out, it definitely felt less special. Week #2 at CSS. What a disaster!!! Rude employees, no more towel art, rude guests. We actually couldn't wait to leave for home. Not once did a manager come by our table or chairs at the beach and ask if we were enjoying our vacation. Every previous year, management frequently did this. We also found the house photographer to be always where you didn't want him, ask you to rearrange your dinner seating so he could take a photo. We think if you want your picture taken, the photographer is always available. Anyway, while I write this I have to tell you we are going to CTI for two weeks again this winter. While Couples may be slipping, we still love the fresh food, beautiful scenery, immaculate accommodations and can't really decide anywhere we'd rather go. I do hope Message Board admins read this. If I posted this on TA or another travel website, management would address issues right away. That doesn't seem to happen on this MB.

In 6 trips to CN since 2010 I have noticed that every year it seems that more and more top shelf alcohol can only be found in the piano bar. What concerns me more is that I have also noticed that the past couple of years the employees have not seemed nearly as happy. Not necessarily rude, they still did their job satisfactorily they just didn't seem happy. Don't know if there were changes in management that caused this but I am confident that it wasn't my imagination. We went to a nice resort in the Dominican this year instead. I did however just book 9 nights at CN for Feb 2017. Hopefully I don't regret my decision.

When at CN in 2014, we had a housekeeper tell us (not verbatim) that they would be open to accepting monetary tips from us. Its a shame because we are very firm believers in the no tipping policy, and we really liked her until that point.

I would love to respond to the tipping thing and what happened with us, but everytime I tried posting about it, they either edit what I write, or sensor it. And I don't want to junk up the fb page with it.

Blog Entries

Jamietrish,

Your post was shared with the resorts in question and Mr. Lynch has responded to you via email.

Please note that we do value all guests feedback.
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Blog Entries

Hi FuzzyCow,

Please be assured that we are appreciative of ALL feedback received. We do periodically censor some comments or edit posts and an explanation is always sent to guests explaining why.

With regards to tipping, this issue has been explained by me on numerous occasions and also covered on our website in the FAQ. http://couples.com/faq.

I will however once again use this forum to advise guests that ANY staff caught taking/soliciting tips WILL BE FIRED once caught.

Regards,
    Michelle Gordon
    ------------------
    On-Island Social Media Coordinator
    Couples Resorts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2